get serious

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: get serious

Post by FlashDangerpants »

mickthinks wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:27 pm Huh? It's because they are that they don't.
What an outrage! I'll have you know that this forum presently holds BOTH of the single best philosopher ever to have lived, along with at least five different people who can explain to you in depth exactly why philosophy is a failed endeavour and what it should be doing to become a completely important way to blend religion with science which is quite obviously a thing everyone should want to do right this minute. Who could possibly scorn such an excellent resource?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=483170 time=1607107314 user_id=11800]
[quote=mickthinks post_id=480916 time=1605976048 user_id=59]
Huh? It's because they are that they don't.
[/quote]
What an outrage! I'll have you know that this forum presently holds BOTH of the single best philosopher ever to have lived, along with at least five different people who can explain to you in depth exactly why philosophy is a failed endeavour and what it should be doing to become a completely important way to blend religion with science which is quite obviously a thing everyone should want to do right this minute. Who could possibly scorn such an excellent resource?
[/quote]

*probably the best philosopher ever to have lived. As that philosopher, i can tell you with some detail reasons why philosophy as a subject matter is stalled, but it's not a failed endeavor as a whole, only the way it's typically, and most of all academically, done.
FlashDangerpants

Advocate wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:46 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:41 pm
mickthinks wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:27 pm Huh? It's because they are that they don't.
*probably the best philosopher ever to have lived. As that philosopher, i can tell you with some detail reasons why philosophy as a subject matter is stalled, but it's not a failed endeavor as a whole, only the way it's typically, and most of all academically, done.
Hahahaha. Every time you claim to be the *probably the greatest philosopher ever to live, I'm going to to remind you that you posted this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30289&hilit=scotsman
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=483181 time=1607108590 user_id=11800]
[quote=Advocate post_id=483173 time=1607107604 user_id=15238]
[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=483170 time=1607107314 user_id=11800]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Hahahaha. Every time you claim to be the *probably the greatest philosopher ever to live, I'm going to to remind you that you posted this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30289&hilit=scotsman
[/quote]

Well i'm not going to respond every time with the fact that you're confusing a technical and a vernacular understanding of the fallacy, and willfully so.
FlashDangerpants

Advocate wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:04 pm Well i'm not going to respond every time with the fact that you're confusing a technical and a vernacular understanding of the fallacy, and willfully so.
That should be fun for me.

Please explain how determining that there is such a thing as a true scotsman fixes the no true scotsman thing in whichever of those senses you hope will get you out of the sane and simple alternative of just saying "oops I misunderstood the problem".

What is the vernacular understanding of an informal fallacy supposed to be?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=483184 time=1607109166 user_id=11800]
[quote=Advocate post_id=483182 time=1607108659 user_id=15238]
Well i'm not going to respond every time with the fact that you're confusing a technical and a vernacular understanding of the fallacy, and willfully so.
[/quote]
That should be fun for me.

Please explain how determining that there is such a thing as a true scotsman fixes the no true scotsman thing in whichever of those senses you hope will get you out of the sane and simple alternative of just saying "oops I misunderstood the problem".

What is the vernacular understanding of an informal fallacy supposed to be?
[/quote]

...all of which was covered in that thread.
FlashDangerpants

Oh, well, erm, thanks for the amazing philosophy, you are going to do very very well.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=483207 time=1607111927 user_id=11800]
Oh, well, erm, thanks for the amazing philosophy, you are going to do very very well.
[/quote]

So do you want to say something about the OP or move to the other topic or what?
FlashDangerpants

Advocate wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:11 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 pm Oh, well, erm, thanks for the amazing philosophy, you are going to do very very well.
So do you want to say something about the OP or move to the other topic or what?
Is there any need? I made my point with trademark sarcasm, and then you came along and demonstrated it to be fair comment. we're sort of done unless I want to spend a bunch of time picking on you for giggles, which doesn't seem all that fair. But more importantly, also not all that interesting.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Advocate wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:20 pm If Philosophy Now was serious about philosophy they'd be drawing regularly from this forum for topics and authors.
HAHAHA.
I think were people on the Forum to actually read and then take seriously anything that appears in the magazine, there might be a tiny bit of scope for the magazine to take the Forum seriously, rather than consider it an embrarrassing mutant sibling.
But right now the contributions to the Forum are rather palid.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:20 pm But right now the contributions to the Forum are rather palid.
There would be significant improvement if you stopped posting.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Sculptor post_id=485162 time=1608157229 user_id=17400]
But right now the contributions to the Forum are rather palid.
[/quote]

Not as palid as my bust of Pallas.
Kenny92

Post by Kenny92 »

I noticed that many people aren't happy with what is happening on the forum, so I decided to express my opinion. What exactly is the problem? Is it the toxicity?

No one likes to waste time on trolls or pointless debates. But isn't arguing the same as a discussion? Isn't discussion the same thing that characterizes a person as a thinker?

Just don't take it all to heart and try it yourself!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Kenny92 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:13 am I noticed that many people aren't happy with what is happening on the forum, so I decided to express my opinion. What exactly is the problem? Is it the toxicity?

No one likes to waste time on trolls or pointless debates. But isn't arguing the same as a discussion? Isn't discussion the same thing that characterizes a person as a thinker?

Most folks are either teachers or critics. This is to be expected after a certain age.

The authentic student is a rare breed, especially after a certain age. This is to be expected, because if an old man or woman doesn't know a thing or two, of what purpose was the road leading to the end?

A method often seen in these parts is a teacher or critic posing as a student, judge the degree of sincerity as you must.

A thinker can hone the fine points of what ossification protects.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Kenny92 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:13 am I noticed that many people aren't happy with what is happening on the forum, so I decided to express my opinion. What exactly is the problem? Is it the toxicity?

This isn't a philosophy forum so there's nothing to argue about, philosophy here died years ago. It's an online mental institue / trash can for schizophrenics and all kinds of other folks who got banned from every other forum, but desperately need an outlet, so they ended up here.

If you have a mild interest in studying the various forms of human insanity, in order to get a better insight into the human mind in general, this place is one of the best.