Search found 2006 matches

by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:56 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Let me convince you that none of you are Classical logicians!
Replies: 368
Views: 13254

Re: Let me convince you that none of you are Classical logicians!

This is bollucks Premise 1 implies C=A, if you take "=" to mean equals. Yet premise one means that A is an example of C, not that it is the same as C. Human is not equal to John; Human is not equal to Jane. So Jane and John though they are both human are not the same as each other, except in respec...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

1984 is FICTION. Ah, yeah. I think everyone agrees to that. I mean, the content of the book is fiction, but there really was such a book, that's not fiction. It really had an author, that's not fiction. The author really wrote "war is peace, peace is war," that is not fiction. It's a good example o...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 pm
Forum: Gender Philosophy
Topic: Bias Against Transgenders
Replies: 339
Views: 20401

Re: "you can think yourself a woman"

Oh, a person can 'think' of himself in all manner of ways. Stan, a white man, can 'think' he's a black woman, of that I have no doubt. But Stan does not need to think of himself as white, or even think of himself as Stan. He is simply carrying around a burden when he does. Essentialism is a choice.
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm
Forum: Gender Philosophy
Topic: Bias Against Transgenders
Replies: 339
Views: 20401

Re: Bias Against Transgenders

...you are not interested in any answers,... Actually, I heard all of yours. I got them, believe me. You say: essentialism is nothing more than a ball and chain, by which we organise our prejudices. So "being a man/woman" is nothing-in-particular (i.e. having no essential characteristics; non-essen...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:17 pm
Forum: Gender Philosophy
Topic: Bias Against Transgenders
Replies: 339
Views: 20401

Re: Bias Against Transgenders

For others, I'm going to repost my original questions. Anybody who has an answer to any of them is welcome to comment. In summary, then: are we essentialists, or not? We cannot be both essentialists and non-essentialists rationally. Are we sure that biology is more negotiable than psychology, and w...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

No, he was saying that by 1984 that is what philosophers would be teaching. He was right. Rubbish. He was saying nothing of the kind and no philosopher has EVER taught that. Well I think it is exactly what George Orwell was saying, but it's an opinion not worth arguing about, unless you are really ...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: Locked Mind Thought Experiment
Replies: 87
Views: 4087

Re: Locked Mind Thought Experiment

Light does not continue forever. Well, it's got a pretty good shelf-life. We can see light that is nearly 14 billion years old. Neither does life. Wouldn't argue with that. And while we cannot be certain that life = consciousness, I suspect your implication that consciousness ends at death is corre...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:56 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Let me convince you that none of you are Classical logicians!
Replies: 368
Views: 13254

Re: Let me convince you that none of you are Classical logicians!

Premise 1. John is human ( A = C ) Premise 2. Jane is human ( B = C ) By the transitive property: John is Jane (A = B) You can now go and blame Aristotle for identity politics... This is bollucks Premise 1 implies C=A, if you take "=" to mean equals. Yet premise one means that A is an example of C,...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:52 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

Rc - I really don't understand your approach. You seem to have abandoned philosophy for opinion. Feel free to do so, but I don't know how to engage in a discussion if you see no need to counter opposing views before adopting one. So I have to retire from this one. I am starting to know what you mea...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:50 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

RCSaunders wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:24 pm
Sculptor wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:28 am
He is not saying it as a philosophical statement.
No, he was saying that by 1984 that is what philosophers would be teaching. He was right.
Rubbish.
He was saying nothing of the kind and no philosopher has EVER taught that.
You still have not addressed my points.
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:48 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: Locked Mind Thought Experiment
Replies: 87
Views: 4087

Re: Locked Mind Thought Experiment

...as a side note, the 800lb Gorilla in the room is the Conscious Self that does the Experiencing of Redness. Well yeah. Whatever consciousness is, it is indistinguishable from a miracle. Given the evident association with physical brains, my hunch is that consciousness is, in effect, the 'field' g...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: Locked Mind Thought Experiment
Replies: 87
Views: 4087

Re: Locked Mind Thought Experiment

If you scan the Brain you are detecting Neural Activity not actual Conscious Experience. What sort of proof is going to satisfy you? None. Neural activity is consciousness. Nothing is going to show "ACTUAL consciousness". All science is representation. War & Peace does not show actual War. A fallin...
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:28 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

Impenitent wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:23 am
Sculptor wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:35 am
Impenitent wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:16 am


George Orwell

-Imp
Quote please!
1984

-Imp
It's a FICTION. FFS
He is not saying it as a philosophical statement.
You need to follow a thread in order to comment on it.
You are irrelevant.
by Sculptor
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

It is not that people are saying that black is white, but in reality most things are actually neither black or white, and you think in Black and white terms. Obviously everything is not black and white, there are many shades of grey, which are all mixtures of black and white. Fortunately, for those...
by Sculptor
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:22 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Philosophy, If You Want It
Replies: 36
Views: 1350

Re: Philosophy, If You Want It

When I said truth is false, I was using shorthand. I did not think I'd have to spell it out. Truth is not facts. What people hold to be truth is often false, as well you must know. It is philosophy's greatest asset to demonstrate conditions for showing this to be the case. In the list you give, I'd...