A brief definition on the Nature of Pride

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoramblues

Re: A brief definition on the Nature of Pride

Post by marjoramblues »

Voice: Vegetables is a derogatory term for retardation (especially mental, usually quite severe retardation). My remark was that without pride you simply do not function. It is nearly as important as the air your breathe, if you were to strip it entirely off yourself your life would be very short, not because of suicide, but because you'd loose track of "value" itself, the concept of value, and you'd not be able to reason or judge things

Using the term 'vegetables' to describe those who suffer from mental retardation is to hold them in contempt, not to value them as people.
'Pride' might be an alien concept to them; however, pleasurable feelings, akin to pride, can be had when encouraged and supported in their achievements.

Your original remark I took to mean that we would turn into vegetables - as in unthinking/unfeeling entities - which is not the same as people who suffer from mental disability - if we can't manage our pride.

<<Good management of ones pride is important to us all, or else we turn vegetables>>

I don't think you mean that mental retardation is caused by - or that people become unthinking/ unfeeling due to - lack of pride management, do you ?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you're looking down, you can't see something that's above you.
~~~ C. S. Lewis ~~~

The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

marjoramblues wrote:I don't think you mean that mental retardation is caused by - or that people become unthinking/ unfeeling due to - lack of pride management, do you ?
No, it's a hypothetical situation for hypothetical problem. It's probably not possible to strip somebody of pride, at least not in any meaningful way with our or the next few hundred years of technology. Vegetable just mean you are constantly critically dependent on other people to survive, even for the most basic things, because your mind doesn't work enough to do it yourself.

It doesn't mean you hold them in contempt, btw, it's just an unfeeling way (on the speaker's behalf) of talking about it. I'm not in a feeling mood to act properly.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

<<It doesn't mean you hold them in contempt, btw, it's just an unfeeling way (on the speaker's behalf) of talking about it. I'm not in a feeling mood to act properly>>

To talk of people suffering from mental retardation/disability as vegetables is showing contempt for them as people.
What has your mood got to do with it ?
The Voice of Time

Now you're just being uncooperative marjoramblues. I know very well what it implies when I do it myself. If you can't accept that then we have nothing to discuss: I can't discuss with a person who presumes like that.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

The Voice of Time wrote:Now you're just being uncooperative marjoramblues. I know very well what it implies when I do it myself. If you can't accept that then we have nothing to discuss: I can't discuss with a person who presumes like that.
'Uncooperative'? - How?

'If can't accept that...' - What ?

'[You] can't discuss...' - Why not?

'...with a person who presumes like that' - What is presumed?

If you really wish no further discussion, here or elsewhere, that would be a shame; however, your choice...
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

The Voice of Time wrote:SoB I don't think you were realizing what you were actually saying, and that you might be needing some self-reflection yourself. You implicated that my interest was only in playing tricks with words to harvest self-esteem, in so doing you trivialize and discard my work.

I take my work very seriously when I conduct it, I have a very genuine interest in philosophy I've had almost all my life. You pervert one of the things I hold the most dear to me, framing it as if I am only playing a joke with people. You very much hurt my pride when you say such perverted things, because one of the things I am the most proud of is that when I do philosophy I MEAN BUSINESS! There's no fuckings joke or trick in this, if I get pride in this forum it is not from any of you, but only from the realization of myself, the self-recognition of my expressions, as I do the one thing that is the most dear to me of all my daily activities.
Apparently I made you think. Good! Or so it would seem from your twice visitation to my words. Have they bothered you that much, if so then what you should really be asking yourself is why? And it seems that you are. I just tried to color it a bit for you. Was there something personal in it for you? Only you can be that judge. But I disagree with you, that pride is not required. Here is the first definition, of my primary resource, which is how I've always seen pride for quite sometime, what a coincidence.

pride [prahyd] noun, verb, prid·ed, prid·ing.
noun
1. a high or
inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

What I'm beginning to find as uncanny is how many of my understandings of words that I've had for many years are reflected to a T in the definitions that I search for and find as they pertain to my dealings here in this forum. I really can't believe that I'm so accurate. It boggles the mind.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves.

But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune.

Carl Jung
The Voice of Time

reasonvemotion wrote:Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves.

But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune.

Carl Jung
Without pride you die. Or end up on life-support.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

The Voice of Time wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves.

Carl Jung
Without pride you die. Or end up on life-support.
Not at all! Maybe you need 'a high or inordinate opinion of your own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc,' to live, but I surely don't.
The Voice of Time

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Not at all! Maybe you need 'a high or inordinate opinion of your own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc,' to live, but I surely don't.
Your dictionary bible is gonna keep you away from wisdom as long as you credit it with anything. People make words and attribute them meaning, not dictionaries. There is no wisdom in a dictionary, no knowledge and no answers except tautologies.
The Voice of Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=701QEmZc ... i_iOXRXuGp

"Experts in Emotion 10.2 -- David DeSteno on Emotions and Social Interaction"

10:20 minutes.

The video talks about halfway through about pride, and an important point which I've stressed (in other words) in this thread is brought up here in this video a bit differently, namely that humans use pride to acquire abilities from other people.

It's fun when you find professionals that agree (loosely) to what you yourself say.