Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by -1- » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 am

RickLewis wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 pm
I think that's a pretty good idea! We already do Philosophy Now t-shirts, why not mugs as well?
Then, after that, you could print T-s for sale that say "I've been Mugged by Philosophy Now." Available only to those who had purchased the Hemlock mug.

Nick_A
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Nick_A » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 am

RickLewis wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 pm
Nick_A wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 am
Have you considered marketing the official Philosophy Now Hemlock Mugs? Marketing would be directed at all those who haven't sold out to the Great Beast and keep Socrates' ideas alive regardless of how they are condemned by the modern secular educated.

Of course these mugs wouldn't really be used for hemlock but since a wise man invented beer, it is a good substitute which a person could use to demonstrate their wisdom
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Unknown
I think that's a pretty good idea! We already do Philosophy Now t-shirts, why not mugs as well?
I can see it now. The bartender at a local British pub will hold up a Hemlock mug and proudly announce: "Defend Socrates, fill it up." Hell, I'll even join the toast.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10790
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am

Nick_A wrote:
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Unknown
It was problem a woman as the first patron of brewing was a goddess.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am

RickLewis wrote:
Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:00 pm
This thread is for suggestions about the organisation and management of the Philosophy Now Forum.

(This thread is not for suggestions about Philosophy Now magazine - there is a separate thread for those here; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7 )
A reminder of the purpose of this thread.
Or has it changed to merchandising, the sale of mugs - really :roll:

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:46 pm
Lacewing wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: I'm not sure you get my idea exactly.

All I am saying is, that if you are the one to start a thread - and ONLY when this is the case, you get to say who is not allowed to post in it.
That's what I thought you said... and that's what I thought I was repeating.
Lacewing wrote:I like your suggestion about a thread author being able to veto certain people from one's own thread
Hobbes' Choice wrote:They would be perfectly free to start their own threads - even ones designed to re-rail yours, and they could ban you from that.
Sure.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:So I do not see where any "honour system" would need apply.
Well, how do you make them honor what you say? You can say they are not allowed to post... but how is that enforced? That's why I said they'd have to honor it, and they might not be honorable.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:This capability would allow self moderation, without any actual censorship.

it would encourage good thread writing and politeness on the part of the thread owner (to keep people in), and on the part of the contributor (to stay on a thread they like).
If the owner banned capriciously then they would end up with an empty thread. So the mechanism would be self balancing.
I agree.
How would it work - yes that's the difficulty. It would involve some sort of re-programming to the site. I do not think it would be difficult, as I am sure that some other Forums have similar facilities.
But I doubt Rick would want to pay half a day's fee for a tweak to the site.

But thanks for supporting the idea.

This forum is quite rightly open to all.
However, there is sometimes, nearly always, a problem maintaining a thread without personal attacks or irrelevant material. That might, of course, be fun and entertaining - a balance to be kept between what is helpful/harmful.

If the thread starter has to take responsibility, as per guidelines, then some control ( more efficient than reporting function ) should be available so as to limit personal attacks and irrelevant posts by those with bad intent.
Especially those with whom the author has had 'previous' and who continues to be problematic.
However, there seems no mechanism for this. A real pity - that some can't control their obsessive urges/ desire to disrupt just for the sake of it. Most, however, have a kind of unspoken agreement - to agree to disagree or just stay out of threads by posters they find objectionable, for whatever reason.

A good idea by Hobbes, who seems to have gone AWOL ?

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10790
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

That's because it's a bad idea as it would just mean thread owners only allowing those who agree with them into the discussion. The forum has a perfectly respectable idea for thread moderation, complain to the mods about posts you object to and allow them to adjudicate. Unfortunately most don't appear to want do the work and many just post the OP and vanish from the conversation.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm
That's because it's a bad idea as it would just mean thread owners only allowing those who agree with them into the discussion. The forum has a perfectly respectable idea for thread moderation, complain to the mods about posts you object to and allow them to adjudicate. Unfortunately most don't appear to want do the work and many just post the OP and vanish from the conversation.
Yes, that is a concern. Indeed an 'only friends allowed' scenario is not in keeping with the spirit of philosophy.
Clearly, the criteria would not be about discouraging philosophical objections or disagreements.
The thread starter would have to provide sufficient reasons with evidence.
Again, this might not be appropriate - it shuts out the possibility of a change in the previously disruptive behaviour of a poster.
Even if there was the mechanism, which seems unlikely. So much for that.

Another nod of agreement re the ease with which some start threads without any follow through. Some forums have criteria for an initial post, so that it has some philosophical substance to it.
Also, a pre-evaluation of posts by new posters.
Again, all this would add to the mods workload. It is probably easier for them to deal with reports.
For some reason, some see any reporting as being a sign of weakness in keeping with cowardly tale telling behaviour. There have been several in-thread complaints which are never seen by the mods. And so no action is taken. Other than some who decide to leave and others don't even begin...

Ah well, c'est la vie in the English pub.
In reality, the beer would be poured over someone's head.
Or worse...
Cheers 8)

Averroes
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Averroes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:41 pm
When this forum updates itself, will there be a way in which mathematical equations can be better presented so that they can be better argued and discussed? I have seen some physics forums have this ability, and it may give some better consistency and clarity in the mathematics section, when arguing such subjects.

This is a rather easy fix in the code of the software, but it requires modifying the source code of the software. One line of code is just what is needed to accomplish that! It requires the addition of a link to an online Mathjax library, but that should not be done if one does not know what one is doing, otherwise it might damage the site.

For serious discussions on logic, mathematics and physics, this prove to be a great time saver than having to go to Word or the internet each time to look for and copy/paste the special symbols. And also, it is more aesthetically pleasing when this feature is used.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:48 am

Averroes wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:11 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:41 pm
When this forum updates itself, will there be a way in which mathematical equations can be better presented so that they can be better argued and discussed? I have seen some physics forums have this ability, and it may give some better consistency and clarity in the mathematics section, when arguing such subjects.

This is a rather easy fix in the code of the software, but it requires modifying the source code of the software. One line of code is just what is needed to accomplish that! It requires the addition of a link to an online Mathjax library, but that should not be done if one does not know what one is doing, otherwise it might damage the site.

For serious discussions on logic, mathematics and physics, this prove to be a great time saver than having to go to Word or the internet each time to look for and copy/paste the special symbols. And also, it is more aesthetically pleasing when this feature is used.
Yeah...umm...I am just stupid when it comes to anything relative to programming.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest