A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Barbara Brooks »

These two moments, gets recognition by the fact of being determinate, for what is done by self is properly an action on the part of self. The process is twofold, purpose and the labor, both these moments, “thinghood”; one is self-consciousness, the immediate relation of self-existence, at the other labor, which keeps self in bondage. Labor is a chain from which self cannot get away.
Intranaut

Post by Intranaut »

Most every time I log in I find something new here from you. But no-one else. Bar Chaz.
Without trying to sound like Chaz, why do you continue to post here? If you don't mind my asking.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Why does the world go round. Is there a rule I can not write?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The law of human life imparts harmony and friendship and a most complete existence. Have patience under distress do not give way to indolence, nothing is gained by impatience as we do not know whether such what we do is good or bad. Refuse to be led away by mere opinion hold on and make purpose actual; no lamenting that sort of thing arises from opinion.
Intranaut

Post by Intranaut »

No no, feel free to do so, I'm just curious.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I must write. If I do not write my life is bland everyday the same old thing. I found PhilosophyNow in 2006 and got into a habit of writing here almost daily.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Monday has past I have not finished my book proposal. What I have done so far is write a near finished overview. I've written two decent sample chapters but I am no where near finished. I have given myself a new deadline to finish.

Writing is unfortunately only an attitude of life, once written down is a solemn silence they are tumbled about anywhere among those who may or may not understand them. Words can be maltreated, abused, having not been looked after nothing to protect words nor can words defend themselves.

I write in order that I may be able to say and act what is acceptable always to God; there is an old saying that a person of sense should not try to please people, at least this should not be their prime reason, but write for good and noble God. And if the road is long and rough, one should not worry not at this, for where the end is great, the road may take longer.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Then beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on my simplicity. I mean the true simplicity of a rightly and nobly ordered mind and character, not that other simplicity that is only a euphemism for folly. We cannot grow up amid images of moral wrong. Nor browse and feed upon many a baneful herb and flower.The true nature of the beautiful and graceful, effluence fair works. Draw the mind from earliest years into likeness of reason shall flow into her eye and ear, like a health giving breeze from a purer region.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Knowing self is the beginning element of pure knowing and because pure knowing is absolute truth of reason all things which fall under the mind nothing so remote that cannot be reasoned.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Knowledge the instrument of reason comes on the scene and liberates mind to carry out reason. Perception can never assure us of anything, if knowledge does not intervene. The mind does not change on the contrary, the change takes place only outside the mind.

Whereas knowledge is science the ultimate absolute truth means to exercise reason Little by little, raise your mind to everything that gives knowledge. In the unconscious mind is immediate reflection of self the sphere of feeling; distinguishing wakefulness from sleep is immediate reflection into self where as knowledge is lodged in the body as a pilot and is very closely united to nature, so to speak is derived from nature.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

When knowledge takes root citizens grow and become well educated. I mean knowledge that took place centuries ago a revival of such is needed to advance humankind.

The whole heaven and all creation would stand still or collapse never again to move or begotten without knowledge, because knowledge has power to draw mind from becoming to being.
Intranaut

Post by Intranaut »

Not to say that you should not write here, please do continue, but perhaps you should consider a diary as well?
If not just in case the internet or power is out and you feel like writing :D
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I am prolific, I produce much fruit. I do not regard my talent as my own but always the people. A musician, or a doctor, should not profit more than their skill; and this should be as standard law and not exceed it.

Art means the ruin and overthrow of self; thus, art can be looked upon as the path of or more properly the highway of anguish. This pathway of intention can certainly not be to handed self over to the mere opinion of others, criticize hampers any art and the artist becomes powerless of what it was undertaking.

To bring my art into actuality is not a chance accident is through study and understanding, not dragging my feet which is something inherent in all of us.
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

To bring my art into actuality is not a chance accident is through study and understanding, not dragging my feet which is something inherent in all of us.

Why do you think that feet-dragging, dilly-dallying, shilly-shallying procrastination is ' inherent' in all of us ?
Is delay some kind of natural defence ? A negative or a positive ? An avoidance of stress....

Perhaps some people shy away from 'doing' through fear, uncertainty? They need to be sure before they expend their energy on a project with potential heavy costs ?

If you experienced this, how did you make the 'leap' ? I know you studied and persevered but what is the 'push' factor ?
Or is it more of a compulsion than a propulsion ?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophy is my hard-earned treasure. The problem is no one wants to know it because we sentient creatures are comfortable wallowing in “feet-dragging, dilly-dallying, shilly-shallying procrastination” but someday philosophy may very likely emerge into light again.

Socrates believed the philosopher who endures to the end and has done well will carry off the prize. The prize is compared the same case of runners, who run well from the starting-place to the end, but not back again from the end: they go back creeping away; the true runner comes to the finish, receives the prize, and is crowned.

Lodged in the philosopher’s heart is knowledge which is not so far from the heaven’s happiness. Those impelled to learn and never satisfied are justly called philosopher.