Search found 2523 matches

by Ginkgo
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:59 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Immanuel Can wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 am
Ginkgo wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 am
Objective morality is equally a problem inherent to theism.
Why do you suppose so?
Because there isn't a theory of God and/or morality that is not subject to criticism.
by Ginkgo
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Immanuel Can wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm not arguing against objective morality, actually. The impossibility of objective morality is a problem inherent to Atheism. Atheism's not true.
Objective morality is equally a problem inherent to theism.
by Ginkgo
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:23 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Quote
And my question is: Why do you think slavery is morally wrong, when it's endorsed and never condemned in the Bible? Please answer that question.

Yes, please answer that question. Where in the scriptures does it say that slavery is morally wrong? How do you know God condemns slavery?
by Ginkgo
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:25 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Immanuel Can wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:28 pm
Dubious wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:07 pm
Without god there’s a more sophisticated morality in place...
Describe it. Who creates it, how do we know it's "right," and why are we morally obligated to it?
Uwot provided the answer to your questions, but for some reason you ignore his posts.
by Ginkgo
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:21 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Immanuel Can wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:45 am
Ginkgo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:53 am
consensus among philosophers is that the God hypothesis in relation to morality fails.
You might really be surprised about that.
I doubt it. There is no hypothesis in relation to God and/or morality that's not subject to criticism.
by Ginkgo
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:53 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Of course there is morality without God. For example, Kantian ethics demonstrates that morality can be universalized, therefore it is an objective moral theory. Consensus among philosophers, with which I would agree, is that if this was indeed Kant's ambition, he failed. Even in Kant's own day, his...
by Ginkgo
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Without God, there's really no such thing as "morality"...and neither warrant not possibility of any substance or obligation to subjective "moral" claims. Of course there is morality without God. For example, Kantian ethics demonstrates that morality can be universalized, therefore it is an objecti...
by Ginkgo
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Immanuel Can wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 pm
IF there were a God, and IF He had a moral nature and had given moral directives, there would be absolutely no problem in saying morality was objective.
And if it turns out that God does not exist then you account of morality is grounded in a myth.
by Ginkgo
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Ginkgo wrote: "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time, will that it should become a universal law," is an example of a non-value judgement. This is a command, not an assertion expressing a judgement. Imperative and declarative clauses have different functions. Yes, I know...
by Ginkgo
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Ginkgo wrote: Kant claims that the categorical imperative is apriori and can only be discovered through reason. Kant also claimed that morality cannot be discovered through experience. One cannot learn how to act by referring to subjective moral theories. This is why he made the distinction between...
by Ginkgo
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Ginkgo wrote: Are you disagreeing with Kant's claim that moral behaviour can be universalized, or are you saying that the categorical imperative question begs? I'm saying that morality must be subjective, because a moral assertion expresses a value-judgement rather than making a factual claim. So t...
by Ginkgo
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

Ginkgo wrote: Kantian ethics is objective because moral conduct can be universalized. His categorical imperative does not question beg. I disagree. Kant made the same mistake as Aristotle, confusing the (possibly factual) reason for making a moral judgement with the judgement itself. Are you disagr...
by Ginkgo
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1833
Views: 64390

Re: What could make morality objective?

[quote="Peter Holmes]
Does any moral objectivist here have an answer that doesn't beg the question?

Kantian ethics is objective because moral conduct can be universalized. His categorical imperative does not question beg.
by Ginkgo
Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 am
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: Can you honestly say the universe has no center?
Replies: 35
Views: 1649

Re: Can you honestly say the universe has no center?

Actually, the universe has no centre and prior to the Big Bang it also had no centre because there was no time and space. The universe is not expanding out of a centre, it is the same everywhere, the universe expands equally in all places. It's funny when people assume that they know the universe. ...
by Ginkgo
Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 am
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: Can you honestly say the universe has no center?
Replies: 35
Views: 1649

Re: Can you honestly say the universe has no center?

All movement extends from a point, with all points being centers in themselves. The universe can have infinite centers, due to the presence of 0d point space as a quantum median, which summate as one point. All points in themselves are centers of origin, with these centers being origins of movement...