Search found 271 matches

by Dimebag
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:00 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

In a sense Henry you are correct, that which you believe you conceive. You mind makes it real. Your experience of reality IS your reality. So for you, you experience being a locus of experience, a point of view, an agent of causation. That can ALL exist WITHIN the illusion. Just as in a story, the c...
by Dimebag
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:22 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Just as no one ever questions their experience of the world, thinking what they see and hear is them having direct contact with the world, the same can be said of our selves, we never think about ourselves, and wonder what is this one whom I take myself to be, inside this body, experiencing the worl...
by Dimebag
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:40 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

So if the Self receives Volition or Intention from somewhere else then where is that somewhere else? What is generating our Volitional urges? My answer, all your predispositions, unconscious biases, behaviour patterns, personality traits, etc. All of that is beyond your control and determines the c...
by Dimebag
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:20 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Because this is the way it appears to me. I do not sense that I am just a passive Observer of my Volition. You could be right but I don't see it. Maybe you believe you have given all the possible evidence, for lets call it Zombie Volition, but I am not yet convinced. I’ll put it another way, voliti...
by Dimebag
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:45 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:25 pm lets call it Zombie Volition
If you are not convinced, then what word would you like to use instead of 'Zombie' ?
I think passive is a good word.
by Dimebag
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:58 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Speaking words is an immensely complicated coordination of Mouth Muscles and Lung Control. It would be virtually impossible to Speak if we had to be Conscious of every Muscle movement that was needed. We all have hundreds, maybe thousands of little Mind Programs that can be executed when our Voliti...
by Dimebag
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:59 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

When awareness is looking as the body, it takes responsibility or ownership of the actions of the body. Look at it this way. When you perform a rote (well rehearsed task) you feel like you are doing it. But, you don’t have to think about the individual actions right? So, what’s really going on is, ...
by Dimebag
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:06 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

In some sense “you” produce the action. But in a trivial way, because “you” are merely there, the “observer” of it all, all things pass through you, but you are passively watching. Now, when an action happens, the person “you” think you are, actually recedes, and action just happens, in a flow like...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

I just thought of something. I am Volition. Being Aware is good. But without Volition you might as well be nothing. I think of it a different way. Action happens through us. We are awareness (or consciousness if you like). Consciousness “drives” action (I.e. sense leads to response, in a reflex lik...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Dimebag wrote: Have you ever noticed, that your wife tells you, “you are a different person around your friends”? That’s because, you actually are. Your identity informs the way you act, what is appropriate and what’s not, things you can and can’t say. Even the way you speak, including accents, or ...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:41 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

It’s true that there is only one “I”, there is no other, but, the actual “I” or awareness, can merge, or can remain attached to its contents. For that reason, this affects awareness’s own understanding of itself, or in other words, it’s identity. But identity is like a tree like structure in the min...
by Dimebag
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

henry quirk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:51 pm
AlexW wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:25 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:52 am
First round on me.
Now you're talking :D
g & t, bit of lime: I'm good to go

or beer...lots of beer

let's go, gentlemen
Well that’s one way to lose your self :wink:
by Dimebag
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Everything is not all in our Heads. Our Brain/Mind creates the reality that we Experience out of Surrogate materials of Mind Stuff, so we can Detect the External World. Maybe I missed something, but do you deny the existence of an external Physical World? This is how the higher function of the orga...
by Dimebag
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

I can see language is very important to you, Well, only here, because it's the only way you and I can share ideas at the moment. It's really all we have. ...but you seem to think that the logic of language defines the reality of the brain and human existence. No, I don't think that. But I do think ...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 6215

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Is it a thinking thing, or, do thoughts happen in it? "In" what? :shock: What is this "it" of which you speak? "It" must be a thing, because "it" is grammatically just a pronoun, and every pronoun holds the place of a particular proper noun. What's the proper noun you mean when you say "it"? You se...