Ego and Competition

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

rickywaldron

Ego and Competition

Post by rickywaldron »

Hi, I have been getting into a lot of Eastern philosophy and am finding it very interesting and eye opening. However I can't seem to get my mind around the concept of having no ego and how that relates to some parts of my life. For example, I enjoy competitively running, and the rivalries in the running community seem to be very healthy. Is there anything wrong, in terms of seeking to have no ego, with trying to be the best at something? I love the concept and how it relates to peace in the world but this one part confuses me slightly.
Thanks
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Ego and Competition

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.......................................................................Image

.................................................................................................Hang in there!

I don't think there is anything wrong with you at all.

Matter of fact, everything is right with you.

In general, most reflective individuals believe there is something to being a bit detached from one's ego. Whatever ego is...

I was with a modern day prophet for a while. He pronounced the word ego as egg-o. Conveyed the impression the one's tangible ego is, in fact, like a protective covering over one's inner being.

Speaking symbolically, left brain ego is linear and is great for focusing and giving verbal direction.

Right brain is regional. This is where meaning is interpreted. Right brain is the non-verbal powerhouse. This is where super-strength resides.

Both sides of the brain, when working in concert can produce miraculous results.

Good luck with the meets!

Everything is the way it should be.

.......................................................................................

Felasco

Post by Felasco »

rickywaldron wrote:However I can't seem to get my mind around the concept of having no ego and how that relates to some parts of my life.
Lots of writers of Eastern philosophy like to whip up big complicated theories etc, so you can surely be excused if it all sounds bizarre. Imho, that's the writer's problem, not yours. (Your problem is if you want it to be complicated.)

You are thought. Very simple.

By "you" I mean, that which we usually are referring to when we say "me". Your memories, your opinions, your feelings, your plans, your ego etc, all thought. That's not complicated, right?

To the degree that thought is slowed or stop, you go away. No more you, no more ego etc.

Obviously "me" can not go away permanently, because we all need thought to function in the world. However, "me" can go away for a bit, whenever you want, in part of every day perhaps.

I suggest you just forget about all the stuff you will read that is about becoming this or that. Permanently losing your ego, becoming enlightened, all of that, just chuck it, it's all rubbish.

Once you dump the future tripping, this becomes quite simple.

If you are hungry, eat.

If you are tired, rest.

If your mind is driving you nutty, turn it off, or lower the volume.

Lowering the volume of your mind is a simple straightforward process that's really no more complicated than doing situps. Simple exercises applied patiently over time will do the job.

If you're looking for something grand and glorious, a way to become something amazing, a total transformation of consciousness etc, eastern philosophies can keep you entertained chasing a future trip for decades.

But if you do pursue it for decades, you'll eventually wind up right here anyway. Eating when you're hungry, resting when you're tired, and giving your brain a break as needed.

I suggest, save yourself a long fancy talk future trip, and be serious enough to keep it simple.

Good luck!
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.........................................................................................................................................
Well done!

.........................................................................Image

.............................................................................................................Excellent post. Good advice.

Felasco

Post by Felasco »

Not well done!

Waste of space post!

Not interested!

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...................................................................Image

......................................................................................................................................How so?

duszek

Post by duszek »

If I follow my desires like an animal I neglect my ego.
I simply follow the instinct of self-preservation.

Can we say that a dog has an ego ?
Can a dog feel insulted ?
Disappointed, yes, but insulted ? Or indignant ?
No. No insult, no ego.

Ego can be in the way.
Functioning in a community and following one´s healthy instincts is more important in eastern cultures.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Competition in running is one aspect.

But you could also see it in a different way: the person running first is cutting the air and so the person following is pulled by the first one. I experienced it myself at school, I ran after someone and at the end had energy to overtake this person and run to the end.
Later at home my mother explained this effect to me.

So: two people running could take turns, one person runs and then is overtaken and can relax a little while the other one is pulling.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I agree...

Kind-of like this:

...............................................................................................

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi rickywaldron,
rickywaldron wrote:Hi, I have been getting into a lot of Eastern philosophy and am finding it very interesting and eye opening. ...
Which eastern philosophies?