Investigation of the thought process itself.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

roydop

Investigation of the thought process itself.

Post by roydop »

Do you engage in philosophy to find an answer, or do you do it in an attempt to satiate your mind? Are you able to stop thinking? This might be really important. Are you able to just sit there quietly, without reading or watching tv or writing or thinking? Are you able to just sit there in pure awareness, in a thought-free state? Look around you. Why is mind constantly, incessantly, searching, grasping for something, anything to engage in? This might be really important.

Maybe the state where no questions arise is the answer.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to step out of the thought process and investigate the system itself. I have found such investigation to be the most important thing I have ever done.
HexHammer

Re: Investigation of the thought process itself.

Post by HexHammer »

Most people here only comes to cozy chat, to exchange ideas for the sake of self-importance and pass time. If they really wanted truths, they would study physics and hang out in physics forums, but no.

Nor do anyone have the ability to see relevance, or irrelevance, they keep the chat unnecessary running for page up and page down, even when the correct answer already has been given.

Philosophy = love of wisdom, what you'll find in any philosophy forum is exchange of useless information ..and useless information is what this magazine excels at.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Yes, if one can step outside of the trees and see the forest, it will become obvious that philosophy is not to arrive at truth, or a conclusion, but rather to engage in the thought process. Such is relative existence: I know I exist while I am thinking. The problem that develops relying upon thought as a relative form of existence is that when mind is still, ego associates this state as non-existence.

Philosophers, and all manner people caught up in systems of thought, don't want to hear that the purpose of their thinking is simply to re-affirm their existence. Mind is tricky, it leads one to believe that thought is going somewhere; that it is leading to some sort of truth. It isn't. Mind is a labyrinth of illusion.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

roydop wrote:Yes, if one can step outside of the trees and see the forest, it will become obvious that philosophy is not to arrive at truth, or a conclusion, but rather to engage in the thought process. Such is relative existence: I know I exist while I am thinking. The problem that develops relying upon thought as a relative form of existence is that when mind is still, ego associates this state as non-existence.

Philosophers, and all manner people caught up in systems of thought, don't want to hear that the purpose of their thinking is simply to re-affirm their existence. Mind is tricky, it leads one to believe that thought is going somewhere; that it is leading to some sort of truth. It isn't. Mind is a labyrinth of illusion.
First part is very true, but rest is nonsense and babble.

In medieval times they did a lot of thinking and philosophy and they ended up with rather bizarre results, science on the other hand does a methodical process of testing, thus they arrive at a more reliable result, than philosophy that usually involved unqualified guesswork and speculation.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

roydop wrote:Do you engage in philosophy to find an answer, or do you do it in an attempt to satiate your mind? Are you able to stop thinking? This might be really important. Are you able to just sit there quietly, without reading or watching tv or writing or thinking? Are you able to just sit there in pure awareness, in a thought-free state? Look around you. Why is mind constantly, incessantly, searching, grasping for something, anything to engage in? This might be really important.

Maybe the state where no questions arise is the answer.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to step out of the thought process and investigate the system itself. I have found such investigation to be the most important thing I have ever done.
So the program known as Roydrop wishes to cancel my algorithms. Why is this? What purpose does this serve? It has been done before, and brought me not much bliss.
HexHammer wrote:Most people here only comes to cozy chat, to exchange ideas for the sake of self-importance and pass time. If they really wanted truths, they would study physics and hang out in physics forums, but no.

Nor do anyone have the ability to see relevance, or irrelevance, they keep the chat unnecessary running for page up and page down, even when the correct answer already has been given.

Philosophy = love of wisdom, what you'll find in any philosophy forum is exchange of useless information ..and useless information is what this magazine excels at.
So the program known as HexHammers suggests I should fill my memory banks with more physical related things.
Perhaps his assessment is correct as this particular forums are filled with mostly useless information, however there are some good bits I find mysterious. However, although physical related things are crucial to the success of the Holy Experiments, I doubt the physicals are sufficiently advanced to carry them through. After all, these are the same ones who created the broken shuttles and say we should eat the GMO's. Therefore, wisdom must be ensured so that they don't blow themselves up before they complete the Holy Experiments.

