Welcome to our new forum!

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

Welcome to our new forum!

Post by RickLewis »

Welcome to a place for philosophical debate on pretty much any subject at all, but particularly on topics arising from discussions and articles in the popular philosophy magazine Philosophy Now. Argue in the agora! Fulminate in the forum! Philosophize without a pulpit!

In order to post messages you have to become a member of this forum, but membership is free and you can become a member in about 30 seconds. Just click on the link above that says "Register", and then follow the instructions.

Have fun and be nice to one another. And if you hit any problems, send me a message.

If you would like to know more about Philosophy Now magazine, click below:

http://philosophynow.org
miss lewis

Thank you

Post by miss lewis »

Rick,
Just wanted to say thank you for all you are doing and looking forward to many discussions.
Last edited by miss lewis on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medusasmiles

friendship

Post by medusasmiles »

I am glad that you have a new forum - for some reason I was never able to register on the old one and was always disappointed that I could never join the discussions. :cry:

But as my first posting shows I am finally here and looking forward to sharing my love of philosophy with you all. :D

As a subscriber to Philosophy Now magazine there are plenty of topics to cover.

φιλια
technoterri

Glad to b back in contact

Post by technoterri »

Thanks for your recent email regarding the new forum. I realise now that I must have dropped of the email list as I have not heard from you, or the magazine, over the last umpteen months. Probably my own fault as I have spent most of the last year in Russia getting acquainted with my Russian internet friend, then getting to know her better. On my last visit we were married and now I am trying to find my way through the Russian beaurocracy to enable permanent residency. My good wishes for your continued success :D
RickLewis

Re: Thank you

Post by RickLewis »

miss lewis wrote:Rick,
Just wanted to say thank you for all you are doing and looking forward to many discusions.
Thanks for those kind words, Miss Lewis! :oops:

Actually all the work was done by our webmaster, Bora Dogan, but he hasn't posted here yet.

Welcome to the forum, medusasmiles. I'm sorry the old forum was such a pain - I hadn't realised that it was actually reventing some people from registering at all! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new forum.
technoterri wrote:Thanks for your recent email regarding the new forum. I realise now that I must have dropped of the email list as I have not heard from you, or the magazine, over the last umpteen months. Probably my own fault as I have spent most of the last year in Russia getting acquainted with my Russian internet friend, then getting to know her better. On my last visit we were married and now I am trying to find my way through the Russian beaurocracy to enable permanent residency. My good wishes for your continued success :D
Congratulations on your wedding! That is wonderful. It sounds as if you have had an amazing year, then. Best o' luck for your struggles with the bureaucrats of All the Russias. :D
sally

Post by sally »

Thank you rick!!! I've missed the forum... more than is healthy? :lol:

Hello everyone again. I hope you're all well :D

Sally
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Belated but warm welcome, Sally!

The new forum seems to be working nicely, except thjat we havge a real problem already with spam. As a temporary measure, I'm just changing the settings now so that new users will have to be approved by me before they can post anything. This won't affect all the people already signed up to the forum, and hopefully means I won't find six new spam threads when I log on each day!

Anyway, let's try this and if it doesn't work we'll try something else.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

An unfortunate down-side being that some people (especially technophobes) are automatically turned off from sites that require more than basic registration (I know I have been in the past).

Perhaps the previous hosts have commissioned this spam in order to try and bully you into thinking you'd be better off with them?
Such scams (or racketts) are quite common in relatively lawless areas, of which the internet is certainly one.
mark black

Post by mark black »

IT DOESN'T MATTER
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

What doesn't matter?
bigstu

Re: Thank you

Post by bigstu »

RickLewis wrote:
miss lewis wrote:Rick,
Just wanted to say thank you for all you are doing and looking forward to many discusions.
Thanks for those kind words, Miss Lewis! :oops:

Actually all the work was done by our webmaster, Bora Dogan, but he hasn't posted here yet.

Welcome to the forum, medusasmiles. I'm sorry the old forum was such a pain - I hadn't realised that it was actually reventing some people from registering at all! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new forum.
technoterri wrote:Thanks for your recent email regarding the new forum. I realise now that I must have dropped of the email list as I have not heard from you, or the magazine, over the last umpteen months. Probably my own fault as I have spent most of the last year in Russia getting acquainted with my Russian internet friend, then getting to know her better. On my last visit we were married and now I am trying to find my way through the Russian beaurocracy to enable permanent residency. My good wishes for your continued success :D
Congratulations on your wedding! That is wonderful. It sounds as if you have had an amazing year, then. Best o' luck for your struggles with the bureaucrats of All the Russias. :D
Thanks Rick---It is good and pleasant to find a site.

I would like to know your own views on the power of philosophy?

Why do we come here?
I think whatever you say is gravy. :) cheers Stu
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Psychonaut,

Thank you for your support.

You proved that through truth comes kindness. You demonstrated the bare and simple actuality.

The whole heavens and all creation would collapse, and never again have motion without absolute truth, all things which fall under truth

Unkindness, anger and superstition in the world would empty out if that all one can do in this world is good; this is the highest of all gifts of humanity.

This forum cannot be transformed and transmuted without truth and this is most good.

Barbara
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

And what is good ?

"that which all things aim at"

(Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics, book 1, chapter 1)

We all aim at truth, and therefore truth is good.

Or does someone here aim at a lie ?
bigstu

Post by bigstu »

mark black wrote:IT DOESN'T MATTER
The personal quote just made me smile. :)

Mark's personal quote--my quote is far too inrense for anything more than a quick wink. :) cheers Stu
Last edited by bigstu on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigstu

Post by bigstu »

Lusia Mousky wrote:And what is good ?

"that which all things aim at"

(Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics, book 1, chapter 1)

We all aim at truth, and therefore truth is good.

Or does someone here aim at a lie ?
Truth will out? The conspiracy exposed? Why not?
Why not this and not the other?
It seems to me the argument should be one of conflict? It always has been?
The conflict of 2 philosophies. 2 ways of seeing, one to hold and exploit, one to let go and let go and let go and let go.....:) cheers Stu