Hello Rick Lewis, Thank you

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: Hello Rick Lewis, Thank you

Post by chaz wyman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 pm

AMod wrote:To All,

I moderate with a very light touch but posts do get moved if in my opinion they are in the wrong place. I probably haven't made it clear enough but if an original poster thinks a post is off-topic and wishes it removed from their thread I will look favourably upon the request as I think some ownership from the author should be encouraged upon a philosophy forum rather than an 'almighty' moderator making such decisions.

I do not on the whole moderate the rude and boorish comments as I think they give context to the poster and effectively shoot the poster in their own foot as people tend to ignore their other contributions and if I cleaned them up this would give them a false persona.

I am constantly amazed that those on a philosophy forum, whom I presume think themselves philosophical, think that this freedom to post what they wish is a licence to behave badly rather than argue from a philosophical viewpoint. Although I'm mildly amused that such wish to be moderated with the claim that this will make them behave better.

The forum has a section where many articles from the PN mag are published and as such those who wish to talk 'philosophy' should have more than enough ammunition to be going on with. I look forward to the discussions.

This could all change if Rick Lewis requests it but at present I think the forum reasonably reflects the level of Philosophy Now in a randomish selection of the Internet public.

I think the forum would be worth the effort if it at least affected one person to take an interest in Philosophy and attempt a more philosophical stance and I think this has been the case, as artisticsolution has grown in leaps and bounds in her critical thinking and style compared to when she first started to post. I look forward to seeing how it affects her Art.

AMod.
This Forum is a serious impediment to the reputation of the Magazine.
Unless someone is prepared to do a little more to moderate in favour of some... er... philosophical discussions, this will always be a thorn in the side of a great publication.
If you do not think this is right then seriously - READ through the last 30 postings and see if you can find any philosophy! It seems to me that neither Rick, nor Amod spend any time here.

It would be better if this forum did not exist - maybe you could offer some of the content of the magazine to a Forum which is already active, and working like a "Philosophy Forum" - not a shit slinging arena for morons and the mentally unstable?

I find it sad to have to go to other Forums for a decent chat. It is not that this Forum has always been so shit, but at the moment it has become populated with a different breed of contributor. I doubt many of these even subscribe to the magazine.
For me - I am getting more from other Forums, and think it a shame that I cannot support my interest in the articles in the magazine, with discussion on those topics without fending off arrogant, insulting and stupid comments.

I doubt if I shall bother to re-subscribe to the magazine.

Here is one customer that this Forum has caused to leave.
Sorry.

artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 am

AMod wrote: I think the forum would be worth the effort if it at least affected one person to take an interest in Philosophy and attempt a more philosophical stance and I think this has been the case, as artisticsolution has grown in leaps and bounds in her critical thinking and style compared to when she first started to post. I look forward to seeing how it affects her Art.
Thanks Amod, I missed this. What a great compliment but if I have grown it is because of the PN mag and this forum. When I read Chaz comments I was perplexed. Perhaps the thing that is giving Chaz bad feelings about this forum is the very thing that you speak of above about average people like me growing 'leaps and bounds". Perhaps Chaz is having difficulty here because he has unrealistic expectations.

When I signed up with the forum many many years ago, I remember reading something from Rick about his goal to bring philosophy to the masses. Well, like it or not....the average person with average intelligence makes up the majority of the 'masses'.

I did not know what philosophy was before I came to the forum. And the only reason I came to the forum in the first place was because I happened to be looking at magazines in my local bookstore and saw the word "EMPATHY" on the cover of a magazine (which happened to be Philosophy Now) and I was curious. I bought it...took it home...saw an invite to the forum and joined.

I can certainly understand how frustrating it might be for intellectual types to have conversations with my 'type'. It must seem to those with a background in philosophy or those who are exceptionally bright (like Chaz), like having to babysit a kindergarten class all day. And it certainly is frustrating for me to think I am making a point only to have it misinterpreted as an insult when it wasn't intended as such. It is frustrating to not be able to communicate an idea only to have someone think you are insulting them on purpose or deliberately trying to be dishonest to sway an argument...or some other language barrier that us 'morons' tend to have...lol. So many times I have not understood what I have said that pisses someone off. I just figure it is my lack of knowledge of philosophy 'jargon' and popular 'key words' that I am unaware are 'taboo.'

