Thinking is pattern recognition

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Thinking is pattern recognition

Post by bahman »

We experience all sorts of things from our birth to death. There are however patterns in what we experience. Thinking is a process which through it we recognize patterns in our experiences.
Agent Smith

Re: Thinking is pattern recognition

Post by Agent Smith »

AXXXAXAAAXAAAAAAXXAXAX

Is there a pattern?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:00 am AXXXAXAAAXAAAAAAXXAXAX

Is there a pattern?
Maybe, I cannot tell.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

bahman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:51 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:00 am AXXXAXAAAXAAAAAAXXAXAX

Is there a pattern?
Maybe, I cannot tell.
Noted. Good day.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 pm We experience all sorts of things from our birth to death. There are however patterns in what we experience. Thinking is a process which through it we recognize patterns in our experiences.
What would be the point in recognizing patterns in our experiences if our experiences are not representative of the world in some way? What is the point of recognizing patterns at all? It seems to me that the point of recognizing patterns is to be able to make accurate predictions that allows us to have some degree of control in our lives that make it easier to survive and find mates and predators and food.

Is there a pattern to wear you store the food in your house so that you might predict where it is when you are hungry?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 pm We experience all sorts of things from our birth to death. There are however patterns in what we experience. Thinking is a process which through it we recognize patterns in our experiences.
This sounds and looks like a very CIRCULAR pattern, to me, and one which is REALLY saying and showing NOTHING, AT ALL.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Thinking certainly includes recognizing patterns. But it is a lot of other things also. The OP is asserting something. It didnt do this but it might 'give and example'. Perhaps when reading it we remember something unrelated and think about that. A later argument may use 'deduction'.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Pattern recognition is perception, perception is experience, experience is meaning, and meaning is knowledge. Thinking is a relational process between objects, circumstances, ideas, and judgments.
Last edited by popeye1945 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

That's true, but also understand, ex mea (humble) sententia, that poodles are dogs are animals are living things.

"Milas didn't water your plants mon ami."

"What?! Look at them, they're blooming and healthy, and so fulla life!"

"No, he did! The proof is the plants themselves."

"WTF?!"
bahman

Post by bahman »

Trajk Logik wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:56 pm
What would be the point in recognizing patterns in our experiences if our experiences are not representative of the world in some way?
Patterns are representative of what we observe in the world.
Trajk Logik wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:56 pm What is the point of recognizing patterns at all?
Patterns help us in different situations to realize or guess the problems, find a solution for them, and decide appropriately. Patterns can be divided into different categories of which each has an application depending on the situation.
Trajk Logik wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:56 pm It seems to me that the point of recognizing patterns is to be able to make accurate predictions that allows us to have some degree of control in our lives that make it easier to survive and find mates and predators and food.
Predicting the future is one of the patterns and of course, it is very important.
Trajk Logik wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:56 pm Is there a pattern to wear you store the food in your house so that you might predict where it is when you are hungry?
Yes.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:49 am
This sounds and looks like a very CIRCULAR pattern, to me, and one which is REALLY saying and showing NOTHING, AT ALL.
Nothing shows anything to you at all.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 am
Thinking certainly includes recognizing patterns. But it is a lot of other things also. The OP is asserting something. It didnt do this but it might 'give and example'. Perhaps when reading it we remember something unrelated and think about that. A later argument may use 'deduction'.
Patterns can be divided into 6 categories, namely logic, rules, concepts, analogies, images, and connections. You are familiar with the pattern of logic so I give you an example rule: All students who work hard and are smart enough get good marks.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm Patterns can be divided into 6 categories, namely logic, rules, concepts, analogies, images, and connections. You are familiar with the pattern of logic so I give you an example rule: All students who work hard and are smart enough get good marks.
So, when we are illogical, we aren't thinking?
An image is not a pattern. A series of images might be a pattern. I can see an image I've never seen before.
Why does everyone have to use reductionism?
Why can't complexity be complexity?
Hey, I just remembered an exception to that rule about students. Not a pattern, an exception.
Ooh, I hate that guy at the gas station.
Not pattern recognition.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:57 pm
Age wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:49 am
Nothing shows anything to you at all.
So, to 'you', "bahman", there IS this 'nothing', (or NO 'thing'), which shows 'anything', (or absolutely ANY 'thing'), to 'me', AT ALL, right?

Maybe you might like to REWORD what you SAID and WROTE here.

We will WAIT, to SEE.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 am
Patterns can be divided into 6 categories, namely logic, rules, concepts, analogies, images, and connections. You are familiar with the pattern of logic so I give you an example rule: All students who work hard and are smart enough get good marks.
But it is ONLY those people who COPY and FOLLOW "others" 'teachings' who get so-called 'good marks'.

SEE, and OBVIOUSLY, A 'student' could so-called 'work hard' and be VERY so-called 'smart' but NOT get so-called 'good marks' BECAUSE 'it' provides answers, which may well be FAR MORE True, Right, and/or Correct but which are NOT the answers being 'sought after'.

So, I suggest that if one would like to provide an example of a 'pattern of ACTUAL logic', then they provide an ACTUAL 'good' or 'working' example of 'logic', itself.