Search found 49 matches

by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:12 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:01 pm Why does there need to be a point?
If there needs be no point - then there needs be nothing said.
If there needs be noting said - then there needs be no language; or linguistic categories.

And yet you speak.
And so do you
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:03 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:01 pm Why does there need to be a point?
Because you keep shifting the goalposts and drawing distinctions. And so I imagine you are trying to make a point...

If you aren't then I'll just stop responding now :)
Okay
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:01 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:59 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm If Russians and Mexicans are connected by genetics, should all Russians and Mexicans be categorized by the UN as genetics?
And you are cherry-picking again. They are also separated by genetics.

And still not getting to a point.
Why does there need to be a point?
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:53 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:50 pm How are Russians and Mexicans similar and different?
Similarities: Genetics
Differences: Genetics, Place of birth, Language, Culture
If Russians and Mexicans are connected by genetics, should all Russians and Mexicans be categorized by the UN as genetics?
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:50 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

Human minds stem from the universe, therefore categorization stems from the universe. No. Human minds are PART OF the universe. By saying "stem from" you have already drawn a distinction and categorized minds separate from universes. Therefore categorization is PART OF the universe. Because categor...
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:43 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

Correct as in logical. You made the argument about categorization being necessary, therefore since categorization stems from the universe and so does humanity, is it rational to call any person the universe? Depends on your standards for rationality. Both the universe and people are made of exactly...
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:23 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

If categorization is correct, should any person be known as the universe? By what standards of 'correctness'? Every person is a (small) part of the universe. Correct as in logical. You made the argument about categorization being necessary, therefore since categorization stems from the universe and...
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:16 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:08 pm Why categorize the universe?
So you can speak about certain aspects of it.

For example. You could say: "There is a bear behind you!" and save somebody's life.

Try saying anything without having categories (nouns)!
If categorization is correct, should any person be known as the universe?
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:08 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm If planets aren't real, why did people create the word?
So they can categorize the Universe.
Why categorize the universe?
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

So planets possibly don't exist? Planets are "celestial bodies moving in an elliptical orbit round a star". There are OTHER celestial bodies orbiting a star. NOT in an elliptical orbit. Comets. Moons. etc. The word 'planet' is a category/interpretation. Celestial bodies are real. Planets are not. I...
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:04 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 pm Immigration is an interpretation of reality
So are "planets". Are you going to get to a point?
So planets possibly don't exist?
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:59 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:58 pm Planets and galaxies are real. Squatting, immigrating and deserting isn't
Moving from one country to another is not real? I beg to differ.

I moved from Eastern Europe to South Africa.

I am an immigrant.
Immigration is an interpretation of reality
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:57 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:57 pm The point is that if humanity believes in categorization, then people should be called planets and galaxies
You are categorising right now. Planets and galaxies are categories.
Planets and galaxies are real. Squatting, immigrating and deserting isn't
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:57 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

Parrots don't use money, or create institutions and militaries Again. What is your point? You seem to be moving the goalposts all the time. Apes create militaries(armies) and institutions (societies) and wage turf wars against one another. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War The poin...
by trokanmariel
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:51 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?
Replies: 104
Views: 7249

Re: Why does the public look at philosophy with disdain?

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:37 pm
trokanmariel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm People can speak. Planets can't
Why is that important? Parrots can speak too. So can dolphins. Most animals have means for communicating with one another.

Why have you cherry-picked people?
Parrots don't use money, or create institutions and militaries