Search found 122 matches

by Resha Caner
Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:33 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Jesus?
Replies: 101
Views: 21176

Re: Jesus?

Jesus was a peasant and peasants didn't write. This is the "common man" fallacy ... assuming that because most people of a particular class behaved in a certain way, that all people in that class must behave the same way. St. Patrick was a slave. Slaves don't write, and yet Saint Patrick wrote. St....
by Resha Caner
Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: Does The World Need The U.S.?
Replies: 18
Views: 5601

Re: Does The World Need The U.S.?

Arising_uk wrote:So a fair amount of chaos I suspect but then things would settle down ...
I'd agree with this. There would be a lot of pain and chaos in the short term, but in the long run nothing would really change. I don't see any philosophical reason why the world needs the U.S.
by Resha Caner
Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Is becoming like God good or evil?
Replies: 81
Views: 17038

Re: Is becoming like God good or evil?

Greatest I am wrote:If you are correct, then, in the myth, who wrote the tree of knowledge of good and evil?
The way you phrased your question hints that there may be some misunderstandings here, but with that said, the answer would be that God created the tree. Why do you ask?
by Resha Caner
Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:00 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Scientific Facts In The Quran
Replies: 293
Views: 51175

Re: Scientific Facts In The Quran

chaz wyman wrote:I've got a Masters in History
I've got a BA in History. I hope to go on eventually, but it's been delayed for the time being.
by Resha Caner
Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:23 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Scientific Facts In The Quran
Replies: 293
Views: 51175

Re: Scientific Facts In The Quran

ForgedinHell wrote:Although historians routinely claim there was an historical Jesus, the problem for them is that when they are asked to produce evidence, they don't have any.
So you are trained in historical method?
by Resha Caner
Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Is becoming like God good or evil?
Replies: 81
Views: 17038

Re: Is becoming like God good or evil?

If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge Here is the key statement that you made. You are assuming that being perfect means being like God, and further than it means a knowledge of good and evil. Such is ...
by Resha Caner
Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:35 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Do I owe you?
Replies: 9
Views: 2832

Re: Do I owe you?

tbieter wrote:no
Then maybe you need to explain to me what justice is.
by Resha Caner
Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Do I owe you?
Replies: 9
Views: 2832

Re: Do I owe you?

tbieter wrote:NO
Then are you asking that I promise to support you in correcting future wrongs against your person?
by Resha Caner
Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:49 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Do I owe you?
Replies: 9
Views: 2832

Re: Do I owe you?

tbieter wrote:Justice
Have you been wronged?
by Resha Caner
Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:25 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Do I owe you?
Replies: 9
Views: 2832

Re: Do I owe you?

tbieter wrote:Yes
What do I owe you?
by Resha Caner
Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Do I owe you?
Replies: 9
Views: 2832

Do I owe you?

Do I owe you?
by Resha Caner
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 pm
Forum: About the Magazine
Topic: Issue 90 - Plato
Replies: 5
Views: 5160

Re: Issue 90 - Plato

RickLewis wrote:We've even had issues on Freud and Darwin, and they weren't even philosophers, strictly speaking!
Cool. If arm-twisting is effective, I'd suggest considering Popper or Kuhn.
by Resha Caner
Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm
Forum: About the Magazine
Topic: Issue 90 - Plato
Replies: 5
Views: 5160

Re: Issue 90 - Plato

I'm relatively new myself. So, is it just Plato you've ignored all these years, or is it rare in general to focus on a specific person?
by Resha Caner
Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: The Big Words
Replies: 15
Views: 3479

Re: The Big Words

What don't you understand about it? I understand your argument just fine. Never said I didn't. This is the doctrine of Calvin. And what binds me to the positions of Calvin? Or any of the other proclamations you have made? This is the part you seem to miss. There are many views on the nature of God'...
by Resha Caner
Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: The Big Words
Replies: 15
Views: 3479

Re: The Big Words

God is Love is close enough to omni-benevolent ... As for Universal Salvation the bible says in some places all that is needed is faith for salvation, in others there are particular rules to follow. But were I to list all the contradictions I'd be here for a very long time. Free will denies omnisci...