Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Nick_A »

Walker
Christians practice the Golden Rule for the view that the practice generates. In time the view that the practice generates will generate spontaneously in the Christian, and you will be a good Christian in the living of daily life, and this spontaneity merges seamlessly with all facets of the world, without conflict although there will be struggle.

You know, like Buddhism, which means that through dialogue we’ve exposed the underlying principle that connects the two. All that’s left is debate over the perfect wording, fame, glory and fortune.
But that isn't Christianity; it is secularism. It isn't wrong but a Christian learns by experience they are incapable of it and trapped in Plato's cave. So the result is that on many secular forums something Kierkegaard called Christendom is argued with all forms of negativity. But the inner human need for meaning is still there so the seeker of truth is compelled to find others willing to admit the human condition as it exists within us.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You left out the best part.
For the sake of discussion and since the term has already been used, let’s call the “Golden Rule” of Christianity, a precept of Christianity. Like, Buddhism has precepts.
You have the floor.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:14 pm The real topic here is if the need for meaning addressed by the great traditions. Is the aim of philosophy, valued or abused in the modern world and on philosophy sites?
Sure, those are the fast balls mentioned.

For those who live their philosophies, there is no need to separate their living being, their "way to be," from discussion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Actually, instead of continuing I think it's a good time to end it here. It's inappropriate for the sub-forum because it distracts from suggestions.

I have nothing else on the topic. Gracias, Nick. In this context, I think the short dialogue serves as an example of appropriate civil discourse.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:59 am Actually, instead of continuing I think it's a good time to end it here. It's inappropriate for the sub-forum because it distracts from suggestions.

I have nothing else on the topic. Gracias, Nick. In this context, I think the short dialogue serves as an example of appropriate civil discourse.
You don't know what to add because the greatest danger to the aim of philosophy has been accepted as the right attitude. But are all the negative expressions of intolerance the right attitude. It may be the right attitude for the wwe wrestling ring of discussing modern philosophy but does it serve the need to become human or to win the battle in the ring?

At this point in my life I would rather support those with the need to become human so look for those with the same aim or the aim of philosophy which seeks anamnesis or remembrance of what has been forgotten. This requires a new attitude for philosophy.
Thomas Merton records being asked to review a biography of Weil (Simone Weil: A Fellowship in Love, Jacques Chabaud, 1964) and was challenged and inspired by her writing. “Her non-conformism and mysticism are essential elements in our time and without her contribution we remain not human.”
Those with the need to become human need the inspiration of those who have escaped Plato's Cave regardless of how they are scorned by popular intolerance.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

One more idea as a suggestion for two possible aims of a philosophy before wrapping it up.

Matthew 6: 24
"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
The same choice exists in philosophy. We choose between truth and defending the appearance of intelligence along with all the negativity that supports appearance over truth. The need for truth and the need for appearance are mutually exclusive goals which can be served by both the respect for and the abuse of philosophy

A person has to decide what they need from philosophy. Do we want the truth of what human nature is or do we want to express the appearance the world will accept?

