The myth of spiritual meditation practice.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Re: The myth of spiritual meditation practice.

Post by Maia »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:45 pm
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:35 pm
I do have agency, as we all do, and can therefore make at least some of it happen.
The sense of I having agency that has some form of control over what happens is an illusion. This illusion is held in the mind, and the mind's only reference point is with itself which is illusory.
I don't really agree with that, though it's a common enough assertion. I'm not suggesting we have total control, but we do have some.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:49 pm
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:35 pm
I do have agency, as we all do, and can therefore make at least some of it happen.
The sense of I having agency that has some form of control over what happens is an illusion. This illusion is held in the mind, and the mind's only reference point is with itself which is illusory.
I don't really agree with that, though it's a common enough assertion. I'm not suggesting we have total control, but we do have some.
We do not have any control except the belief we do. No one believes this. Or who would believe this?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Not every fantasy can be interrupted, nor should it.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:58 pm

We do not have any control except the belief we do. No one believes this. Or who would believe this?
That's just an assertion though. Can you provide any evidence?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:02 pm

The evidence for my assertion is self-evident in your assertion that the assertion has been asserted. It's a self-sustaining feedback loop upon itself. There is here only the self communicating with itself and the belief in that self, without which there is no narrative, no story, and no assertions. Without the mind, which we all have. Without the mind for One's projection screen, where would the world/universe be (located)?

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:18 pm

The evidence for my assertion is self-evident in your assertion that the assertion has been asserted. It's a self-sustaining feedback loop upon itself. There is here only the self communicating with itself and the belief in that self, without which there is no narrative, no story, and no assertions.

I have no coherent response to that.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:19 pm

The evidence for my assertion is self-evident in your assertion that the assertion has been asserted. It's a self-sustaining feedback loop upon itself. There is here only the self communicating with itself and the belief in that self, without which there is no narrative, no story, and no assertions.

What can the mind do with nothing?

Without the mind for One's projection screen, where would the world/universe be (located)?

Every known thing is a projection of the mind, and the mind is a myth.

So is spirituality and all that other dogmatic jargon. . that the believing brain whips up out of thin air. Namely, empty silent space.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:22 pm
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:19 pm

What can the mind do with nothing?

Without the mind for One's projection screen, where would the world/universe be (located)?

Every known thing is a projection of the mind, and the mind is a myth.

So is spirituality and all that other dogmatic jargon. . that the believing brain whips up out of thin air. Namely, empty silent space.
In what way is the mind a myth?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Let's just be clear here:
someone who has said that we have no agency, which would include her, DAM
who has said that we have no access to reality, which would include her, DAM
who has said that there is no truth,

is right now lecturing someone else
about what is true, what reality is, and claming to know all sorts of things.

and if this mind, DAM's has no agency, it wouldn't have the slightest idea why it is saying things or if they meaningful for others.

Because other people, including Maia, would be part of that reality DAM claims to have no access to.

Forturnately I dooubt Maia will fall for this anti-life, self-contradictory agenda and certainly doesn't need my help.

But I think the illogical toxicity is worth summing up.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm...
Likely such a talent as you describe, combined with the need to write a lot of dualistic words, would find pleasure in recording and sharing the trail of concepts that flows from these non-conceptual sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRuJboO5VDY
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:00 pm
If we dont think then...are "you" there? ...where is thought?

A neuroscientist could tell you the body doesn't know it's a body. No thing knows itself, knowledge can only point to the illusory nature of reality.

Reality is virtual, not spiritual.

But don't take my word for it, discover for yourself. Where is mind, what is mind and can it be a tangible thing and could a tangible thing think?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:19 pm
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:00 pm
If we dont think then...are "you" there? ...where is thought?

A neuroscientist could tell you the body doesn't know it's a body. No thing knows itself, knowledge can only point to the illusory nature of reality.

Reality is virtual, not spiritual.

But don't take my word for it, discover for yourself. Where is mind, what is mind and can it be a tangible thing and could a tangible thing think?
If your train of thought leads to a ridiculous conclusion, then the chances are there's something wrong with your train of thought.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:39 pm the need to write a lot of dualistic words
Every word is unwritten.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:27 pm
If your train of thought leads to a ridiculous conclusion, then the chances are there's something wrong with your train of thought.
Well the last time I looked at my train of thought, all there was to see was nothing, in fact the invisibilty of my thoughts were so profound that I couldn't even see if there was something that remotely looked like wrong there at all.

Last time I looked at my body, it was functioning quite normally, nothing wrong there either, nothing that would suggest it was going to stop functioning because it was all just wired up wrong, like a machine that won't operate due to faulty wiring.

I have to admit, I do have some rather strange ideas about the nature of reality though, but that's just me being a philosopher. I hope it's not wrong to be a philosopher.

Or do we have to think like everyone else, and if we don't think like everyone else, then does that mean that there is something wrong with thinking unlike anyone else but oneself?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:36 pm
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:27 pm
Well the last time I looked at my train of thought, all there was to see was nothing, in fact the invisibilty of my thoughts were so profound that I couldn't even see if there was something that remotely looked like wrong there at all.

Last time I looked at my body, it was functioning quite normally, nothing wrong there either, nothing that would suggest it was going to stop functioning because it was all just wired up wrong, like a machine that won't operate due to faulty wiring.

I have to admit, I do have some rather strange ideas about the nature of reality though, but that's just me being a philosopher. I hope it's not wrong to be a philosopher.

Or do we have to think like everyone else, and if we don't think like everyone else, then does that mean that there is something wrong with thinking unlike anyone else but oneself?
Just because everyone thinks you're wrong, doesn't make you right.