Is the human being purely material.......

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Re: Is the human being purely material.......

Post by Blaggard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:55 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Blaggard wrote:I would say only in the most superficial way, and only as a collective hive mind. Low consciousness is something I will agree to in that context.

You could analogise what a computer does to a hive of ants, the single bit has no real input but string enough of them together and you get at least superficially something resembling a conscious will.
Not quite, that would suggest ants are telepathic ..which they are not. Get real.
That's a non sequitur ants communicate by scent and movement, so I don't see your point. in the same way bees dance to show the direction to polinating plants which then is passed on to other bees and the chain leads to action to find the plants and collect sugar which ultimately results in honey to feed the colony.
Last edited by Blaggard on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Blaggard wrote:
He found that the length of time the children's brains spent in both the stable phase-locked states and the unstable phase-shifting states correlated with their IQ scores. For example, phase shifts typically last 55 milliseconds, but an additional 1 millisecond seemed to add as many as 20 points to the child's IQ. A shorter time in the stable phase-locked state also corresponded with greater intelligence - with a difference of 1 millisecond adding 4.6 IQ points to a child's score (NeuroImage, vol 42, p 1639).
Phase locked is another way of saying synchronous. They mean the same thing. :)
Please provide link to source, this seems too weird.

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:57 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
He found that the length of time the children's brains spent in both the stable phase-locked states and the unstable phase-shifting states correlated with their IQ scores. For example, phase shifts typically last 55 milliseconds, but an additional 1 millisecond seemed to add as many as 20 points to the child's IQ. A shorter time in the stable phase-locked state also corresponded with greater intelligence - with a difference of 1 millisecond adding 4.6 IQ points to a child's score (NeuroImage, vol 42, p 1639).
Phase locked is another way of saying synchronous. They mean the same thing. :)
Please provide link to source, this seems too weird.
I already did scroll up. :P

Read the thread and you will have your evidence. :)

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Blaggard wrote:
We were discussing conciousness, right? What has this to do with conciousness? .................NOTHING?

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:11 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
We were discussing conciousness, right? What has this to do with conciousness? .................NOTHING?
Lol that's bullshit I am afraid. Intelligence has nothing to do with consciousness. Please if that's the best you can do don't bother. You might of at least attempted to dispute the science, not come up with yet another non sequitur; read the article or don't I really don't care but lazily throwing out non sequiturs because you couldn't be bothered to is unlikely to result in any real dialogue other than the I am right and you are wrong variety.

So can you attack the evidence or is it that you just don't want to?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12414&start=15#p160021

Here I'll even link it for you save you the effort of scrolling back...

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:06 pm

The article uses IQ as a test method, and it only partially tests our intelligences, it's math and a combinatory intellect of spatial and some other weird intellect I can't remember.

People who have sufferd massive brain damage can perfectly play piano and are fully aware, but can't put 2+2 together, thus in neurological terms ..IT DOESN'T MATTER! If it actually was a more serious article it may have shed more light on the issue, but as of now it proves NOTHING!

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Hexhammer....do you have some sort of complex? or too much time on your hands? :P

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm

R2D2 wrote:Hexhammer....do you have some sort of complex? or too much time on your hands? :P
Explain youself, you need to put your words into context.

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:36 pm

HexHammer wrote:
R2D2 wrote:Hexhammer....do you have some sort of complex? or too much time on your hands? :P
Explain youself, you need to put your words into context.
The article linked journals of science and research, you dismissed them out of hand, which shows I think only one thing science or reason is not your cup of tea. I think hence you are not really in any frame of mind to really address this topic, whether that makes you have a complex or not I don't know but if science journals are not enough for you what more do you want?

The article does not use IQ tests, if you actually bothered to read it you may of got that. Sheez!

(NeuroImage, vol 42, p 1639)

(The Journal of Neuroscience, vol 24, p 5216)

These are links to scientific research given in the article, you can if you can be assed read the original research. But if you are just going to say this is not science because the journals are all bunk and that article was not serious, I am afraid you are going to disappear up your own ass.
People who have sufferd massive brain damage can perfectly play piano and are fully aware, but can't put 2+2 together, thus in neurological terms ..IT DOESN'T MATTER! If it actually was a more serious article it may have shed more light on the issue, but as of now it proves NOTHING!
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9 ... v5VilcYyUk

Ok well first read this and then skip back to the article I quoted, clearly you need to be on the same page as everyone else...
Before scanning techniques were common, researchers relied on patients with brain damage caused by strokes, head injuries or illnesses, to determine which brain areas are required for certain functions. This approach exposed the regions connected to emotions, dreams, memory, language and perception and to even more enigmatic events, such as religious or "paranormal" experiences.
Yes we know Sherlock, keep up. :P
Last edited by Blaggard on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Blaggard wrote:The article does not use IQ tests, if you actually bothered to read it you may of got that. Sheez!
phase-shifting states correlated with their IQ scores.
That's funny, it specifically states IQ scores!

So, yes, you don't know what you are talking about.

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Blaggard wrote:The article does not use IQ tests, if you actually bothered to read it you may of got that. Sheez!

The quote I gave said IQ tests the article however is not that quote. Honestly take a lesson in basic logic as well while you are at it.

Look its as simple as this you can either go on gesticulating about that quote or you can read the article, either way I am not fussed.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Blaggard wrote:
HexHammer wrote:

The quote I gave said IQ tests the article however is not that quote. Honestly take a lesson in basic logic as well while you are at it.

Look its as simple as this you can either go on gesticulating about that quote or you can read the article, either way I am not fussed.
I googled that article and it was that article which I've been talking about, I didn't bother to look for that missing link of yours.

If you want to discuss an article then please link to it, and don't send me on a wild goose chase.

So, again you make no sense, if you answer the article which I desire to real fully has a link you have previously linked to, then you claim it's 2 different articles, it's a logical phallacy.

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm

HexHammer wrote:I googled that article and it was that article which I've been talking about, I didn't bother to look for that missing link of yours.

If you want to discuss an article then please link to it, and don't send me on a wild goose chase.
It's subscription only but the bit I gave says most of it.

Sigh*

I am wasting my time, no I can't link the whole article or they would do me for copyright infringement, but the small excerpt I gave which you never read, is more than enough to explain all the points I made, so you either read it and contend with it, or you can go bury your head in the sand, either way I am pretty much fucked if I give a damn any more. You win the internet, score 1 on your win board, gz. ;)
So, again you make no sense, if you answer the article which I desire to real fully has a link you have previously linked to, then you claim it's 2 different articles, it's a logical phallacy.
Sigh*

I didn't claim it was two different articles I gave you some basic reading so when you do spout your complete guff you are at least on the same page as everyone else, but nm.

Yeah whatever from your imperial palace of mighty justice you win the internet, and can now retire to some place where you can be bathed by Nubian maidens and ah I can't even be fucked to write thi

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:14 pm

We are swimming in a sea of consciousness yet we cannot define consciousness nor quantify it.

Consciousness is not material
yet consciousness is everything...
FTFY

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Linking to something is not quoting, quoting just a small piece falls under "fair use" which doesn't not violate copy right, so yearh again you don't know what you are talking about.
Further you make no sense as usual, first you say I should just find the link, then you say the linked article is sub only, why would you claim I should go read something that is sub only?

Are you actually aware of what you are saying, or are you just trolling as usual?