The Present

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GreatandWiseTrixie

The Present

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

I think the Present has the key to a'somethin'...

Hmm, ever wonder how everything in the Present feels so real?

Yet, not? I mean, how do you know if your memories happened as you remember them?
The Present feels real now, but didn't it feel real yesterday too? But how do you know that yesterday ever happened,
it's only just a memory...

I mean, for all you know, you could just be an alien looking through old memories, a data archive called Life...
Ginkgo

Re: The Present

Post by Ginkgo »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:I think the Present has the key to a'somethin'...

Hmm, ever wonder how everything in the Present feels so real?

Yet, not? I mean, how do you know if your memories happened as you remember them?
The Present feels real now, but didn't it feel real yesterday too? But how do you know that yesterday ever happened,
it's only just a memory...

I mean, for all you know, you could just be an alien looking through old memories, a data archive called Life...

Heidegger's "Being and Time" may be of interest. Being born into the world suggests a past. Being pre-occupied in this world suggests a present and trying to project our being into the world suggests a future.

Existentialist philosophy is somewhat different to the long standing tradition handed down by Plato. It is impossible to sum up existentialism in a few lines, but the idea is that the world doesn't exist 'out there'. There is a complex interaction between the subject and the object.
surreptitious57

Re: The Present

Post by surreptitious57 »

You could be the product of a higher intelligence but that would just prove that the illusion of reality was sufficiently
convincing but it would not actually disprove reality as such although that does of course beg the question as to what
it is. If some thing is experienced with such clarity that it is automatically assumed to be real but is actually not then
from a subjective perspective is it still real ? Without an external frame of reference then the answer can only be yes