In the Bible, the Pharisees represent appearance while in philosophy hypocrisy proves the choice of appearance over truth. Anyone interested in what philosophy can do will have to make this choice as to which direction to take: truth or appearance
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 pm One more idea as a suggestion for two possible aims of a philosophy before wrapping it up. .../... Anyone interested in what philosophy can do will have to make this choice as to which direction to take: truth or appearance
Nick, there is much more to philosophy than what you see, and people should be allowed to share it. Your particular beliefs do not represent an ultimate truth or philosophy.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 am
Nick_A wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 pm One more idea as a suggestion for two possible aims of a philosophy before wrapping it up. .../... Anyone interested in what philosophy can do will have to make this choice as to which direction to take: truth or appearance
Nick, there is much more to philosophy than what you see, and people should be allowed to share it. Your particular beliefs do not represent an ultimate truth or philosophy.
It is a simple and obvious choice: dedication to truth vs the glorification of opinions.
What is Philosophy? The term ‘philosophy’ was coined in ancient Greece by the philosopher and mathematician, Pythagoras. 1 Pythagoras (c. 570-490BCE) needed a term for a certain kind of individual, one who prized truth and knowledge above all things. Accordingly, he combined the ancient Greek terms for love, philein and wisdom, sophia to produce philosophos, one who loves wisdom. Philosophy, then, is the love of wisdom. It’s not as though Pythagoras invented philosophy, of course. What he was describing, our love of knowledge, of wisdom, has been with us perhaps since we first began to think. But he did invent a term that has proved useful in referring to this most basic and urgent of human abilities, the pursuit of knowledge. That term is philosophy. While Pythagoras’ focus was on the philosopher, he or she whose life is dominated by the love of wisdom, it is fair to say that all of us are philosophical to one extent or another. We all enjoy the pursuit and acquisition of knowledge. In its most general sense, every instance of learning may count as the satisfaction of this basic desire.2 Indeed, another ancient Greek philosopher, Aristotle (384-322BCE), maintained that the pleasure of knowledge-acquisition is the greatest of human pleasures and makes for the best possible life. If happiness is activity in accordance with virtue, it is reasonable for it to accord with the highest virtue, which will be the virtue of the best thing in us. The best thing in us is reason … and to understand what is fine and divine, by being itself either divine or the most divine element in us.
I've noticed that those dedicated to the experience of wisdom through the initial dedication to truth by the mutual contemplation of what philosophy offers have gone underground and away from public sites. They have found it necessary to avoid the negativity associated with arguing over and condemning opinions. They want to experience the objective benefits of philosophy rather than basking in self importance obtained through denial.

My choice is to find those who value truth over appearance and contribute as I can which I will do.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm It is a simple and obvious choice: dedication to truth vs the glorification of opinions.
You think you know the difference. You want other people to agree with you.

My suggestion for the Suggestion Box is to ban rabid nutjobs like you. I'm guessing neither of us will get our wish. :lol:
Nick_A wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm My choice is to find those who value truth over appearance and contribute as I can which I will do.
If you don't see that here, then go somewhere else.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 pm One more idea as a suggestion for two possible aims of a philosophy before wrapping it up.

Matthew 6: 24
"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
The same choice exists in philosophy. We choose between truth and defending the appearance of intelligence along with all the negativity that supports appearance over truth. The need for truth and the need for appearance are mutually exclusive goals which can be served by both the respect for and the abuse of philosophy

A person has to decide what they need from philosophy. Do we want the truth of what human nature is or do we want to express the appearance the world will accept?

In the Bible, the Pharisees represent appearance while in philosophy hypocrisy proves the choice of appearance over truth. Anyone interested in what philosophy can do will have to make this choice as to which direction to take: truth or appearance
It's perfectly possible to serve two masters.

Over a lifetime people have an average of 12 different jobs, and right now 7% of the population hold down 2 or more jobs simultaneuously.

The church has demonstrated that serving god and money is easy. The Pope has control of one of the biggest fortunes on earth.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 pm I don't know what the magazine's circulation is now, but ten years ago, it was 8,000.

Why can't we get more than a handful of people to post on the board regularly?
Because of the quality of the debate. And we all tend to sink to the LCD.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:42 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 pm I don't know what the magazine's circulation is now, but ten years ago, it was 8,000.

Good point. If more of us ignored the kooks, we could help improve things, probably, although a problem is that the kooks tend to post the most and tend to start the most threads.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:11 pm

Good point. If more of us ignored the kooks, we could help improve things, probably, although a problem is that the kooks tend to post the most and tend to start the most threads.
Here's where a laissez-faire moderation system falls down.

Even if you put a kook on "ignore", what happens is that they continue to stalk you and hit your posts, and you do not notice, until you see the results in someone else's posts. The system even tells you that a kook has responded to your post.
So the "foe" fucntion works in their favour and has no positive effect.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Even if you put a kook on "ignore", what happens is that they continue to stalk you and hit your posts, and you do not notice, until you see the results in someone else's posts. The system even tells you that a kook has responded to your post.
Well, unless they get bored never getting a response. Some of them seem to be looking for interaction. But yeah, definitely for some of them that's not going to work.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Well, unless they get bored never getting a response. Some of them seem to be looking for interaction. But yeah, definitely for some of them that's not going to work.
Skepdick must be lonely he seems to stalk me, and contradict me for the sake of it.