Search found 425 matches

by Dimebag
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

henry quirk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:51 pm
AlexW wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:25 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:52 am
First round on me.
Now you're talking :D
g & t, bit of lime: I'm good to go

or beer...lots of beer

let's go, gentlemen
Well that’s one way to lose your self :wink:
by Dimebag
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Everything is not all in our Heads. Our Brain/Mind creates the reality that we Experience out of Surrogate materials of Mind Stuff, so we can Detect the External World. Maybe I missed something, but do you deny the existence of an external Physical World? This is how the higher function of the orga...
by Dimebag
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

I can see language is very important to you, Well, only here, because it's the only way you and I can share ideas at the moment. It's really all we have. ...but you seem to think that the logic of language defines the reality of the brain and human existence. No, I don't think that. But I do think ...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Is it a thinking thing, or, do thoughts happen in it? "In" what? :shock: What is this "it" of which you speak? "It" must be a thing, because "it" is grammatically just a pronoun, and every pronoun holds the place of a particular proper noun. What's the proper noun you mean when you say "it"? You se...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:48 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

I expect you mean deep dreamless sleep. Some dreams contain self awareness, some don't. There is no self in a dream. The self arises as a conceptual idea, which is emptiness appearing full. . I understand Dimebag's description of the self without ego self. Once, briefly, I lost my ego self and foun...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:36 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Skepdick wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 am
Dimebag wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:42 am Where you look from IS what you are, awareness, everything else plays on its surface.
There are many things which are awareness that are not me, therefore I am not awareness.

I don't know what I am. I only know that I am.
Maybe, but do they appear IN awareness?
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:42 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

As I see it, the only thing one cannot doubt is that there is "something" rather than "nothing" - doubt can only arise once one attempts to describe and interpret what this "something" actually is. Well, for certain, you know it has to be a thinking "something." It has to be a conscious entity. If ...
by Dimebag
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:08 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

As DAM mentioned, in Indian spiritual traditions, there is still the belief in a “higher self”, the true self, or pure awareness. And this can still be conceived as an I. It is an experiencing I, but not a thought based I. It is impersonal, meaning it is not the source of likes, dislikes, or problem...
by Dimebag
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Here is a simple introspective experiment. Perform some simple task, like picking up a cup, or something banal and easy like that. Now, after you do that, reflect back on the experience, and see if you can remember doing it, or whether it felt like you almost disappeared? This for me has that sense,...
by Dimebag
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:04 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

So just to sum up, IC, you seem to feel there is some definite internal essence or subject to which experiences occur, and that accounts for the sense of a self? Sorry, DB...I didn't see your question, because you didn't happen to use the quote feature. Yes. It's inescapable. One cannot say, "There...
by Dimebag
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:34 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

I am my Experiences. This might be all I am. But Experiences might encompass more than we usually think they do. So what do you think experiences them? Or do experiences inherently contain the “experiencer” within them in your view? Do you think there is somewhere it “all comes together”? I know yo...
by Dimebag
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:20 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

"Be observed "is grammatically in the passive voice" It does not specify any observer, nor exclude any. "The observer" is the subject of the sentence, but not the doer of the action, therefore. There is no reason why a second observer cannot observe he first observer. That would be the observer als...
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

So just to sum up, IC, you seem to feel there is some definite internal essence or subject to which experiences occur, and that accounts for the sense of a self?
by Dimebag
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:20 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: Humanity is literally mad
Replies: 8
Views: 1096

Re: Humanity is literally mad

You seem to be inquiring as to the purpose of all this. The closest I can come to answering this is: This realm is a Divine game, with the goal being to escape the game. Like entering a labyrinth. I'm here to help consciousness escape the game, not to engage in philosophical debates, as thought is ...
by Dimebag
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:05 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 369
Views: 22711

Re: The observer cannot be observed

The Light seemingly comes and goes in a form that I can Experience, but I know that when it is there it is still what I am. In the Physical world I can look at my Hand and say that is Me, but if I look away and don't see my Hand anymore it doesn't mean my Hand is not part of my Physical existence. ...