Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Terrapin Station »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Here's where a laissez-faire moderation system falls down.

Even if you put a kook on "ignore", what happens is that they continue to stalk you and hit your posts, and you do not notice, until you see the results in someone else's posts. The system even tells you that a kook has responded to your post.
So the "foe" fucntion works in their favour and has no positive effect.
Well, unless they get bored never getting a response. Some of them seem to be looking for interaction. But yeah, definitely for some of them that's not going to work.
Skepdick must be lonely he seems to stalk me, and contradict me for the sake of it.
Yeah, I finally put him back on ignore, along with Veritas and a couple others it's pointless to interact with, but I suspect Skepdick will still keep commenting on posts of mine for awhile.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 pm Skepdick must be lonely he seems to stalk me, and contradict me for the sake of it.
Look at this retard lacking complete sense of self-awareness.

I am not contradicting you. You contradict yourself - I am just pointing it out.
You've chosen your tribe (Philosophy). You've chosen your laws (non-contradiction).

So when I point out that you are breaking the very rules you claim to subscribe to you get mad. Why?

If you don't like your circumstances - change your laws or change your tribe.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:13 am Yeah, I finally put him back on ignore, along with Veritas and a couple others it's pointless to interact with, but I suspect Skepdick will still keep commenting on posts of mine for awhile.
You guessed right, alright. You accuse me of being "pointless to interact with", when I accuse all Philosophers of the same.

What's the point of Philosophy?
Does Philosophy obtain?

For a method/discipline that seems to want to shit on everybody and everything it sure lacks reflection.

You want a suggestion for the suggestion box? Reframe Philosophy to something other than sterile and formulaic language games.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:13 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 pm
Well, unless they get bored never getting a response. Some of them seem to be looking for interaction. But yeah, definitely for some of them that's not going to work.
Skepdick must be lonely he seems to stalk me, and contradict me for the sake of it.
Yeah, I finally put him back on ignore, along with Veritas and a couple others it's pointless to interact with, but I suspect Skepdick will still keep commenting on posts of mine for awhile.
Indeed.
QED... his attempts to involve us on this page.
He must be so lonely to stalk us in this way.
What he ought to learn is that if he wants a conversation he as to learn to play nicely.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:17 pm QED... his attempts to involve us on this page.
He must be so lonely to stalk us in this way.
What he ought to learn is that if he wants a conversation he as to learn to play nicely.
[In a David Attenborough voice]

Observe the wild animals known as "Philosophers". Study them. Watch them feign self-importance.

Observe it strategise. Observe its pitiful attempt to bargain with social status - its power to make others part of the tribe. A rite of passage!
Watch them attempt reverse psychology as they struggle to reconcile their own insignificance.

But who would want to be part of an in-group of imbeciles? Who would even want to converse with a Philosopher and why?

What they ought to learn is that if they want any respect they gotta come down from their ivory towers.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:48 pm You don't know what to add ...
Now you're just being silly.

:D
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 pm If the need for the depths of philosophy were known, it would be respected in the same way as the sangha.
Perhaps. Here's the other side of the coin, in unrhyming couplets (exceptin' for those middle 3.)

Philosophy is too broad to allow for a sangha.
The physics just don’t work.

PN is more of a battlefield.
The style is the Socratic method of asking leading questions.
This is why attorneys adopt their version of the Socratic method.

You just wised up and finally recognized the reality.
Whereas, I saw it immediately.

For example, the posting that begins with “f.”
viewtopic.php?p=505985#p505985

Be well, Nick_A. I suspect the covid response hit you hard.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

It isn't matter of covid Walker but the good sense in graduating from battlefield you've described into understanding the human condition for what it is. Read how Plato describes the "Ship of Fools" from book V1 of the republic
Imagine then a fleet or a ship in which there is a captain who is taller and stronger than any of the crew, but he is a little deaf and has a similar infirmity in sight, and his knowledge of navigation is not much better. The sailors are quarreling with one another about the steering -- every one is of opinion that he has a right to steer, though he has never learned the art of navigation and cannot tell who taught him or when he learned, and will further assert that it cannot be taught, and they are ready to cut in pieces any one who says the contrary.

They throng about the captain, begging and praying him to commit the helm to them; and if at any time they do not prevail, but others are preferred to them, they kill the others or throw them overboard, and having first chained up the noble captain's senses with drink or some narcotic drug, they mutiny and take possession of the ship and make free with the stores; thus, eating and drinking, they proceed on their voyage in such a manner as might be expected of them. Him who is their partisan and cleverly kaids them in their plot for getting the ship out of the captain's hands into their own whether by force or persuasion, they compliment with the name of sailor, pilot, able seaman, and abuse the other sort of man, whom they call a good-for-nothing; but that the true pilot must pay attention to the year and seasons and sky and stars and winds, and whatever else belongs to his art, if he intends to be really qualified for the command of a ship, and that he must and will be the steerer, whether other people like or not-the possibility of this union of authority with the steerer's art has never seriously entered into their thoughts or been made part of their calling.

