A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

Arising_uk wrote: What sort of skeptic 'falls to their knees and prays to a God... a_uk
Doubting Thomas comes to mind. :lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

John W. Kelly wrote:Doubting Thomas comes to mind. :lol:
I think you'll find he fell to his knees and pledged alligence to his Lord and then God, but apart from that, what kind of modern-day skeptic is he? I'd kill him again just to check he wasn't Rasputin.
a_uk
John W. Kelly

Post by John W. Kelly »

:lol:
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

U K,

It happened when I got to the chapter on religion, which was about God being light spirit and how religion possesses the moment of being consciousness and objectivity. I realized the pure ego, the certainty of self, is the interfusion of all thought and all reality.

I have no idea if Hegel was laughed at but I do know had he had a speech impediment that made what he was saying hard to understand.

What is truth but reality? The pure inner essential being comes forward with the world over against it that is truth. The whole Godly like relation between inner and outer is like the crystal nucleus that lets the molecules integrants attach themselves to the outside of the nucleus in a kind of successive series crystallizing the immaterial through and through.
Diomedes71

Post by Diomedes71 »

Barbara Brooks wrote:U K,

I realized the pure ego, the certainty of self, is the interfusion of all thought and all reality.
Could you please explain the error you had found in your previous 'sceptical' reasoning. I don't feel you can reasonably claim your 'self' is an interfusion of all thought (I presume you mean your thoughts) and ALL reality. What are your premises for this conclusion. I take it for one you believe the 'self' to exist separate from the physical body?

Regards
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Of course it was my thoughts
Diomedes71

Post by Diomedes71 »

Hi
Sorry for being pedantic, just i was a little unsure, I am really unsure about how much of reality you own.

As for clarifying the error of your ways it seems as your disposed to do so. I would posit you had a Religious experience/ emotional reaction to which of course there would be no underlying logic.

Regards
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I think I own as much as you.
Diomedes71

Post by Diomedes71 »

I think you miss my point.

If I am real, then I am a part of your Ego. No?

If your 'self' is an interfusion of your though and reality.

I guess I need you to clear up what you mean by interfusion. But I guess you won't.

Possibly you'll reply

I didn't miss your point OR No your not part of my Ego.

I don't really understand why you are choosing to avoid my actual questions. I would much rather you ignore me completely thanx.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Diomedes71,

What is your actual point?
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Hi Babs,
Keep writing and remember: illegitimus non tatum carborundum.
Never let the bastards get you down. :P
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Thanks RachelAnn, I love ya
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Diomedes71

Yes the mind the self has the power to act from within outward is amazing like voice which can be wonderful in its utterance of self-feeling. Voice is a spiritual mechanism. True metals sound but do not show a specific quality until it has been struck or stimulated from outside; get voice sounds its own accord, announces our spiritual nature by vibrating inwardly which causes the air in us to vibrate.

To grasp the spirit of nature we must approach in a partly practical and partly theoretical way. Knowledge the acme of scientific procedure will continue to be ignorant analogies passed off as divine knowledge.

Dialectic philosophy is of intellect only arrives at the perception of the absolute good and sight imitates it. At lasts the end of the intellectual world, as in the case of sight at the end of the visible.

Here let us try not to grapple I elieve the 'self' to exist separate from the physical body?
koyaanisqatsi

Post by koyaanisqatsi »

Barbara Brooks wrote:Thanks RachelAnn, I love ya
Barbara - this little aside has sort of made my day. Sincerely. I really like to hear your spontaneous voice in response to other members here - it sort of offers me more points of view to occupy when I grapple with your postings - which I do try to follow.

:D

It's nice to just hear from you.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Koy,
koyaanisqatsi wrote:...It's nice to just hear from you.
You mean from the 'you' you like? Or can understand?