What does it mean for someone to "lose his mind?"

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What does it mean for someone to "lose his mind?"

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

All kinds of secondary questions arise in connection with this. What is a mind? Where does the mind exist? (i.e. which part of the brain if it exists there?) Does the mind go out of and into existence again? Do you have to do something or say something crazy to have someone utter "Have you lost your mind?" How does the mind relate to consciousness or the soul or mentality?

Quite a complicated state of affairs with many issues.

For myself, I do believe in the mind's existence. As to its exact nature, I leave that open to discussion.

PhilX
Bill Wiltrack

Re: What does it mean for someone to "lose his mind?"

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

roydop

Post by roydop »

If one looks objectively at the state of humanity, and how it has affected nature, it wouldn't be too far off to say that all of humanity is crazy.

This has happened because people have fallen into the delusion that the reality mind/thoughts projects is actually real. It's not. It's all a fiction. A person that we would call "insane" is just a person who has fallen deeper into the delusion than the average person.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Absolutely ^^^.

I don't think insanity is losing your mind, it's just losing your grip on a very narrow version of reality. People who are schizophrenic are as logical as anyone else, trust me I know, everyone can justify themselves, even the so called sane.

I have lost my mind, hallucinated, and it's a scary thing to do, but it does put reality into perspective at least. Not that I want anyone to lose their mind, but humanity in general could do well by loosing it. Which is why insanity exists: the inevitable consequence of a large creative brain. Evolution does work. :)

As a matter of fact insanity is not a failure of evolution, it's a vast success, creativity embiggens the whole, but not always and not at the right time often. Cut your ear lobe off and send it to a prostitute, then when you are sane... paint a starry night.

Van Gogh could paint like a photograph if he chose but when he was in a manic phase he could paint like no one else.