Representation

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

yogisuba

Representation

Post by yogisuba »

Is representation like a mirror?

Backwards, Reversed, and Upside Down/Inverted...
mattsidedish

Re: Representation

Post by mattsidedish »

Firstly, representation of what? To whom is it going to be perceived?

If you referring to mental or cognitive representation, then I would say all of the above. One's own internal cognitive representation of objects, events, places, people, etc. is completely determinate on your subjective semantics. The way you think about certain attitudes, feelings, situational tension, etc. influence the way you represent the situation at hand. If you can grasp the way you determine certain concepts, you can understand your representational outlook on that concept. It should correlate. In contemporary philosophy, specifically in fields of metaphysics such as philosophy of mind and ontology, your representational thoughts and feelings are strongly influenced by the way you would personally describe certain ideas and concepts.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

No, it's not. Representation is a (rough or fine) duplicate of abstracts from the original source. They represent in so far as they statistically show the facts and favourings of the source. Scientific representations is where the data generally show the facts of the source, but not necessarily always, always completely accurate or always completely.

Data stored on computers for instance will abstract information from a physical phenomena and represent it by means of giving insightful understandings about the source physical phenomena, for instance by computation which can predict the outcomes of altering the environment for which the physical phenomena takes place and find out approximately how the physical phenomena will change in accordance with the new environment.

As for political representation, some quantity of people whose favoured views are the strongest correlating with the represented group will take decisions on their behalf. In countries with bad political representation you often get unrest because the representatives either do not follow up on how they appeared to be during the elections or because of a new case in which the representativeness had not been tried out shows up and this case creates a divide between those representing and those who are being represented.
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

Blessings,

Some questions for you Mattsidedish

Do you really mean, "completely [italics mind] determinate on your subjective semantics?"

Can you give me an example of grasping the way I "determine certain concepts"?

Can we really, fully grasp our representational outlook on anything?

Are feelings represented?

Would we not describe "certain ideas and concepts" based on our representational thoughts and feelings? Which then of course affect/effect a strong influence back onto our thoughts and feelings?

Some questions and thoughts for you Voice of Time

Would you say then that representation can be compared to a good or bad camera – a good camera, with everything being right, will give a fine/clear representation of the sense data coming in? A bad camera of course will be rough/smeared/distorted/et cetera?

Blessings Be...
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

yogisuba wrote:Some questions and thoughts for you Voice of Time:

Would you say then that representation can be compared to a good or bad camera – a good camera, with everything being right, will give a fine/clear representation of the sense data coming in? A bad camera of course will be rough/smeared/distorted/et cetera?

Blessings Be...
In one word: yes.

In a sentence: you are using a metaphor to state what I stated clearly in words.

Comment: I'd stick to my own description, because your metaphor is in itself a representation and therefore only abstracting from a source, in this case the source is my text as my text displays the equivalent clear definitions encoded in your metaphor.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

yogisuba wrote:Is representation like a mirror?

Maybe you need to go out a bit more and study real life.
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

What's "real life?"
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

yogisuba wrote:What's "real life?"
It's also called the HD server, where you can't delete what you say, where things hurts when mods gun you down, you can even die and there's no restart.
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

:shock:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

yogisuba wrote:Is representation like a mirror?

Why should it be a reflection? Why not an emulation or maybe a simulation.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

semiotic symbols are seldom mirror images

-Imp