consciousness is in other dimensions?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

kep

consciousness is in other dimensions?

Post by kep »

I think our brain has connections to other dimensions besides the usual 3. Ghosts exist in every culture. What do you think of this?
Blaggard

Re: consciousness is in other dimensions?

Post by Blaggard »

I think the reason ghosts exist is interesting, interdimensional beings or not, I doubt somehow there is something that extraordinary involved; I would look to parapsychology before I looked to extra dimensions though. And yes parapsychology is a science you can get a degree/PhD in it, well not in some countries but when it uses the scientific method it's as much of a science as psychology and sociology. Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! :P :)

Welcome btw.
jackles

Post by jackles »

there is only one consciousness.gost are lost energy forms.lost that is in consciousness.something that cant believe its nothing is what a ghost is.
madera

Post by madera »

kep wrote:I think our brain has connections to other dimensions besides the usual 3. Ghosts exist in every culture. What do you think of this?
Not ghosts, but entities that speak to us through thoughts and most think it is their own thoughts.
There is one in everyone. Many have been exorcized.
kep

Post by kep »

Blaggard wrote:I think the reason ghosts exist is interesting, interdimensional beings or not, I doubt somehow there is something that extraordinary involved; I would look to parapsychology before I looked to extra dimensions though. And yes parapsychology is a science you can get a degree/PhD in it, well not in some countries but when it uses the scientific method it's as much of a science as psychology and sociology. Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! :P :)

Welcome btw.
Multi-dimension physics has more credibility than parapsychology
the Hessian

Post by the Hessian »

jackles wrote:something that cant believe its nothing is what a ghost is.
I actually like this. A lot.
Zandareagle

Post by Zandareagle »

I do believe there is consciousness in other dimensions, it just manifests differently for everyone. Personally I have not seen any ghosts, though I have some friends who have said they did/do.
Gee

Post by Gee »

kep wrote:I think our brain has connections to other dimensions besides the usual 3. Ghosts exist in every culture. What do you think of this?
Kep;

I do not know anything about "other dimensions", but do have some thoughts about ghosts.

A few years ago, I was reading another story about a ghost. It explained that the ghost existed because of some tragedy or betrayal and that the ghost would repeat the drama that caused it's existence over and over without regard to time. This is the usual understanding of a "common" ghost. I thought to myself, it sounds like PTSD. Then I laughed because I was trying to psychoanalyze a ghost. Then I thought about it. Actually, it sounds just like PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

If you have never experienced this disorder, I can tell you that it is quite debilitating. Your mind and awareness are whisked away to the time and place of the trauma, and you will feel, smell, see, and hear the events just as they happened originally. This is completely involuntary, and you will not even know that your body is somewhere else, at home, at work, or driving a car. The people around you may or may not know this is happening because your body may just appear to be daydreaming, or working on reflex, or it may actually move in accordance with your mind's activities, which won't make any sense to the people around you.

Initially this can happen three or four times a day; as time goes on it happens less and less often. After a year or so, you no longer lose awareness, but will still relive the trauma; but this is a great improvement because you know that you are reliving it, not living it. It took me about five years before I no longer needed to relive the trauma voluntarily or involuntarily. The reason that I say, voluntarily, is because once you gain full awareness, things can trigger the memory; if you try to stifle it, then it keeps coming back; but if you voluntarily let yourself relive it to the end, then it goes away unless triggered again.

So now that everyone is clear on what PTSD is, I have a question. If you experienced a trauma that would cause PTSD, and you died in the midst of that trauma, is it possible that you would get stuck in a PTSD loop where you would relive it over and over? Is this the cause of the common ghost? A mind that is frozen in a perpetual memory?

I suspect that Blaggard is correct, and parapsychology has the answers.

G
the Hessian

Post by the Hessian »

Substitute any kind of "delusion" for "ghost" in the definition "something that can't believe its nothing" and it works wonderfully well, although probably not in the same way as it was originally intended.
Gee

Post by Gee »

the Hessian wrote:Substitute any kind of "delusion" for "ghost" in the definition "something that can't believe its nothing" and it works wonderfully well, although probably not in the same way as it was originally intended.
Define "delusion".

G
the Hessian

Post by the Hessian »

Nothing special about how I am using the term. Here's what Wikipedia has to say: "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception."

Think of it this way. The only way we know anything is because that information is in our brain. Even self-conscioussness, which some people want to turn into some kind of magical ghost in our head, is just information in our brain.

In this sense, "a delusion is something that can't believe its nothing." The information is *there*, in the same way that information about anything we think we know is there. It is "something" in the exact sense that the information is really there. But in the case of delusion, the brain has gone off the rails a little bit, and the information that's there is *nothing* insofar as it isn't really information of anything real. "It is something that can't believe its nothing." Its real as far as the brain that has that information is concerned, but it is definitely not real to any other brains.

For example, you could simulate an out of body experience in a lab. The brian information that *is* your self-consciousness can be messed with so that it represents you as existing somewhere other than your body. This is not because the experiement did anything to pull a spirit out of your head and put it somewhere else...it simply manipulated the information, and the neural stuff that processes that information, so that it presented this dislocation. For the person experiencing this, it would absolutely "feel" real. And it would feel real, because its the same way we feel/know anything... information in our brain.
jackles

Post by jackles »

nothing is the common denominator of consciouse indentity.any something identity is realy an illusion.you are born with your true identity.nothing survives death but something dosnt.the ghost is something that is lost and cant get back to its origonal status of nothing.nothing is eternal life.there is only one eternal life and from somethings piont of view thats nothing.but nothings the real something.
the Hessian

Post by the Hessian »

I love my life.
I don't fear death.
I wasn't around at the beginning.
I won't be there at the end.

Really grateful to be something and not nothing!
jackles

Post by jackles »

no hessian the life you love is nothing and is put in the store house of eternity.the something is a husk and is burnt in the fire.(the something is attachment to the event by the ego)
the Hessian

Post by the Hessian »

You sound like a suicide bomber.

So.... Nothing wishes something would happen. It wants to know something. Shapeless infinity realizes itself as an infinite number of concrete somethings. Something goes wrong and thinks its nothing. What a waste of time (and space).