The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker »

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj exists as universal, timeless, elegant mind, and day-by-day the reality of his eternal existence, solidifies.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 am "I am not a man, I am not a woman.
Neither a saint, nor a god.
I am not the body, I am not the mind.
I am not a person of any kind.
Neither the self, nor the soul.
But much, much deeper than a black hole.
I am nothing.
I am nothing but everything.
Because everything is nothing.
And nothing is everything."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Source for the quote?
Walker

Post by Walker »

“When one talks of consciousness, one is likely to think in terms of an individual. But understand that it is not really the individual that has consciousness, but it is the consciousness that assumes innumerable forms.”

All paths lead to unreality. Paths are creations within the scope of knowledge. Therefore, paths and movements cannot transport you into Reality, because their function is to enmesh you within the dimension of knowledge, while the Reality prevails prior to it.*

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
The Ultimate Medicine

* Commentary: I Am, therefore I think.
Walker

Post by Walker »

He speaks with the passion of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI

:lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

But understand that it is not really the individual that has consciousness, but it is the consciousness that assumes innumerable forms.

If that doesn't make you swallow your gum, nothin' will.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:56 am But understand that it is not really the individual that has consciousness, but it is the consciousness that assumes innumerable forms.
In which case, consciousness would be extraneous to the forms which contain it, as if it were some kind of spore infecting the organism.

Haven't we seen this movie before?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dubious wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:41 am
Walker wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:56 am But understand that it is not really the individual that has consciousness, but it is the consciousness that assumes innumerable forms.
In which case, consciousness would be extraneous to the forms which contain it, as if it were some kind of spore infecting the organism.

- Sri Nisargadatta’s observation means that each form accesses a portion of the same total consciousness.

- The portion of total consciousness accessed is determined by the capacity of the particular form.

- For example, humans have the capacity to access a heaping portion of the totality, a capacity only limited by the human-form’s capacity.

- Dolphins and parrots also have their capacity to access a portion of the same totality of consciousness that a human accesses, and some of those portions accessed are shared, such as consciousness of physical pain, and in the parrot's case an affinity for spicy language.

- Considering that animals probably have fewer corruptions than humans, we can figure that although higher animals can access less of the totality than humans, they can as a rule access more of what they’ve got, than corrupted humans can.

- However, a corrupted human’s capacity, no matter how the corruption is inflicted, limits access to the totality of consciousness that otherwise would not be limited, save for the corruption.

- Ergo, purification is to reopen pathways to the totality of the singular consciousness shared by human physical forms and all other forms, a totality which is only fragmented by the limitations of any particular form.

- In the case of humans, capacity unsullied in any way, even if it’s reclaimed from corruption, can access the totality of consciousness.

- Purification of what, you may ask? Certainly you may. And with good fortune for all, a need to share what’s found after the asking may cause some movement, some physical movement of thought to share what may not even be perfect, or yet complete.

Maybe it's the song you've heard, and not the movie you've seen?
(The Biden tells us not to believe our lying eyes.)

Love that opening lick ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up0GIUtSX9k
seeds

Post by seeds »

Walker wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm

- Sri Nisargadatta’s observation means that each form accesses a portion of the same total consciousness.
What "portion" of the "...same total consciousness..." grasped the fabric of reality and shaped it into the innumerable galaxies of suns and planets spread throughout the universe?
_______
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Well I guess we just have to live with our limitations since corruption is a fact of life. It's not likely that anyone was ever so uncorrupted as to experience the whole of consciousness...whatever that's supposed to mean, even though there is no shortage of gurus and quacks trying to explain it being thoroughly conscious of its mega mula potential.

...a minor detail. Sri Nisargadatta doesn't mention where this consciousness comes from that's supposed to be rationed out based on the form meant to contain it.

As for...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up0GIUtSX9k
not my style.

For something more mind-expanding, I'll take this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVdTI21rZQ
Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:35 pm

What "portion" of the "...same total consciousness..." grasped the fabric of reality and shaped it into the innumerable galaxies of suns and planets spread throughout the universe?
_______
The Supreme Ordering Principle of the Universe.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dubious wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:40 pm
Well I guess we just have to live with our limitations since corruption is a fact of life. It's not likely that anyone was ever so uncorrupted as to experience the whole of consciousness...

Christ, Buddha, to name two. There's more, but who needs the tedium of debating a proof of what's past, and thus debatable? Not I, said the little red hen.

whatever that's supposed to mean, even though there is no shortage of gurus and quacks trying to explain it being thoroughly conscious of its mega mula potential.

You don't say, Mr. Corruption Cliche. Don't forget the priests diddling the lil' chillen, or the many teachers who do the same.

...a minor detail. Sri Nisargadatta doesn't mention where this consciousness comes from that's supposed to be rationed out based on the form meant to contain it.

How do you know? Have you done all your own research that is to be done? No, you have not, and I'm not particularly into forced spoon-feeding.

:)
Walker

Post by Walker »

_______
You may have meant to ask, which form? Which physical form?

A physical form unperceived* until it is perceived, like wind is unperceived until it's ridden by smoke.

* Due to corruption.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Walker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:50 am

_______
In other words, you haven't a clue, and neither did Sri Nisargadatta.
_______
Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:52 am
_______
_______
Aren't you the nasty person.

In other words, The Supreme Ordering Principle of the Universe.

No spoon feed for you.

A quick check with google suggests that you could begin with Spinoza and see where that road takes you, if you're actually into knowing, or should I say beginning to know (yes, I should) rather than identifying as, the typical and tired old second rate elevator inspector identity* …

* unlicensed.

fun stuff, but my how you waste resources.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Walker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:00 am
seeds wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:52 am
_______
Aren't you the nasty person.

In other words, The Supreme Ordering Principle of the Universe.

No spoon feed for you.

A quick check with google suggests that you could begin with Spinoza and see where that road takes you, if you're actually into knowing, rather than identifying as, the typical and tired old second rate elevator inspector identity* …

* unlicensed.
What's nasty about pointing out a simple and obvious truth?

However, if you can provide us with a truly logical explanation as to precisely how "The Supreme Ordering Principle of the Universe" - became - "The Supreme Ordering Principle of the Universe," then I'm listening.
_______