A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Socrates believed philosophy is merely a process of recovering truth. Those who know only remember. To know the very truth of each being is the greatest of all great qualities in the state of affairs in any society.

But those who mosey in this region of truth wanting in knowledge of true being eternal and unchangeable are not philosophers. They are unable to look at the absolute truth to guard them and preserve the orderliness of them.

The philosophical mind always loves what shows knowledge the eternal nature not the varying from generation and corruption. We love true being from our earliest youth were drawn off into another channel towards knowledge, absorbed in the pleasures of knowledge in every form I mean, that is if we are true philosophers and not shams

Truth is knowledge for which we philosophers must carry out the command of the God of knowledge "Know Thyself" look in self at what is truth.

What is truth but the assurance of being not just belief of self but purpose? Self is the supreme ruler, autonomous, self-determining, feeling, perceiving, and reasoning, willing a reflective system that determines logically our relationship with humankind.

Self hard driven by life oppressed, entangled in materiality and pleasures get lost but can be re-illuminated. Reconciliation follows destruction is what history shows us, successions of noble thinkers and the spirit of the people have labored their way out of apathy.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Barbara,
(This is not a moderator speaking)
Have you heard of Blogging? It may be more suitable and you may reach a wider audience.
Kim
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Arising_uk wrote:Hi Barbara,
(This is not a moderator speaking)
Have you heard of Blogging? It may be more suitable and you may reach a wider audience.
Kim

AWWW Arising, I like Barbara's posts. I look in on her from time to time and she never ceases to give me that creative boost. In all honesty, do you think the forum would be the same without her posts? Have you noticed how she correlates her writings around what is going on in the PN forum? Besides it's not like we have a huge female population around here...PN needs the estrogen if nothing else! :wink:
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Kim,

I feel like a bird being pushed out of "the nest" for the first time in order to fly by itself. I do think you are right and will check it out.

Barbara
Arising_uk

Bugger!

Post by Arising_uk »

I'd hoped it would not be read this way.

Hi AS,
Like you I enjoy dipping into the stream of consciousness that is Barbara. I have noticed the correlation and would not wish Barbara to disappear as it would be a loss to this forum.

Hi Barbara,
I have no intention or power to nest push :) It was just an observation that occurred to me whilst reading one of your posts where it occurred to me that a blog might be a more suitable format for your ambitions. Please do not take this in any way or form as criticism of yourself or the thread.
Kim
p.s. if you do learn to fly please remember where the nest is :)
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Kim,
Please don’t think I am upset by your idea of me starting my own blog. I actually like the idea but I would like to stay in the forum for I feel a kinship ihere.

Socrates determined that there should ever be friendship among the good, that that is most likely where we can find happiness.

The happy friend in this pilgrimage of life lives in the light always. As the spectator of all time harmonious, just, and gentle, even in youth is lodged in the philosopher’s heart. Happiness leads to order and virtue; now is there any greater blessing than friendship and pleasure?

Barbara
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Artisticsolution,

I love philosophy but cannot explain the reason why, I appear to be caught up in some sort of infectious blindness beholding me, there I cease from pain, and when away, I long for its friendship.

What is begotten has a beginning but the beginning is begotten of nothing, for if it were begotten then the begotten would not come from a beginning.

Therefore as a child, we knew nothing, and not knowing anything started with a clean slate accepting anything at all given until knowledge’s gentle hand came to aid us and lift me up to understanding.

Philosophy my dearest friend can any thing present any greater blessing than this? They live in light always, happy companions in the pilgrimage. Magnificent observer of all time and all existence is the philosopher is surely to be just and gentle, and have good memory quick, noble, gracious, the friend of truth, justice, courageous, and temperate.Will not rest in the multiplicity of appearance only, but go not blunted, or subsided the love of wisdom lodges in the philosophers heart, its dearest friends it cannot refuse anything, even with the arguments of shame and reason.

Barbara
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Now you're making me all weepy. :)
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Come visualize the mind from the standpoint truth. I am fascinated with truth am forever directed towards things that are all in order moving. Truth framed by the mind tested by the senses is certainty of being because truth is merely "I think, therefore I am”. Only when self comes forward asserts bare and simple truth.

Truth is not so far indeed from total pleasure, through reflection comes truth and with it compassion for other kindness this is a power everyone has, truth a given and most good

Then truth is a search, a process of seeking declaring that absolute truth. What is great and what is small knowledge l arises when there involves the conception of plurality. The eyes see both small and great yes but only in a confused manner, summoned to the aid is knowledge.

Through knowledge comes truth and with it feeling, this power everyone has and is most good. The essential principle of knowledge embraces nothing less.

The whole realm of truth is set forth the medium of the senses; what is great and what is small arises the distinction of the visible and the intelligible world.

We perceive things only by the help of sight, hearing, or some other senses but before seeing or hearing or perceiving must have knowledge. The criterion of knowledge is wisdom, insight, and understanding and feeling, determining and distinguishing the outside world.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Tyrants have two irrational principles they are unnecessary pleasures and insatiable desires.

