Meditation

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Meditation

Post by Walker »

One of the best explanations you will ever read.

https://www.shinzen.org/wp-content/uplo ... rt_How.pdf
Dontaskme

Re: Meditation

Post by Dontaskme »

Yes, A good read indeed...thanks for the link.

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time

If meditation is a journey, it is a journey to where one is. The distance separating starting point and goal is zero.
The mystic’s freedom is none other than noticing that the bonds don't exist to begin with. In ultimate terms, to
create in people's minds a solidified concept of enlightenment as a future goal is already to mislead them in
some way.

Before enlightenment chop wood carry water - after enlightenment chop wood carry water.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Selling and peddling enlightenment comes from an arrogant condescending megalomania mentality. I say, don't buy it because all you will be doing is paying for absolutely nothing. You'll give everything and get nothing. That's just about as much as it's worth. And yet for some it's all worth the addmission fee.

Last edited by Dontaskme on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Enlightenment is about subtraction, not addition.
Everyone already knows what needs to be known.

Subtract the smudges and dirt from the windows.

Sweep the dirt from the front walk, clean away the chaos that obscures the beauty of the stonework.
f12hte

Post by f12hte »

Meditation helps you carpe the shit out of the diem. All that we have is now. The past is contained in now and the future is borne of now.
Walker

Post by Walker »

As the OP link explains, there are two aspects to meditation.

The first is Shamatha, which is a non-intellectual calming of the mind. The endpoint of Shamatha is the cessation of thought.

This prepares the mind for vipashyana, which is clear intellectual contemplation leading to insight into the nature of reality.

Any thoughts about the nature of reality, such as insight concerning the three times, is the vipashyana aspect of meditation.

- Seizing the day sounds a bit like grasshopper philosophy.
- Delayed gratification is a characteristic of maturity and control of ephemeral impulses.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Once you understand the nature of mind, you understand the nature of all things.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 pm Once you understand the nature of mind, you understand the nature of all things.
Once you understand the nature of mind (Abstract Mentation The natural Artist.

You understand the nature of all things (Nature is Art-i-ficial) OFFicial

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Selling and peddling enlightenment comes from an arrogant condescending megalomania mentality.

One cannot sell enlightenment, it's not for sale. Charlatan's are a dime a dozen. Talk is cheap.
So what is the teacher of enlightement actually doing but peddling experiences. Such experiences will never be experienced. One simply cannot experience the experience of another. Trying on for size someone elses experience will not always be what you will get, you may get a whole different kind of experience that was nothing like it was described to you. Experiences are full of surprises, you just never know what you are going to get.
Beware the sellers of experiences especially when they tell you that (unless you do the thing I'm doing this way only) then you will never see God, aka be enlightned.

That's the sickness of the human egoic mind, when all that's happening is one ego is being substitued for another even bigger ego.

We're all mental here, no one is excluded, or immune from this mentality, we're all sick, there is no cure. We we're all diagnosed with a terminal illness at birth, we're all dying, get over it and just live out the rest of your life shining. No effort required. :D

Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 am
Walker wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 pm Once you understand the nature of mind, you understand the nature of all things.

Sems is mind.

Sems nyid is nature of mind.

Sems is of the intellect, and nothing to be sneezed at (metaphorical sneezing being arrogance related to ego) simply because one understands the nature of mind.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:51 am
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 am

Sems is mind.

Sems nyid is nature of mind.

Sems is of the intellect, and nothing to be sneezed at (metaphorical sneezing being arrogance related to ego) simply because one understands the nature of mind.
Would you like a handkerchief ?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Why would I? I don't sneeze at intellectuals. In fact, solid intellectual presentations such as those presented by philosophers are quite stimulating, so much so that waiting for them to appear here on the forum is worth the wait. It's like hearing a voice that really knows how to sing.

I could name the intellectuals who participate here, who make worthwhile contributions, but I wouldn't want to inadvertently exclude any of them.