Why are some people filled with mindless hatred?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ncrbrts

Re: Why are some people filled with mindless hatred?

Post by ncrbrts »

Dalek Prime wrote:
ncrbrts wrote:Referring to the op...

I am filled with mindless hatred. It originates solely in my heart. My heart swells with hatred every day that I continue to exist. Also, I hate that I am purely motivated by hatred and I make efforts to fix my brain. Unfortunately, hatred is not born in my brain so all endeavours in that respect are fruitless.

While I hate everyone, I have no wish to harm them. I know that they are more than capable of doing that to themselves. I treat them as equally insignificant to mask the true hatred I hold for them all.
Nicola, check out my favourite misanthropic blogger, Mr. Mean-Spirited. I think you'll enjoy reading his posts. :)

http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.ca/
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check it out
Mr. Mean-Spirited

Post by Mr. Mean-Spirited »

For professed philosophers, there’s some mighty muddled thinking in these posts.

For a thread entitled “Why are some people filled with mindless hatred?” I would expect to see a logical, reasoned argument either (1) against mindlessness or (2) against hatred. Unfortunately, I found neither.

If it is the mindlessness to which you have the objection, then you must expend the same amount of commentary-space against people “filled with mindless love.” You know the type, the dumbass swollen with boundless affection for humanity in the abstract, yet an idiot so stretched with humanitarianism that he/she has no close relationships with anyone in particular. Surely you savants might admit, that is just as mindless.

If, however, your opposition is to hatred itself, then surely such intelligent folk as yourselves must admit that there is mindful hatred. A purposeful hated. A deliberate hatred. Hatred that one nation might have against the enemy that just attacked them; hatred that an innocent man might have against a justice system that wrongly convicted him; hatred that a rape victim might have against the criminal who just assaulted her.

There is also preemptive hatred: loathing that a misanthrope might have against the stinking, squirming mass of humanity. If there is something malignant in the human soul, then hatred might well be the appropriate reaction. If there is something defective in the human spirit, then abhorrence might well be justified. And that is just about as mindful as it comes.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Dubious wrote:It's a two lane highway. If hatred is not "mindless" and not all of it is, that should cause the person who initiated the effect to examine the response and bring it back to its cause. Of course, this hardly ever happens but it makes the recipient of such hatred an equal shareholder in being mindless. Hatred most often is a distortion requiring analysis but when it isn't the response remains justified.
Actually all hatred of others is mindless, or maybe ignorant is more correct. Yes, all hatred of others, is due to ones ignorance of the complete truth of the world of humans.
duszek

Post by duszek »

AS:

It´s not that I like to hate someone, it´s that I cannot get rid of the hatred that is in me.
I am working on a strategy that would work.

For the start I try to eliminate anger:
I attatch a reason to be angry to a point for staying cool, ten points will result in a bar of chocolate. A chart is on the door. No points so far.
The idea behind it: instead of allowing the reason to be angry to occupy my mind I force my mind to dwell upon something sweet and ridiculous.
SpheresOfBalance

duszek wrote:AS:

It´s not that I like to hate someone, it´s that I cannot get rid of the hatred that is in me.

I attatch a reason to be angry to a point for staying cool, ten points will result in a bar of chocolate. A chart is on the door. No points so far.
The idea behind it: instead of allowing the reason to be angry to occupy my mind I force my mind to dwell upon something sweet and ridiculous.
My previous was not said with you in mind, duszek. Sorry that it seemed to be, if you thought it was.
My solution to your problem is to try and understand the why and how of the persons, whatever they did, that sparked your anger, as well as the why and how of your reaction to it. Understanding it, makes it relatively trivial, usually, as it enlightens you in the process. With the knowledge of the truth of once large things, comes the power to make them small, relative to ones then larger understanding. ;)
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Well, Duszek, all I can say is this is the first time in my life that it is getting harder and harder to let go of my anger....so I think I know how you feel. I like your idea of rewarding yourself for 'good' behavior instead of beating yourself up for bad. Most people do the latter...I think I will try your method!
SpheresOfBalance

artisticsolution wrote:

Well, Duszek, all I can say is this is the first time in my life that it is getting harder and harder to let go of my anger....so I think I know how you feel. I like your idea of rewarding yourself for 'good' behavior instead of beating yourself up for bad. Most people do the latter...I think I will try your method!
AS, the reason I see that it's smarter to pay more attention to what one does wrong, is because what's good requires no change. Change, the hardest thing for most of us creatures of habit. Habit, the reason why it's hard to change. ;)
The Inglorious One

Post by The Inglorious One »

Ned wrote:They froth at the mouth, they spew out insults, obscenities, as many foul words as they can jam into a sentence, and all this without using a single argument or to intelligently reply to those already presented to them.

It is simple, mindless hatred, without a scrap of rational thought behind it.

I always find this spectacle disturbing because I like to understand things and this is beyond me.

Can anyone explain to me what makes people like this tick?

What happened to their reasoning brain?
It became "enlightened" with liberal ideology.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Ned wrote:They froth at the mouth, they spew out insults, obscenities, as many foul words as they can jam into a sentence, and all this without using a single argument or to intelligently reply to those already presented to them.
What puzzles me, Ned, is why only some people react to you in this way.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Pain, envy and resentment.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Jaded Sage wrote:Pain, envy and resentment.
But why pain, envy and resentment?
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I suppose it is because we assume life should be fair when it is unfair.

Envy might be different. I could see how we might be biologically programmed to feel it, which means our very instincts have predisposed us to a kind of damnation of an unhappy life. How fucked up is that?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Jaded Sage wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Envy might be different. I could see how we might be biologically programmed to feel it, which means our very instincts have predisposed us to a kind of damnation of an unhappy life. How fucked up is that?
So you are saying that people are filled with 'mindless hatred' because they think life should be fair?

How do you account for people who respond to the thought that life should be fair by trying to act in a fair and moderate way?
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Jaded Sage wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Pain, envy and resentment.

So you are saying that people are filled with 'mindless hatred' because they think life should be fair?

How do you account for people who respond to the thought that life should be fair by trying to act in a fair and moderate way?
I don't have a clever or well developed account. I just think different experiences effect people in different ways because of different previous experiences and genetic predispositions.
SpheresOfBalance

Jaded Sage wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
It's not a matter of life being unfair, that's a misconception, as life is either fair or unfair equally for all. In truth it's about people being unfair with one another, in the face of life being either fair or unfair for all. If we all saw to cooperation equally between us, then life's unfairness would be bearable.

I see that envy is born of people not being fair with one another, it's a misconception to attribute unfairness between people to life, as all peoples lives are what they make them. That most make them about fear and competition rather that cooperation is where unfairness between people, thus envy has it's roots.