Now in vessels which are in a state of mutiny and by sailors who are mutineers, how will the true pilot be regarded? Will he not be called by them a prater, a star-gazer, a good-for-nothing?
Once a person realizes they re on the Ship of Fools and what is lost by it, it is natural then to desire to leave the ship. But how? A person must find the North Star in themselves and use it to follow the vertical conscious path to freedom from this prison. They must acquire the ability to put the great ideas into a conscious perspective. They must do it in a way that doesn't invite the mutineers to throw him overboard.
SOCRATES: I see, my dear Theaetetus, that Theodorus had a true insight into your nature when he said that you were a philosopher; for wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder. (Plato, Theaetetus 155c-d, tr. Jowett; "wonder" in Aristotle.)
When a person begins to verify they are in Plato's cave It leads to the conclusion as Socrates did that "I Know Nothing." This is the beginning of wisdom. People argue about what they know in modern philosophy but the purpose of philosophy is to allow person to experience what they don't know which is one way to produce the feeling of wonder.

“To conquer oneself is the best and noblest victory; to be vanquished by one's own nature is the worst and most ignoble defeat.” ~ Plato

A philosopher king by definition will have conquered himself. But if a person is honest with themselves, they experience that the self conquers them and they are prisoners in Plato's cave fighting over which way the ship of fools should go.

So I look for those who have accepted the human condition we all live with and found the north star in themselves giving them the inner vertical direction which leads to human freedom. I know there must be other students of philosophy who appreciate the objective value of philosophy and don't consider it a battlefield but the mutual potential to experience what we objectively are; the first step to freedom.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Thank you for thoughtful reply. Just skimmed it, will read it later.

My reference to covid was in relation to brief mention you once made about your work. It was just an aside, not really part of the rest.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_ wrote:A person must find the North Star in themselves and use it to follow the vertical conscious path to freedom from this prison. They must acquire the ability to put the great ideas into a conscious perspective. They must do it in a way that doesn't invite the mutineers to throw him overboard.
I like this, I see many implications resonating in the world. It’s so good, I stopped reading there for now. No one’s in a hurry.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:35 am
When a person begins to verify they are in Plato's cave It leads to the conclusion as Socrates did that "I Know Nothing." This is the beginning of wisdom. People argue about what they know in modern philosophy but the purpose of philosophy is to allow person to experience what they don't know which is one way to produce the feeling of wonder.
The North Star does not move, does not change, guides the course via knowing rather than not knowing, therefore it is the same for all, whether or not perceived as such.

North Star light. Sun light. Transmogrification of sunlight into food/life energy. Christ turning into light. Philosophy should consider light.
... the purpose of philosophy is to allow person to experience what they don't know ...
This is only true if thinking about thoughts, which can be accomplished without moving a muscle, is classified as “experience.” Actual experience which requires bodily movement can also be the subject of thought.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Here is a suggestion regarding philosophical arguments:

A strong argument has a true premise and no fallacies when reaching a conclusion. A weak argument has a questionable premise and/or some fallacies.

The strong argument reaches a valid conclusion. The weak argument doesn’t.

All arguments can be long winded by restating points with different wording and using longer citations with unproven “facts”. This misleads the readers into thinking that the argument is more intelligent than it actually is.

Also, in a debate it is common practice to misrepresent the opponent’s argument or to attack the opponent’s character. This is nasty.

Let's agree to make strong arguments.

As an example, space-time has a weak argument.
henry quirk

A HEADS UP...

Post by henry quirk »

crtkecnkl659 might be a spambot/malware
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Roger that, Henry.

We got eyes on em.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

jayjacobus wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 pm Here is a suggestion regarding philosophical arguments:

A strong argument has a true premise and no fallacies when reaching a conclusion. A weak argument has a questionable premise and/or some fallacies.

The strong argument reaches a valid conclusion. The weak argument doesn’t.

All arguments can be long winded by restating points with different wording and using longer citations with unproven “facts”. This misleads the readers into thinking that the argument is more intelligent than it actually is.

Also, in a debate it is common practice to misrepresent the opponent’s argument or to attack the opponent’s character. This is nasty.

Let's agree to make strong arguments.

As an example, space-time has a weak argument.
What about an argument that still leaves some doubt, but the conclusion must be beyond a reasonable doubt, hence still subjective.