A shameful sort of people, it comes from having a cheap and mean father causing them to live lawless life, in other words perfectly free. They are lords over the idle and greedy, who Socrates called them a sort of monstrous winged drone.

When let loose, they come buzzing around; Love is their lord of the house within and every day and every night desire grows and the demand. Tyranny is more, like the young sparrows crowding in the nest crying aloud for food the gorge at each other.

Where is justice it can hardly be distinguished, broken crushed, and damaged by huge waves of injustice, covered in seaweed and shells and stones, undistinguishable like some ogre?

Thought when asleep, and this happens to good people too, tyranny gets up walks about without any shame; and acts foolish instead of having good principles.

Exposure is the cure. Tyranny needs to be approached so that the gentler element is freed; and temperance, justice, and wisdom the most perfect harmony of body and mind reappears.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

A child knows nothing, and not knowing accepts any mere opinion at all given to them until knowledge’s gentle hand cams to aid and lifts them up to understanding.

Knowledge frees the virtuous elements leads to order even when in poverty or sickness, or any other misfortunes, all things by the pursuit of virtue will end good as far as we can attain a likeness of good,

Knowledge is the instrument of reason. Knowledge comes on the scene liberates reason from night to light.

Come embrace knowledge through the eyes that, which are the windows of the mind, come water and fill the mind.

Visualize from the standpoint of knowledge and truth life’s definite unchanging scheme of things. Come be fascinated be forever directed towards things that are all in order moving. That is why I write, in order to draw mind toward knowledge and truth, which is what reason means.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Wisdom presides over just and good actions. A wise person abstracts and defines rationally the idea of good, and runs the challenge of all objections, and is ready to refute anyone, not by opinion, but truth, and never stumbling at any step of the argument.

Unless we can do all this, you would all say that we know neither the idea of good nor any other good; you would say we apprehend opinion, and not by knowledge.

To go through the entire intellectual discipline and study, which dialectic knowledge requires an unwearied solid person who is a lover of work of any line or we will never be able to endure the type of knowledge, is that which raises a pang in the heart of philosophers. The sweetness of learning, embraces freethinking and absolute reason; a philosophical mind always loves knowledge of a sort that shows the everlasting not so far from the heaven of pleasure.
straw dog

Post by straw dog »

Barbara Brooks wrote:A child knows nothing, and not knowing accepts any mere opinion at all given to them until knowledge’s gentle hand cams to aid and lifts them up to understanding.

To understanding what ? The plot of Eastenders ? Metaphysics ?
The meaning of life ?

Knowledge frees the virtuous elements leads to order even when in poverty or sickness, or any other misfortunes, all things by the pursuit of virtue will end good as far as we can attain a likeness of good,

Virtues are animal in nature ; they are innate as means of evading enemies and finding food.

Knowledge is the instrument of reason. Knowledge comes on the scene liberates reason from night to light.

Knowledge works independantly from reason.
Reason can refute knowledge and show it to be in error.

Come embrace knowledge through the eyes that, which are the windows of the mind, come water and fill the mind.

What ever happened to sentence structure ?

Visualize from the standpoint of knowledge and truth life’s definite unchanging scheme of things. Come be fascinated be forever directed towards things that are all in order moving. That is why I write, in order to draw mind toward knowledge and truth, which is what reason means.
Ive never known anyone say so much and mean so little.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Philosophy is above opinion goes to the first principle, truth and without the aid of any sensible thing, only from ideas, through ideas, and in ideas philosophy concludes. Not opinion not shadows, and disputing about things with tainted eyes, and making no good attempt to go beyond opinions
Wisdom presides over just and good actions. A wise person abstracts and defines rationally the idea and all objections, ready to refute anyone, not by opinion, but truth, and never stumbling at any step of the argument.

Unless we can do all this, you would all say that we know neither the idea of good nor any other good; you would say we apprehend opinion, and not knowledge.

To go through the entire intellectual discipline and study, which dialectic knowledge is required only an unwearied solid person who is a lover of work of any line or will never be able to endure the type of knowledge, which philosophers endure . The sweetness of learning, embraces knowledge of a sort that shows the everlasting not so far from the heaven of pleasure.
straw dog

Post by straw dog »

Barbara Brooks wrote:Philosophy is above opinion goes to the first principle, truth and without the aid of any sensible thing, only from ideas, through ideas, and in ideas philosophy concludes. Not opinion not shadows, and disputing about things with tainted eyes, and making no good attempt to go beyond opinions
Wisdom presides over just and good actions. A wise person abstracts and defines rationally the idea and all objections, ready to refute anyone, not by opinion, but truth, and never stumbling at any step of the argument.

Unless we can do all this, you would all say that we know neither the idea of good nor any other good; you would say we apprehend opinion, and not knowledge.

To go through the entire intellectual discipline and study, which dialectic knowledge is required only an unwearied solid person who is a lover of work of any line or will never be able to endure the type of knowledge, which philosophers endure . The sweetness of learning, embraces knowledge of a sort that shows the everlasting not so far from the heaven of pleasure.
You cant communicate with the dead or the insane.