A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Why?
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

Interesting that the whole raison d'etre of the forum is met by a quizzical 'why?'. Do you suffer from agarophobia - are you afraid to venture outside of your thread?

There is ample material of mine which is available and open to criticism - please, be my guest. If you don't want to then I'll write something here especially for you to criticise. Erm.......erm.........Ooh...I know:

I've been getting interested through a conversation we've been having in 'aesthetics' about the limits of philosophy. I'm been getting intimations that reasoning can only get us so far and that there are realms of understanding that lie outside of reason - for example of beauty. For example, logical thought always seems to rest on axioms that are in themselves undemonstratable. It seems to follow therefore that everything we say is unfounded and rests on a kind of myth or invention. I try to imagine living without thought but clearly I can't, and the very act requires the intellection that is so problematic. What do you say on this - is there anything that can be known with certainty? Can one act without the aid of the intellect?

Look forward to your thoughts. Please correct me where I have erred or where my reasoning is specious. if I am wrong please feel free to ridicule me.

Nick
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Nikolai,

I am sorry but it is not my place to correct you where you have erred or where your reasoning might be baseless. I don’t feel comfortable to ridicule or correct yours or anyone else's way of thinking.
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

And I'm sorry for ridiculing your writing style. But I'm with Koy when I say that its nice to hear you speaking as yourself once in a while - and I'm sure you've got a great deal to contribute
koyaanisqatsi

Post by koyaanisqatsi »

Go on Barbara, give 'em as good as you get! :wink:
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Socrates believed that in heaven there is laid up a model that may set us in order but whether such a one exists, or ever will exist in fact, is no importance for philosophers will live after that manner having nothing to do with any other.

Masters of self-emancipating the virtuous element leads to philosophy. Let us not slave in the acquisition of knowledge, for any kind of knowledge acquired under force does not stay in mind.

That which is rigid and closed is powerless. Rigidity exists if it does not lose its hold and breaks down internally, like the moon is a rigid body representing earth's nucleus and contains the principle of abstract individuality.

Comets and moons as opposition this relationship of the heavenly bodies constitutes the cosmic foundation of the universal life in which all living beings participate.

Wisdom, insight, understanding, and observation being the pathway of knowledge embrace nothing more than the entire system of consciousness. Life is grasped only through thought, because of the perpetual actions of earth. Wherever there is inner and outer, cause and effect, and means subjective-objective, there is life.

Parmenides believed thought is the utmost limit of being perfect on every side. Then the form of perfection is a well-rounded sphere, which extends in all directions equally from its centre. That is perfection, for it can be neither bigger nor less significant in one part or another.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Laboring anything into something has great significance; nothing becomes something only through labor. The process has a twofold, reason and labor. To succeed in attaining something and finding satisfaction we must enter into labor without qualification and without reserve. First the true certainty of self, second, labor from which is our chain, for labor keeps us in bondage can not get away but through labor we succeed attaining.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

People are most likely to find happiness with friends in this pilgrimage always live in light.

Philosophy the spectator of all time is harmonious, just, and gentle, lodges in the heart even in youth. Happiness depends upon the better elements of the mind leading to order and reason freeing the virtuous elements of happiness. Now tell me is there any greater blessing than friendship and the pleasure that burst with passion?

Philosophy should be a living adapted language, using the right application of words that implants belief. Thrasymachus described the nature of language to be easy or hard showed how some minds are persuaded by particular form and others are not.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Thoughts cannot possibly be all true because we are not altogether perfect, thoughts must infallibly be met with truth our waking experience rather than in that of dreams. Truth is not so evident nor so complete during sleep as during wakefulness, although sometimes our imaginations are then just as lively and acute, or even more so,

Reason assures us that what we do is true because the senses cannot ever assure us anything. It is knowledge that lights up the chaos, distinguishes truth from error is properly called reason. There are two main divisions in reason one is truth and the other knowledge.

Then a person inexperienced in knowledge have wrong ideas about pleasure and pain and the intermediate state; so that when they are only being drawn towards the painful they feel pain and think the pain which the experience to be real, and in like manner, when drawn away from pain to the neutral or intermediate state but they firmly believe that they have reached the goal of satiety and pleasure; they are in err contrasting pain with the absence of pain like contrasting black with grey instead of white.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Little things elaborated how absurd! Whenever anyone says to you they have found someone who knows all things and knows more then anyone else, they are unable to see truth.

Those who want to see truth must take a longer and winding road, Imperfect is not the measure of anything. The most finished picture nothing else should satisfy you and never lose sight of the higher truth that all things become useful and advantageous through good.

The way is long and circuitous but wonder not at this for where the end is great may take a longer path.

What rules self is knowledge. The object of knowledge is thought is the rational principle of self, whereas the other principle of self may be termed more the ally of pleasures and satisfactions.

Learning embraces freethinking and the ultimate absolute reason we are here, there can be nothing so remote that we cannot reason. Knowing raises a pang of emotion in the philosopher but this knowing is possessed by every one, offered to everyone, and made plain for all.

I do not claim to present new ideas because there is nothing new under the sun my thoughts come from the ancient philosophers but I don’t say it the way they did I use my own style and words that suits today's language. At least I try to, for what is being discussed here is hard and not something, that can be written casually for everyone to understand.

The sweetness of learning embraces freethinking and is the ultimate absolute reason I am here,
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Metalleity is the principle of all coloring of material things. Every metal in its pure state has a particular color, for example, gold is solid yellow color and iron is a loadstone color. Color even vegetables with their indigo coloring, and the redness of blood can be traced to the metal iron.