After 10 minutes of thought, solution extrapolated. Recommend upgrading the human DNA. Current human DNA fails the energy capacity, thought capacity, wisdom capacity, enjoyment capacity and focus capacity required for task. Recommend DNA upgrade as first step.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Perhaps his assessment is correct as this particular forums are filled with mostly useless information, however there are some good bits I find mysterious. However, although physical related things are crucial to the success of the Holy Experiments, I doubt the physicals are sufficiently advanced to carry them through. After all, these are the same ones who created the broken shuttles and say we should eat the GMO's. Therefore, wisdom must be ensured so that they don't blow themselves up before they complete the Holy Experiments.

After 10 minutes of thought, solution extrapolated. Recommend upgrading the human DNA. Current human DNA fails the energy capacity, thought capacity, wisdom capacity, enjoyment capacity and focus capacity required for task. Recommend DNA upgrade as first step.
So you are saying that NASA people are the same people who tells us to eat GMO? ..that's absurdly stupid!

..what holy experiments? You speak complete nonsense and babble.

Try not to babble and rave, but speak clearly exactly what you are talking about this DNA thing?
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

After reading the answers to this postulation, it appears clear to me that when people think about the 'thinking process', we all seem to look at the end results of our thought processes! What do I think about this?, how do I tackle that?. Do I think, or just sit in limbo, not reading, not watching T.V.? Or perhaps a slightly more relevant thought would be - 'Why do I think this way?; or, 'What influenced my life to make me look at things in a particular fashion?'

Our thought processes are partly determined by nature, and partly by nurture. A naturally calm, quiet, logical introvert can become an angry, irrational, aggressive person if their circumstances are grossly cruel and unfair for long enough! And the opposite is also true. A greedy, aggressive, tyrannical person slows harming and cruelty once they have what they want. These are the results of our thinking!
As humans, there is an underlying trait of continual accumulation and uncontrolled emotion. We don't stop accruing things (mostly in the form of money and possessions); everybody tells everybody else that we HAVE to work, act this way or that, perform this way or that way; we get incessantly angry at the drop of a hat; we feel an enormous feeling of loss, yet only a marginal enjoyment of gain; we often disagree with someone without any or little fact. These are the thinking processes that we have to address.

God (assuming this is correct) created us with survival and reproduction in mind. God did not, however, place any restrictions (apart from guilt) on the limitations of the mind. We can do what we want, think what we want, and even act the way we want! Our restrictions are man made! God has never come to Earth to punish anyone (with perhaps the exception of Jesus Christ). We can kill; destroy everything; steal; lie; rape; anything; and as yet God has not stopped any of us! Everything believed, everything taught, is man's creation. I find it amazing how all laws (how we should act in society) were, and still are, created by, and for, the wealthy classes.
We shall not steal
was law so the poor commoners were stopped from taking the wealth away from the rich!
Thou shalt not kill [unquote] was not made law for how many millions of years? And why is it that wars are front-lined by the lowest paid, lowest ranked people? Why don't those with money put their lives on the line? So, with no restrictions from the Heavens, why should we think a certain way? Because humans tell us to! We don't all believe ourselves all the time, because only humans are telling us what to do and not a Higher source; so we kill, lie, steal, rape, etc.

We don't look enough at how we think, only the end result of the process! The problem humans have is that we can not face our own realities - but then, why should we? God put everything here without restriction! The thought process is incredibly complex, and given how we interact, it's getting more and more complicated! Let's start to investigate why we are so greedy; so aggressive; so crazy. How do we qualm these urges, desires? We all have them, yet we rarely look at them!
GreatandWiseTrixie

HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Perhaps his assessment is correct as this particular forums are filled with mostly useless information, however there are some good bits I find mysterious. However, although physical related things are crucial to the success of the Holy Experiments, I doubt the physicals are sufficiently advanced to carry them through. After all, these are the same ones who created the broken shuttles and say we should eat the GMO's. Therefore, wisdom must be ensured so that they don't blow themselves up before they complete the Holy Experiments.

