Search found 5938 matches

by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

Nick_A wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:40 am
Obviously not. The World would not hate your Christianity as it does Christianity
Heh. :)

Look on this website, Nick. See who catches more flak than a Christian.
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:21 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

I'm sorry if you find my views disturbing. Not at all. Don't worry. I find what Collectivism has done disturbing. But having a discussion is never a problem. In fact, one of its chief advantages is that it possibly could give a few individuals at least a twinge of conscience before they just jump i...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

I have already justify how to ground a secular moral imperative or maxim, i.e. No human being shall kill another human being. So then...this is your logic: There is no God, (Premise 1, Atheism, by definition) Conclusion: Therefore, no human being shall kill another human being. (exact restatement o...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:28 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

You defined athe ism as confined to Nietzsche, Freud, Darwin, Hume...et al. on a blanket basis. I did not do this. But is it your view that they do not qualify as having any expertise in what it means to be an Atheist? It makes me wonder why so many Atheists are so fond of quoting them. Take any fo...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

I do not agree that the, "attractiveness," is itself sinful. Well, could I test that? Do you think that when a gambler is attracted to the table, or an alcoholic to the bottle, that's good? Or when a pedophile is attracted to children, is that neutral? I suspect you'd say not. I think there is some...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:19 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

Nothing cutsey pooh here. It is getting down to the basics of what Christianity is. The efforts of the Christ together with the energy of the Spirit makes it possible for Man to defeat death by allowing the unreal in us to die That's not my Christianity, Nick. It might be Weilism. It might be just ...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:16 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

According to who? According not to a "who," but to a "what": Atheism. Ah... so you're side-stepping responsibility by pretending that you have nothing to do with the definitions you create and believe. I'm bored with these efforts at misunderstanding, Lace. You're working WAY too hard at that. And ...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:13 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

I must admit, you make a powerful argument against collectivism, and I'll bet that you could be just as convincing in your argument against individualism. I could make some points against individualism. Anybody could. But when it comes to a comparison, the lesser of two evils is individualism. At l...
by Immanuel Can
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

Lacewing wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 pm
Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm
So that we can all see what Atheism does or does not rationalize. That's all.
According to who?
According not to a "who," but to a "what": Atheism.
by Immanuel Can
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

Lacewing wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm
Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 pm
I am talking only about what Atheism will rationalize
So that you can weigh theists and atheists. Why else would you be doing it?
No.

So that we can all see what Atheism does or does not rationalize. That's all.
by Immanuel Can
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

We can only know one thing about God - that he is what we are not. Our wretchedness alone is an image of this. The more we contemplate it, the more we contemplate him. Simone Weil Yeah, see, Nick...I don't think this is remotely true. I think it's not just a wild, wild overstatement, it's also obvi...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

I.C., this weighing of theists and atheists... Nope. I don't do that. I say again: I am NOT talking about what Athei sts and The ists happen to do, here. I am talking only about what Athe ism will rationalize, and what the "great Atheists," like Nietzsche, Hume, Darwin or Rand, say about what Athe ...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:51 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

Is "experience," then, your litmus test for truth? Or was it something else? Yes experience of a certain quality. Okay, thank you. "We have to get rid of emotions....in order to reach.....feeling." Feelings are soul knowledge while emotions are subjective expressions of our personality. Hmmm. No, I...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: EVIL!!!!!!!!
Replies: 177
Views: 1428

Re: EVIL!!!!!!!!

... What I'm saying is this: there are powerful ways of telling the story that deny the very fundamentals you are trying to use in order to affirm a secular ethic. So your project is troubled -- but not by religionists. It's troubled by the avowed Atheists (meaning Nietzsche, Rand, Darwin, et al), ...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:30 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Individualism vs. Collectivism
Replies: 262
Views: 2320

Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism

Hi again IC. It is refreshing to discuss something with someone who actually reads what is written and understands it. I feel the same. I'm quite enjoying the conversation. Having someone with some background and some clear thinking really helps. One doesn't have to explain every detail, and can sp...