It seems to me Chaz is implying that the forum should be a place where he can go to talk to people who are more on the same level intellectually speaking. And he has mentioned that he has to go to other forums to "find a decent chat." What I don't understand is why he thinks that is "sad'. Is there some sort of love/hate thing going on? He did mention that he loves the magazine...so why not still subscribe but then 'cheat' with another forum?

Personally, I don't think Chaz likes the reflection he created of himself in this forum. And the persona he conveys when he is 'moderated' is more to his liking...I can certain understand that...as I like myself as an artist and feel I produce much better art when I am working for a client, or moderated with input as in a collaboration type endeavor, for example. Sometimes I feel I have lost my way when I am too free to create. My mind has too many options...and when I choose an option which is not pleasing to my aesthetics...I hate the reflection of myself in my mind's eye. Perhaps it is the same with Chaz? Perhaps he hates what he has created by having too much freedom? I dunno, I am just guessing.

Anyway, one thing I will say is I will miss him and I hope he will return (the evil side of me kinda hopes his new mistress will ban him and he will be forced to come home to us...lol :twisted: )

Another thing I found interesting is that his last word was "sorry". I seem to remember him saying he never apologized....odd...but I like this new side of Chaz.

WHYMASTER47

Post by WHYMASTER47 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello all remaining posters, Normally I would recommend a new sight to someone looking, but I do not know any group that I dislike so much, that I would send him to them. I am sorry that he is un-happy but some how I thing he would be un-happy no matter where he is. OMJerry

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 pm

GIGO

Are you a representative of this race called hu'man? I'm no racist but it seems odd that such a weak specimen would be representative of an entire race. I think I might cry over that.Indeed. But you meant to hurt me, so I accept the sentiment....fag. Intentions mean a lot...and you can imagine me being hurt by you not reading my posts. Please carry on hurting me...it saves me time. I think I shall.Why are such a little bitch, chaz? Jeez, what an idiot you are. Ideas are not ideals, you idiot. My idea of life as being mortal is not my ideal. My idea of my self is not my ideal. It is that it is NOT my ideal that makes me strive and struggle and suffer to become more.What a comeback, bitch! I christened this place the retard farm when I was here last year. It hasn't changed. But you, bitch, are going to be dressed in ribbons and bells and paraded around as this place's paragon and archetype. Dance for me, bitch. What's funny is that I'm not threatening any of you and being far more polite than you deserve, but your minds have inflated me to the degree that I'm this ogre or devil figure worthy of attack. That I'm like Satyr... or what Satyr presents himself as for the benefit of such retardation as is on display here. Once more you are being lead by your own prejudices, little woman.The idea that no "sane" man can be against your cultural mythologies is one they've trained into you. Feminism and affirmative action and egalitarianism are a bane upon human existence. But believe what you like. Believe I am also a Christian deist. Who, the fuck, cares?you rang, aposha? i see you're still around leaving your odoriferous spray wherever it may land and closely following the so-called 'Satyr' like a good little slave boy. Surely there are several other boards who would relish your level of stupidity. Why do you insist on making an asshole out of yourself on this one? Your denseness must not allow it... poor little slave boy. Evolution has surpassed you and your lover, Satyr, and meantime you continue snapping at the heels of intellect in hopes of getting bitch slapped. How quaint, moron... and how revealing to observe evolution passing you by.Let's love each other and expand our horizons. Let's learn what it truly means to be human.That's because in my real life nobody pays any attention to me. Still, you are an imbecile...and I would never want to be like youHow can someone so smart and funny be so bigoted.People are always a bit surprised:He looked and talked so normal.I mean, anyone who thins females are less intelligent, in abstract thinking than males or that Niggers are less intelligent, in general, than Europeans must be a humorless, Nazi.You can turn the other cheek, meek little woman, I don't. Nor is my love so cheap, like a whore's, that I give it away to everyone.

