-

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

-

Post by QuantumT » Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 pm

-
Last edited by QuantumT on Mon May 21, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuantumT

-

Post by QuantumT » Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 pm

-
Last edited by QuantumT on Mon May 21, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Averroes

Re: User warning!

Post by Averroes » Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 am

This is going to be interesting!!

Yes I am a Muslim and I am very happy about it.
Nowhere in that thread you referred to did I mention my faith though. And to vent your exasperation about losing the philosophical debate on that thread, on your own initiative you had sent me a private message which before a court of law would get you into serious trouble if decided to go through with this! Of course to which message I have not responded, and never will! Please do not send me private messages again.

As I said in the thread in question, the subject of which was 'the matrix hypothesis' had already been addressed by Descartes in his book the Meditations. And later his philosophy was commented by nearly all philosophers who came after, up until today itself!!! And the argument I put forward in that thread is from Descartes' now very popular philosophy which culminated in his saying, 'Je pense donc je suis' in French which is translated into English as 'I think therefore I am'. Any philosopher who knows the subject will already understand where I was going with my arguments and questions to you on that thread. By the way, it was just scratching the surface, there was a lot more to be said had you continued the philosophical exchange! Now, you have just embarassed yourself by showing publicly your ignorance about such a classic of philosophy and moreover advertising it here!

Eodnhoj7

Re: User warning!

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 pm
Averroes uses spam postings to suppress ideas that undermines his/her islamic faith.

Example: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24203
I have to chime in on this, I have had discussions with Averroes before (in threads), and he does not push his faith in any manner which I found insulting or oppressive. He was very respectful and enlightened me on a few issues I as unaware of...I leans toward Christianity but in all truth I am getting tired of Christians and have been for a long time.

Averroes presents rational discourses in a much better and logical manner than the majority of "christians" on this site, and from a secular perspective I am tired of this "Islamophobia" because it is irrational and untrue. They do a better job in worshiping God through their practiced virtues than we Christians.

And for the record the mods here have been way more lenient with me, and others, than the other forums I have encountered. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech...if you cannot debate without resorting only to ad-hominums then you are just an intellectual fly and hurt only yourself.

QuantumT

-

Post by QuantumT » Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Nevermind. Forget it.

Averroes

Re-User appreciation.

Post by Averroes » Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm

I have to chime in on this, I have had discussions with Averroes before (in threads), and he does not push his faith in any manner which I found insulting or oppressive. He was very respectful and enlightened me on a few issues I as unaware of...I leans toward Christianity but in all truth I am getting tired of Christians and have been for a long time.

Averroes presents rational discourses in a much better and logical manner than the majority of "christians" on this site, and from a secular perspective I am tired of this "Islamophobia" because it is irrational and untrue. They do a better job in worshiping God through their practiced virtues than we Christians.
Thank you John for these very kind and thoughtful words. You have always been kind and respectful to me in our discussions. I greatly appreciated and benefitted from our exchange too. I remember that your pertinent comments and questions oriented the discussion in a way that was benefitting to both of us. It certainly left a satisfying feeling in my mind too. This is how I believe a philosophical discussion should be. Rare are such opportunities, and highly treasured are they when found. May God, the Almighty guide us all to that which pleases Him and keep us away from that which displeases Him.

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: -

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 pm

I don't think religious dogma has any place on a philosophy site. Religion has nothing to do with philosophy, 'respectful' or not. The whole point of religious indoctrination is to never question or doubt it. I can't think of any 'philosophy of faith'.

Btw, excellent thread title QuantumT :D

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 pm
I don't think religious dogma has any place on a philosophy site. Religion has nothing to do with philosophy, 'respectful' or not. The whole point of religious indoctrination is to never question or doubt it. I can't think of any 'philosophy of faith'.

we take it on faith that the future will resemble the past

-Imp

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm

“A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.” Manly P. Hall

To continually argue a strict secular perspective only is in itself a form of indoctrination as it places a limit to what can and cannot be discussed. Philosophy has no room for these limits as it is the intellectual foundation of all limit from which all forms of reasoning extend regardless of their background as either scientific or a system of belief.

Philosophy is the beginning and end of the human condition as we percieve reality through the knowledge we embrace...or even leave out. A "philosophy of faith" can be taken in dualistic terms as either "theology" or a philosophy of personal will. Either way the act of faith and will can be termed as synonymous in many circumstances as both embrace a means of giving order admidst the darkness of ignorance.

To say we do no exert our will or question things on an act of faith that there is an answer would be hypocritical considering the "self-evidence" or "axioms" we synthesize have in inevitable subjective element that exists in respect to objective truth.

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 pm
-
So much for presenting an argument, which was more of a poorly presented accusation. If you are going to accuse someone of something, at least go through with it or apologize.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm

“A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.” Manly P. Hall

To continually argue a strict secular perspective only is in itself a form of indoctrination as it places a limit to what can and cannot be discussed. Philosophy has no room for these limits as it is the intellectual foundation of all limit from which all forms of reasoning extend regardless of their background as either scientific or a system of belief.

Philosophy is the beginning and end of the human condition as we percieve reality through the knowledge we embrace...or even leave out. A "philosophy of faith" can be taken in dualistic terms as either "theology" or a philosophy of personal will. Either way the act of faith and will can be termed as synonymous in many circumstances as both embrace a means of giving order admidst the darkness of ignorance.

To say we do no exert our will or question things on an act of faith that there is an answer would be hypocritical considering the "self-evidence" or "axioms" we synthesize have in inevitable subjective element that exists in respect to objective truth.
I have to disagree. Religion adds nothing to discussions that involve logic and reason (except perhaps to show how illogical and unreasonable it is). Hall might be right in one respect. Too much 'depth in philosophy (i.e. other people's philosophies)' could well unhinge the mind and drive a person to religiosity.

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:13 am

Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm

I have to disagree. Religion adds nothing to discussions that involve logic and reason (except perhaps to show how illogical and unreasonable it is). Hall might be right in one respect. Too much 'depth in philosophy (i.e. other people's philosophies)' could well unhinge the mind and drive a person to religiosity.
The elements of logic and reason require a form of synthesis where the symbols and concepts which they mediate are literally created by the application of boundaries. This observation of order requires an inherent degree of faith/will (I will use the two interchangeably for simplicity since the act of believing can "will" something into existence in one degree or another) in the respect that the application of boundaries has an artistic element of will or "creativity" too it.

Logic and reason are the observation of order in the respect order is maintained and progressed. However this ability to maintain/progress order requires an inherent synthetic quality where a form is manifested simply for what it is.

In simpler terms if I am going to create a solution, or symbol if one wants to delve into meta-logic, then I am going to have to "pick" or "choose" from a set of problems (or extremes) as to where this synthesis will occur. This act of choice is dependent upon a degree of belief as to where the problem lies as a problem is "self-evident". This self-evidence, or the axiom, has an inherent subjective quality that includes but is not limited to belief.

Even an "absence of belief" is still determined as the limit of a previous set of internal or external beliefs where the belief itself is a form of self-evidence (to rehash the above paragraph).

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 am

Speaking of 'unhinging one's mind'....

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 am

Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 am
You project to much...half of the time you act like an unhinged angry woman...you are the walking argument on why women should not speak. I really don't care if that sounds sexist...your "empowered"....deal with it.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:33 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 am
Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 am
You project to much...half of the time you act like an unhinged angry woman...you are the walking argument on why women should not speak. I really don't care if that sounds sexist...your "empowered"....deal with it.
I love it when people show their true colours. Be as 'sexist' as you like. I'm not here to champion 'wimminhood'.