Why study perception?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

yogisuba

Why study perception?

Post by yogisuba »

What's the value in studying perception?
Why bother?

Does its transparency become clearer?
Does its representation give us something more?
Does its illusion become more magical –
its hallucinations less real?

Beyond simply learning more about ourselves,
what's the point?

To become more aware
2 C things as they R
2 transcend the limitations we set ourselves
2 dissolve the illusions
2 see through the matrix of our minds
2 understand perceptual boundaries
and then
2 overcome them:

4 there is nothing behind the curtain –
It's infinity wrapped around time…
mattsidedish

Re: Why study perception?

Post by mattsidedish »

Assuming this is a POV instead of a high school poetry assignment (in which case, very good job!), I will address this with concepts inside psychology (a subject I am versed in.

When understanding perception, you lean yourself into the rhelm of vast stimuli and bias that affect one's thoughts, beliefs, morals, and even behaviors. If we can conquer that leap from someone's behaviors to stimuli that affect the infrastructure of one's mind, we can have somewhat of a correlation as to what stimuli, compared to what character infrastructure, are more likely to cause a certain behavior. Remembering that correlation/=/causation, a well based connection between stimuli and behaviors is a great tool to start with.

This pattern of documenting both behavior and the stimuli that aided in facilitating them, is essential in the naturalistic observation technique.

But the part I wanted to get across the most was that it doesn't have to be psychology. Understanding how stimuli affects behavior can allow us to really examine the difficult areas in our life. With that understanding, we can subject ourselves to different stimuli to explore different reactions. Using this technique, we can overcome fear, addiction, irrational indoctrination (though I suppose it doesn't have to be necessarily irrational), and we can unlock the problems that hold us down to a certain feeling or POV in life.

For my final thought, I will relate a little experiment I did with my sister. She has been a heavy smoker for about 5 years now. She asked me if there was anything I could do to help her. In an attempt to get some useful real-world information for my psychology class, I went along with her for a couple days to work, to the mall, and to her house to see what stimuli (both internal and external, both concrete and abstract) that created a desire for nicotine. If I remember correctly, the largest were the feeling of tension (which could be linked to stress), anxiety (also stress), being constrained to a time schedule (stress), and one more feeling that I simply couldn't put a description on. whenever she mimicked the motion of holding a cigarette between her fingers, and moved her hand closer to her face, she immediately desired another one. This is simply physical habit. Needless to say, I was able to address stress-avoiding and fighting techniques to help her in removing the temptation for a cigarette. She had to know and believe that the longer she didn't desire the nicotine, the easier it would be. Also, with the physical habit, it was as simple as reminding her every time she accidentally made the hand motion to "watch your hand." This command proved effective.

Basically, understanding our perception (how we feel about certain situations) means understanding the outcome of our conscious mind in reaction to certain stimuli. Understanding how the stimuli influences certain reactions can help us not only change our mind about certain issues, but actually change our way of thinking. (Two very different things)
yogisuba

Re: Why study perception?

Post by yogisuba »

thanks...