Welcome to our new forum!

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ansiktsburk

Re: Welcome to our new forum!

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:38 pm
-1- wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am I read only one fictionalized historical book about the Vikings, but it had it all. Sixth or eighth? century Vikings, roaming the seas around Europe. Written by Bengttson, (I think), the title: Red Orm (Röde Orm). I read it in Hungarian translation. A wonderful book, comparable only to the "Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts (or Rogers). Both in the same genre, equally exciting, total immersion, full-experience books. The latter, in the colonial days of America, the English fighting the French and the Injuns. A must-read, both books, for older adolescent boys. Just enough testing of the characters for their stamina, strength and resistance, and just enough gore, in both books, to excite but not scare an older child or younger adult.
Sixth is too early.
Britain got the brunt of the earliest of the vikings little pleasure trips.
The most famous of these is the raid on Lindisfarne, though there were sightings in the year before, the date for the raid on St. Cuthberts was Jan 793.
Those priests got what they deserved. All that bloody gold whilst their parishioners went hungry. Stick them like pigs!
Modus operandi for most people at all times. Both the doings of the vikings and the priests.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:31 am
-1- wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am I read only one fictionalized historical book about the Vikings, but it had it all. Sixth or eighth? century Vikings, roaming the seas around Europe. Written by Bengttson, (I think), the title: Red Orm (Röde Orm). I read it in Hungarian translation. A wonderful book, comparable only to the "Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts (or Rogers). Both in the same genre, equally exciting, total immersion, full-experience books. The latter, in the colonial days of America, the English fighting the French and the Injuns. A must-read, both books, for older adolescent boys. Just enough testing of the characters for their stamina, strength and resistance, and just enough gore, in both books, to excite but not scare an older child or younger adult.
Sixth is too early.
The most famous of these is the raid on Lindisfarne, though there were sightings in the year before, the date for the raid on St. Cuthberts was Jan 793.
Those priests got what they deserved. All that bloody gold whilst their parishioners went hungry. Stick them like pigs!
Modus operandi for most people at all times. Both the doings of the vikings and the priests.
I think that MOs do vary. The appearance of the Vikings was quite a sea change - excuse the pun. Saxon Britain was fairly peaceful and settled, since the kingdoms had reached accord about territorial claims.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:48 am
Sixth is too early.
I think that MOs do vary. The appearance of the Vikings was quite a sea change - excuse the pun. Saxon Britain was fairly peaceful and settled, since the kingdoms had reached accord about territorial claims.
Victorian english...
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:48 am
Victorian english...
What is?
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

_
There was a previous PN forum?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

MagsJ wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:53 pm _
There was a previous PN forum?
Yes, there was. It looked quite similar to this one as it used similar software, but was hosted on a free forum hosting site. That was a long time ago, now.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

RickLewis wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:02 pm
MagsJ wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:53 pm There was a previous PN forum?
Yes, there was. It looked quite similar to this one as it used similar software, but was hosted on a free forum hosting site. That was a long time ago, now.
Thanks @RickLewis.. I’m more familiar with Philosophy Now magazine, and may have bought a magazine or two, back in the day.

I’m enjoying the site thus far.. it’s a lot less brawlish than it was a few years ago, when I first signed up but did not stay. 👌🏽
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

i wonder why they changed it?? maybe just old news
kirksutton23

Post by kirksutton23 »

There is a regrettable drawback in that some users (particularly technophobes) are instinctively turned off by websites that require more than simple registration (I know I have been in the past).