There is no philosophy duck in the Blancmange that is Philosophy Now Forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84KVnDs_BM
@13 minutes.
Last edited by chaz wyman on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:17 pm

artisticsolution wrote:
AMod wrote: I think the forum would be worth the effort if it at least affected one person to take an interest in Philosophy and attempt a more philosophical stance and I think this has been the case, as artisticsolution has grown in leaps and bounds in her critical thinking and style compared to when she first started to post. I look forward to seeing how it affects her Art.
Thanks Amod, I missed this. What a great compliment but if I have grown it is because of the PN mag and this forum. When I read Chaz comments I was perplexed. Perhaps the thing that is giving Chaz bad feelings about this forum is the very thing that you speak of above about average people like me growing 'leaps and bounds". Perhaps Chaz is having difficulty here because he has unrealistic expectations.

When I signed up with the forum many many years ago, I remember reading something from Rick about his goal to bring philosophy to the masses. Well, like it or not....the average person with average intelligence makes up the majority of the 'masses'.

I did not know what philosophy was before I came to the forum. And the only reason I came to the forum in the first place was because I happened to be looking at magazines in my local bookstore and saw the word "EMPATHY" on the cover of a magazine (which happened to be Philosophy Now) and I was curious. I bought it...took it home...saw an invite to the forum and joined.

I can certainly understand how frustrating it might be for intellectual types to have conversations with my 'type'. It must seem to those with a background in philosophy or those who are exceptionally bright (like Chaz), like having to babysit a kindergarten class all day. And it certainly is frustrating for me to think I am making a point only to have it misinterpreted as an insult when it wasn't intended as such. It is frustrating to not be able to communicate an idea only to have someone think you are insulting them on purpose or deliberately trying to be dishonest to sway an argument...or some other language barrier that us 'morons' tend to have...lol. So many times I have not understood what I have said that pisses someone off. I just figure it is my lack of knowledge of philosophy 'jargon' and popular 'key words' that I am unaware are 'taboo.'

It seems to me Chaz is implying that the forum should be a place where he can go to talk to people who are more on the same level intellectually speaking. And he has mentioned that he has to go to other forums to "find a decent chat." What I don't understand is why he thinks that is "sad'. Is there some sort of love/hate thing going on? He did mention that he loves the magazine...so why not still subscribe but then 'cheat' with another forum?

Personally, I don't think Chaz likes the reflection he created of himself in this forum. And the persona he conveys when he is 'moderated' is more to his liking...I can certain understand that...as I like myself as an artist and feel I produce much better art when I am working for a client, or moderated with input as in a collaboration type endeavor, for example. Sometimes I feel I have lost my way when I am too free to create. My mind has too many options...and when I choose an option which is not pleasing to my aesthetics...I hate the reflection of myself in my mind's eye. Perhaps it is the same with Chaz? Perhaps he hates what he has created by having too much freedom? I dunno, I am just guessing.

Anyway, one thing I will say is I will miss him and I hope he will return (the evil side of me kinda hopes his new mistress will ban him and he will be forced to come home to us...lol :twisted: )

Another thing I found interesting is that his last word was "sorry". I seem to remember him saying he never apologized....odd...but I like this new side of Chaz.
Saying sorry is not always the same as apologising. I am unhappy that the forum has changed so much recently. This is out of my control so I am not apologising. Shit happens.

I agree that some people have honed their arguing skills and you are one of them. I just think you would do ever better in a forum elsewhere.

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 am

A note from Thundril:

What a pile of shite this forum descends into sometimes.
Think I'll take a break. There are some real good discussions going on elsewhere. Regrettably, sooner or later, adolescent senescent ego-wankers squirt their slime all over an intelligent thread, and it dies.
If there was some sort of point, some dark humour, self-mockery, iconoclasm, anything with the whiff of human intelligence about it, I could put up with it.
Bored now.
Laters!

AMod

Post by AMod » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm

chaz wyman wrote:This Forum is a serious impediment to the reputation of the Magazine.
Unless someone is prepared to do a little more to moderate in favour of some... er... philosophical discussions, this will always be a thorn in the side of a great publication.
If you do not think this is right then seriously - READ through the last 30 postings and see if you can find any philosophy! It seems to me that neither Rick, nor Amod spend any time here.

It would be better if this forum did not exist - maybe you could offer some of the content of the magazine to a Forum which is already active, and working like a "Philosophy Forum" - not a shit slinging arena for morons and the mentally unstable?

I find it sad to have to go to other Forums for a decent chat. It is not that this Forum has always been so shit, but at the moment it has become populated with a different breed of contributor. I doubt many of these even subscribe to the magazine.
For me - I am getting more from other Forums, and think it a shame that I cannot support my interest in the articles in the magazine, with discussion on those topics without fending off arrogant, insulting and stupid comments.

