Search found 830 matches

by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 pm
Forum: Gender Philosophy
Topic: Sexual Dimorphism
Replies: 16
Views: 5694

Re: Sexual Dimorphism

Kayla wrote:
Melchior wrote:But I disagree. Almost everything written by women stinks.
many guys' misogyny goes away once they get a girlfriend

with others, the misogyny gets worse

in this case, the poster is too young to tell which it will be
Not quite...

http://youtu.be/eCss0kZXeyE
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

My point is that a native speaker of English will have a far more perfect grasp of the meaning of 'spirit' (an English word) than a non-native. When I tell you that 'phenomenology of spirit' is meaningless gibberish (because English speakers don't use 'spirit' that way), you can take that to the ba...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

Doesn't really seem to reflect my own experience of my own country and the discipline of philosophy there that has deep bonds with science. And neither in the states, where you have courses like these that I follow and view: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3F6BC200B2930084 But traditionally...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 5:52 pm
Forum: Gender Philosophy
Topic: Marriage
Replies: 51
Views: 12143

Re: Marriage

Kayla wrote:
Melchior wrote:Who says women are 'oppressed'. Feminism is just Marxism with the word 'class' marked out and the word 'sex' substituted.
are you sure you know what marxism even is?
Feminism is BS. Are you familiar with Monty Python? With the fish license sketch?

http://youtu.be/pnq96W9jtuw
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 5:13 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

Why would you think he is garbage? You don't like the idea of the master-slave dialectic? His giant work on logic or the likelihood, as Michel Foucault has said, that "contemporary philosophers may be doomed to find Hegel waiting patiently at the end of whatever road we travel"? Hegel was a real gi...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 4:06 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

The Voice of Time wrote:Nietzsche is a great philosopher, but surrounded by a huge club of Hegelians. The evidence speaks against you, it's not sufficient for you to say just "I disagree", it does not matter if you disagree, because you have no grounds to disagree on.

Hegel is garbage, not even worth discussing.
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 3:57 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

Now you are being childish and entirely subjective. Hegel is one of the most influential philosophers in the history of philosophy. Nobody ever showed up to Schopenhauer's lectures even, and reading his books and taking them seriously is dangerous for the human psyche because his ideas are destruct...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

The Voice of Time wrote:I know, that said Schopenhauer is not the kind of philosopher you take very seriously. He's a bit of an underdog in the history of philosophy in my opinion.
Maybe you don't, but you should. Hegel is nothing, not even worth dismissing.
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 2:32 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

When I tell you that 'phenomenology of spirit' is meaningless gibberish (because English speakers don't use 'spirit' that way), you can take that to the bank. But Hegel does! And philosophers, as I told you, play around with words much more that ordinary people. You can't expect a philosopher to us...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 pm
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

Repeat after me; the native speaker is always right. Always . It really depends on what you mean as 'right'. Language is fluid and changing and in one respect English is simply the language spoken by the English at any given time, hence English English speakers are always right, but given the range...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 3:50 am
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

I'm 21, and are you now gonna tell me that your age equals that your mouth flows with truth? Because then you are seriously committing the appeal to authority fallacy, heavily, again. No, I am merely stating that I know more than you on the topics under discussion, and probably many other things. T...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 3:31 am
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

The mistake you make there is a common one. The fallacy of 'appeal to authority' is when the 'authority' is not an authority on the topic at hand. It would be like asking an authority on Plato for an opinion about Audi automobile engines. Now you're just throwing garbage to defend yourself, I don't...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 3:07 am
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

Translating Geist as 'spirit' is almost always wrong outside of religious contexts Hegel refers frequently to God and the spirit of God in the book. But that is not the context we are discussing here. or certain other contexts where 'spirit' is used metaphorically, such as 'team spirit' or 'spirit ...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 am
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

I have written extensively on translation and have a degree in philosophy. In short, I am more qualified than you to discuss this issue. Then you should know that you are acting out a fallacy known as "appeal to authority". The mistake you make there is a common one. The fallacy of 'appeal to autho...
by Melchior
Thu May 01, 2014 2:56 am
Forum: Book Club
Topic: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ever
Replies: 44
Views: 8144

Re: Greatest Explanation of "The Phenomenology of Spirit" ev

Repeat after me; the native speaker is always right. Now you're just being an obnoxious sarcastic asshole. "Remember the first law of linguistics: the native speaker is always right." http://www.angelfire.com/in/turkey/dil01.html Translating Geist as 'spirit' is almost always wrong outside of relig...