Search found 4781 matches

by Belinda
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:25 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Putting ''Immanuel Can'' In The Religious Spotlight Part 2
Replies: 522
Views: 7225

Re: Putting ''Immanuel Can'' In The Religious Spotlight Part 2

Immanuel Can wrote: But it gets worse for the Atheist. For the Atheist has now to prove the non-existence of Something, whereas the Theist has only to show evidence that counts for the existence of Something. But whereas the existence of a thing is relatively easy to demonstrate, the non-existence i...
by Belinda
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:02 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].
Replies: 350
Views: 3869

Re: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].

Sculptor complained to Veritas Aequitas:
Point is you keep accusing my views as opinion
Within a democratic discussion all opinions are hypotheses, or heuristic devices. That some opinions seem less probable does not mean they are not worth considering.
by Belinda
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:54 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 2022
Views: 65447

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Sculptor wrote: Your attribution that morals are natural is false. Morals are cultural. But nature is all that is the case except for supernature which is not here under discussion. Since nature is all that is the case then human cultures are natural. If I remember you were rebutting Veritas Aequita...
by Belinda
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 5084
Views: 296864

Re: What could make morality objective?

I'm not a positivist. I think aesthetic and moral assertions can have powerful and important meanings. Are you sure about the meanings of the words 'certainty', 'relativism', 'ambiguity' and 'infinity'? If so - how? Doubt exists only against a background of certainty. The expression 'certain knowle...
by Belinda
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 5084
Views: 296864

Re: What could make morality objective?

I don't need all such explanations - if such an idea makes sense. I just need one, in order to boil the egg. That we can always say more does not mean we can never say enough. The existence of what are we denying? I think what you, Peter, deny what I assert: uncertainty, relativism,ambiguity, and i...
by Belinda
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 5084
Views: 296864

Re: What could make morality objective?

To ask someone to explain how they use the word explain is to know how to use the word explain. How else can the question be asked? That explanations come to an end is why we can ask for explanations. How do you recognise the end of all explanations of how to boil an egg? I don't need all such expl...
by Belinda
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:43 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 5084
Views: 296864

Re: What could make morality objective?

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:49 am To ask someone to explain how they use the word explain is to know how to use the word explain. How else can the question be asked?

That explanations come to an end is why we can ask for explanations.

How do you recognise the end of all explanations of how to boil an egg?
by Belinda
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:15 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].
Replies: 350
Views: 3869

Re: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].

Thank you. Please tell me the names of our two most successful scientific theories just so I know. Quantum Field Theory (small scale) and General Relativity (large scale). The pursuit towards unifying them and resolving their contradictory nature is Quantum gravity The trouble with quantization is ...
by Belinda
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:16 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].
Replies: 350
Views: 3869

Re: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Obviously there is a difference in confidence level of say truth claims of 'human nature,' natural selection, or movements of heavenly bodies were presented from the Scientific FSK in comparison to those from the Catholic Church on the above subjects. Whilst whatever claims f...
by Belinda
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:04 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].
Replies: 350
Views: 3869

Re: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].

Regarding 'is-ness' and continuum of existence, Max Planck said subatomic energies were divided into quanta. Why would time, space, and force not be divided into quanta? Quantization is the general strategy employed in Quantum physics. It works until it doesn't. Gravity cannot be quantized which le...
by Belinda
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:02 pm
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: solving epistemology
Replies: 21
Views: 599

Re: solving epistemology

Advocate wrote:
The purpose of all knowledge is to produce certainty.
But anyone who lacks the ability to doubt will act impulsively.
by Belinda
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:53 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].
Replies: 350
Views: 3869

Re: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].

Regarding 'is-ness' and continuum of existence, Max Planck said subatomic energies were divided into quanta. Why would time, space, and force not be divided into quanta?
by Belinda
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].
Replies: 350
Views: 3869

Re: There is no 'Matter of Fact' [Analytic].

It is very hard to say what "human nature" is. It's very hard to say what anything IS. Because the entire notion of "is-ness" is Philosophical horseshit. From the 1st person perspective the question is: What am I, really? From the 3rd person perspective the question is: What are you, really? Both o...
by Belinda
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:31 am
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: The meaning of emergence
Replies: 84
Views: 4644

Re: The meaning of emergence

Probably the easiest way to describe third force is the example of the seesaw. Imagine two kids plying on a seesaw. The subject or active force is the kid pushing down. Then they switch. The kid who was active force is now the passive force and the other pushing down becomes active force. The third...
by Belinda
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:19 am
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: the limits of fascism
Replies: 796
Views: 11311

Re: the limits of fascism

Do you think it is an insult to ask you if you have bias towards anti-intellectualism? I actually think it's very funny. If you knew me at all, you'd know just how funny it is. But no, I don't find it insulting...just, maybe, a bit overconfident as a diagnosis. On the other hand, what would you say...