I doubt if I shall bother to re-subscribe to the magazine.

Here is one customer that this Forum has caused to leave.
Sorry.
chaz wyman,

I find this more than mildly amusing given that since the get-go, and despite gentle reminders, you have made arrogant, dismissive, rude, insulting and at times down-right offensive comments in your posts to others. If I followed your advice I'd have deleted the majority of your posts and if I listened to others requests would have banned you a long time ago.

That you now claim that you will not be subscribing to the magazine because of this forum just adds childish pettiness to your list of character traits.

Take a look at the magazines articles, most are what I would call 'lecturer essays' and some are of the polemical philosophy type but all appear to be with the intent to inform the philosophically uneducated. Why not take a leaf out of their books instead of just dismissing others as "arrogant, insulting and stupid", as is your wont. Or better still PM me with a request to moderate the thread as I've yet to hear any requests from you to moderate replies in the Articles from Philosophy Now section?

In general my approach is that if one starts a thread then one should have some responsibility for it, not expect some 'authority' to do it all for you. If you haven't started it but think replies to you are unwarranted then PM me again and I'll make a judgement. In your case, most of the time, I think you get what you give out.

AMod

duszek

Post by duszek » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:34 pm

I agree with AMod.

We all can take responsibility by ignoring what we think is bad and ugly and by paying attention to what is good and worth promoting.
A sort of survival of the fittest should be the result in the long run.

Dr. Laura Schlesinger says: if you tolerate crap you get crap.

Thank you for sweeping a little bit here and there, AMod.

mickthinks

Post by mickthinks » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:25 pm

duszek wrote:I agree with AMod.
Yes, that goes for me too. Thanks dude!

WHYMASTER47

Post by WHYMASTER47 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:29 am

Hello all, Hello AMod,
Thank you very much for your efforts on our behalf.
Be at ease Your E-Pal OMJerry

duszek

Post by duszek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:59 pm

We are ourselves responsible for our philosophical sand-pit.

Rick is not to be blamed for our failures.

Looking for a culprit outside is as old as humanity, Adam pointed to Eve, Eve pointed to the serpent, God threw everyone out of paradise.

John

Post by John » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:25 pm

duszek wrote:Looking for a culprit outside is as old as humanity, Adam pointed to Eve, Eve pointed to the serpent, God threw everyone out of paradise.
And lo their subscriptions to Paradise Now were cancelled and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth because Adam's threat was an empty one but Eve had forgotten to mail the cheque and they both missed the special issue on Temptation and Morality which the serpent told them was really rather good and might have saved them a lot of trouble if they had read it earlier.

Or something like that.

duszek

Post by duszek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

But the Teddy read all about it and was able to report and the valley of tears got a little bit of sunshine after all.

WHYMASTER47

Post by WHYMASTER47 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello all, The only thing that I see that needs a solution is : The inflated expectation of the (give it to me now) seekers.
Those that seamlessly reject the concept that (Seeking in and of itself is the hindrance to understanding.)
Seeking is the avoidance of The Observation of the Here/Now Reality, seeking implies that one know what it is they seek,
or at least what it is that they flee from in the Present. This is seldom the occurrence.
Personally I would expect some long pauses between posts.(This may be in error,) That those willing to reply because they actually know the answers, and can find time to write, a well thought out reply, to some of the most difficult questions that there are.
They, should not be rushed in to a (IM) Instant Message mentality. If seekers would think about the topic and ask pointed intelligent questions.
They would be more likely to realize the enlightened position where they are..... (In their Here/Now.)
Pause, enjoy, realize. Be At Ease, Your E-Pal OMJerry. WHYMASTER47@cox

duszek

Post by duszek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Yes, it sounds good to me too, to celebrate a philosophical thread instead of chatting and sharing whatever comes into one´s mind as an objection or development.

But how to achieve such a result ?
One possibility would be to put a sort of time limit after each post, for example at least one hour. But then there would be a struggle after an hour among those willing to react.

So only a self-imposed discipline can work.

On the other hand, however, we often feel that we have something to say right away, and why shall we wait ?

It is difficult to find the right balance.