The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:38 pm

“If you want to sin, sin wholeheartedly and openly. Sins too have their lessons to teach the earnest sinner, as virtues — the earnest saint. It is the mixing up the two that is so disastrous. Nothing can block you so effectively as compromise, for it shows lack of earnestness, without which nothing can be done.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Walker

Post by Walker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 pm

“Whatever name you give it: will, or steady purpose, or one-pointedness of the mind, you come back to earnestness, sincerity, honesty. When you are in dead earnest, you tend every incident, every second of your life to your purpose. You, do not waste time and energy on other things. You are totally dedicated, call it will, or love, or plain honesty. We are complex beings, at war within and without. We contradict ourselves all the time, undoing today the work of yesterday. No wonder we are stuck. A little of integrity would make a lot of difference.”

Walker

Post by Walker » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:24 am

Total trust is where the Western Mind falls short, but the sage says any way is fine.

No way is short or long, but some people are more in earnest and some are less. I can tell you about myself. I was a simple man, but I trusted my Guru. What he told me to do, I did. He told me to concentrate on ‘I am’ — I did. He told me that I am beyond all perceivables and conceivables — I believed. I gave him my heart and soul, my entire attention and the whole of my spare time (I had to work to keep my family alive). As a result of faith and earnest application, I realized my self (swarupa) within three years.

You may choose any way that suits you; your earnestness will determine the rate of progress.