Fear, power, or sex, or?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Fear, power, or sex, or?

Post by Blaggard »

What drives the human person?

Simple question.

I would digress further but I think the argument pretty much explains itself, what is it that drives a human being to be human, is it anything we can narrow down, how would you describe human behaviour if you had to in terms you could make a little more simple, or is it impossible to do so. Is it simple to describe how a person thinks in the way a person thinks and in some ascribable manner or is it more complex?

And by the way I don't think any of the above in the thread title drives a human being per se although they are important to any animal and clearly all of them drive us to some extent. They were remedial ideas from psychologists in the past that missed the bigger picture that you can't sum up the human race based on only on simplistic motivations any more than you can sum up the human race based on its preference for eating chocolate over being kicked in the head. Suffice to say where are we now?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Fear, power, or sex, or?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Frustration with the way things are and a desire to make changes, no matter how small. Curiosity.
Arising_uk

Re: Fear, power, or sex, or?

Post by Arising_uk »

Hunger, thirst, shelter, protection, essentially survival. Maslow's Pyramid is a good basic model for such things.
http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html