Obama and Solipsism

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Obama and Solipsism

Post by tbieter »

"Solipsism. It’s a fancy word that means that the self is the only existing reality and that other entities, including other people, are representations of one’s own self and can have no independent existence. A person who follows this philosophy may believe that others see the world as he does and will behave as he would.

It’s a quality often found in narcissists, people who greatly admire themselves — such as a presidential candidate confident that he is a better speechwriter than his speechwriters, knows more about policy than his policy directors, and is a better political director than his political director.

If that sounds familiar, it’s a paraphrase of what President Obama told top political aide Patrick Gaspard in 2008, according to The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza.

More recently, Obama’s narcissism has been painfully apparent as the United States suffers one reversal after another in world affairs. But it has been apparent ever since he started running for president in 2007.

Candidate Obama did not just campaign as a critic of the policies of the opposing party’s president, as many candidates do, but he portrayed himself repeatedly as someone who, because he “looks different” from any past American president, would make America beloved and cherished in the world."
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 ... ael-barone
http://www.iep.utm.edu/solipsis/
This is a significant article. Michael Barone is a highly respected commentator on U.S. politics.

I submit that solipsism is a partial explanation for Obama's failure to persuade Putin to stop his current aggression in the Ukraine.
artisticsolution

Re: Obama and Solipsism

Post by artisticsolution »

tbieter wrote: I submit that solipsism is a partial explanation for Obama's failure to persuade Putin to stop his current aggression in the Ukraine. [/color]
Tell me, who or what could have persuaded Putin otherwise?

I think Obama has had enough experience with differing opinions to know there are people out there who do not behave as he would. lol
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

I think solipsism is too much of a mentally disadvantageous factor to be part of any president. I also think to call Obama a narcissist is wrong, he strikes me in no way possibly as a narcissist, and such an apparently random remark should be greatly more justified I think.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Solipsism seems to be a honey trap for utterly kuku people, and in itself is a waste of time to spend time on.