Color can be altered by chemical processing or heat , example silver when heated reaches a point where it attains a bright luster this is called silver gleam, it is only a moment can not be prolonged, But before this silver gleam runs through all the colors of the rainbow in sequence red, yellow, green, and blue. The same as refined steel heated it takes on a yellow color, but if quickly removed from heat keeps this color, but as soon as it is heated again becomes darker yellow and soon into purple. This purple color is hard to retain and turns into a deeper blue, the deep blue is fixed if it is taken form the heat and put in ashes, but if heated further becomes bright blue and remains that. Here the mere alteration of the body produces various colors.

The chemical process of color is yellow is acid and the chemical process blue is alkalis. Not only metal changes color under chemical change, the juices of all blue and violet flowers change into green by alkalis and a red by acids. The extracts of red wood plants turn yellow by acids and violet by alkalis. Yellow plants subject to heat as turned dark by alkalis and loses almost all their color under the actions of acids.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I love this Barbara but I don't think I understand it.
Here's my current understanding.
All colour comes from metals(as defined by chemistry yes?). 'Lodestone' is not a colour I understand, as 'lodestone' appears to be a property. Are you talking about red? With respect to plants are you talking about 'veins' being distinguished because they are red?

I've not seen 'silver gleam' but I'll take your word for it. What do you think the rainbow sequence means?
I'll certainly come to you when I need to make a blade but only if you can associate the properties of "sharpness, hardness and flexibilty" with colour and the heat of a furnace. What do you think the gap between the yellows means?
The rest I cannot model yet but understand that it may rest upon why I think you are proposing an opposition between these two things.
(Or its just all communication via words :) )
a_uk
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Actually, these ideas come from Hegel’s interpretation of Goethe’s theory of color. The primary colors are, yellow, blue and red, have an immediate obscuration, also included green even though by mixture. The first color is yellow, a bright ground and a duller illuminated yellow. That is why the sun looks yellow. Blue the other hand, is shaded through by a darker ground, example, the sky looks blue because of the atmosphere, but when no atmosphere in the sky, the sky looks black, where there is vapor it looks blue and on high mountains looks deep dark blue, almost black-blue. Between yellow and blue comes the color red and green. Red can be deepened; yellow is deepened into red by a darker tinge and blue when given a lighter tinge turns red. Therefore red is this active powerful color, which is the extreme intensity of both yellow and blue.

Yellow and blue when they coincide create green the common neutrality. Goethe believed red and green corresponds to fire and water, they are the mediating colors. One color instructs the other color; yellow instructs violet, orange blue, purple green, and vice versa. These are called complimentary colors, included are the yellowish and bluish shadows of the morning and evening due to contrast.

Red and green have an affinity to each other; they are in opposition yet pass readily into each other. In a meadow, where nothing but green is seen and the sky is clear, the trunk of the trees and the path have a reddish sheen. Another example, if a stick of red sealing wax is laid on a piece of paper and one stares at it for some time and then looks away, a green object is seen. If a red glass is held behind candlelight the illumination is red; if a second candle is added the other shadow looks green because they are complimentary to each other.

Pressure produces different colors which is the alteration of cohesion. When a lens is pressed on a glass plate, the point of contact is at first one color, but as the pressure is increased, the color spreads out into a number of rings of different colors. If the alteration of cohesion goes further, we have colors that become iridescent, as on a pigeon's neck. The body being pressed to points of an actual break down in one. This is called pigmentation, the interior color, e.g., gold is yellow. Now he question arises how does color enter into substance, how does color from outside join together to become pigmentation of indviduals Metalleity is the answer, it is the principle of all coloring of things, and is the liberation of singularity as being-for-self.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Sight is determined by color, a production light is universal Element. The first Element is fire the negative side to air, which is the invisible destroyer. The process of air is specific individuality; the volatilization of body is odor.

Smell is this silent process in which the body is consumed in the air and because air has no odor, all odors are dissolved in air the same as color fades away in light. For when a body has lost its odor, it is dull and lifeless. Fire has a particular existence in odor first relationship is air, and the volatilization of bodies in air.

Taste is in relationship with the Element water, which exists in a state of mutual indifference, Water is tasteless; it is salt which decompose into water and have a definite taste. We call it taste in reference to our senses, for salt is soluble in water simply means it can be tasted.

Color, odor and taste are the particularization of individuality is essence of self, the genus, and the inner universal pervades and permeates all aspects of being for self and constitutes all that self can reveal. But, to bring out the genius within is through sacrificing individuality.

Now essentially individuality is a theoretical process has consciousness as self-consciousness a theoretical process free, impartial, and unaffected.

Though this process is a flowering bud here truth and objectivity produces individuality as this singular, universal, determinate genus.

I mean like the color of birds or white, and black, yellow, orange and brown, interchange in a variety of ways, they are a mixture. Just as color of fish is brought out in warmer climates, which affect the water, it intensifies, individualizes them.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Reason can be looked on as a path of uncertainty, and ruin of individuality; or more properly the oad of anguish or despair, it rest upon carrying out a conviction. This is reason it does not go beyond that. Now if we are seeking to bring reason to actuality then we must think away from mere consciousness; reason is to be known through study, understanding and essential.

The faculty of reason is skillfully disposed in mind with a view to render things clear and intelligible lights up the chaos and confusion. Reason distinguishes truth from error and takes a negative view towards the world into a positive view.

Proving something belongs to the process of reason through and through. Anywhere there are extremes there is reason functioning as midway between any opposition,

Unfortunately are in company with the senses therefore cannot behold pure reason.
Dragging our feet is inherent and opposed to reason. However, we can make the nearest approach when we are not drenched with sensation.

The absolute end and consequence is reason. Its the victim of outside influences attacking it and trying to drive it on to the path of doubt or the road of despair shoves against reason conscious always-unthinking sluggishness reason agitates disturbs the consciousness laziness.