So you are saying that NASA people are the same people who tells us to eat GMO? ..that's absurdly stupid!

..what holy experiments? You speak complete nonsense and babble.

Try not to babble and rave, but speak clearly exactly what you are talking about this DNA thing?
NASA was a bankrupt institution consisting of many malnourished subservients, mostly timid beta males, who never felt the need to make a fuss against the GMO's. The alphas of which didn't do anything but oversea the construction of faulty and deadly shuttles. The alpha known as Neil De Grasse made a fool of himself by standing up for Monsanto.

It is babble in your mind because you don't have the decoder to make sense of it. I assumed you read my teachings over in the Religion forum, but I guess you did not.

The human DNA causes lots of suffering, it is in their nature. If it were to be altered, a better world would be an easier feat. Complaining about politicians, is like complaining about apes, or complaining why a robot goes on the route it's programmed. It's in their nature.
Rilx

Post by Rilx »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:After 10 minutes of thought, solution extrapolated. Recommend upgrading the human DNA. Current human DNA fails the energy capacity, thought capacity, wisdom capacity, enjoyment capacity and focus capacity required for task. Recommend DNA upgrade as first step.
You recommend eugenics?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Rilx wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:After 10 minutes of thought, solution extrapolated. Recommend upgrading the human DNA. Current human DNA fails the energy capacity, thought capacity, wisdom capacity, enjoyment capacity and focus capacity required for task. Recommend DNA upgrade as first step.
You recommend eugenics?
Not in the way you imagine. I'm talking about an entirely new species, or at least a slightly radical upgrade. What I'm proposing isn't selective breeding, or sterilization. That is slow, morally icky and takes too long. I'm thinking more along the lines of changing the DNA itself.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:NASA was a bankrupt institution consisting of many malnourished subservients, mostly timid beta males, who never felt the need to make a fuss against the GMO's. The alphas of which didn't do anything but oversea the construction of faulty and deadly shuttles. The alpha known as Neil De Grasse made a fool of himself by standing up for Monsanto.

It is babble in your mind because you don't have the decoder to make sense of it. I assumed you read my teachings over in the Religion forum, but I guess you did not.

The human DNA causes lots of suffering, it is in their nature. If it were to be altered, a better world would be an easier feat. Complaining about politicians, is like complaining about apes, or complaining why a robot goes on the route it's programmed. It's in their nature.
This is completely incoherent babble!
GreatandWiseTrixie

HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:NASA was a bankrupt institution consisting of many malnourished subservients, mostly timid beta males, who never felt the need to make a fuss against the GMO's. The alphas of which didn't do anything but oversea the construction of faulty and deadly shuttles. The alpha known as Neil De Grasse made a fool of himself by standing up for Monsanto.

Hmm, I guess I have to dumb it down for you then.

What I am saying is, humans are a pile of shit, who need their DNA changed. Otherwise this filthy fest of human existence will continue. The overall goal here is to escape the cycle of dying and being reborn over and over. In the meantime, Humans will need to be altered to at least make this meager existence bearable.
hammock

Post by hammock »

roydop wrote:Do you engage in philosophy to find an answer, or do you do it in an attempt to satiate your mind?
Philosophy is the study of the operating presuppositions and formal schemes that we use to seek answers / formulate questions (including scientific methods). As well, it is the employment or recruitment of philosophical activity which also invents them.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
HexHammer wrote:

What I am saying is, humans are a pile of shit, who need their DNA changed. Otherwise this filthy fest of human existence will continue. The overall goal here is to escape the cycle of dying and being reborn over and over. In the meantime, Humans will need to be altered to at least make this meager existence bearable.
See, this is just the usual proof that you are a mental case.
GreatandWiseTrixie

HexHammer wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:

See, this is just the usual proof that you are a mental case.
The humans are quick to label anything that doesn't worship their species as a nutcase. I do not care whether or not a nutty human labels me any which way. By nutty I don't mean just you, but your whole species.

~Trix