Search found 964 matches

by Speakpigeon
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: Why still no science of logic?
Replies: 47
Views: 1543

Why still no science of logic?

Why no science of logic? By logic, I mean deductive logic. By science of logic, I mean a scientific investigation of logic as objective performance and manifest capability of human beings, investigation that would try to develop a formal model of logic which would be accurate and operational. I can'...
by Speakpigeon
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:09 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

Still, assuming as you do that time doesn't exist, what then makes two clocks stay (broadly) synchronised? I could ask a similar question about space, of course, but maybe answering the one about time will provide an answer to the one about space. So, do you know? Nothing makes them stay synchroniz...
by Speakpigeon
Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

Speakpigeon, clocks are synchronised because we agreed to synchronise them. I didn't ask why clocks are synchronised. I asked why they stay broadly synchronised. We agreed on the criterion for synchronising clocks. So, what's the criterion? Say we have two clocks. We synchronise them and we watch t...
by Speakpigeon
Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

jayjacobus wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:42 pm
Speakpigeon wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm
jayjacobus wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:51 pm
Time cannot exist without a function to create it.
Why not?!
Because it progresses.
???
Time progresses?!
Whoa.
Relative to what?
EB
by Speakpigeon
Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

What is time? Time is the relationship between the motion of entities. Just as length or distance and direction are the static relationship between entities, time is the relationship between entities when either their distance or direction from other entities changes (moves). Time, like length and ...
by Speakpigeon
Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: Do humans have a soul?
Replies: 215
Views: 7692

Re: Do humans have a soul?

Your elbow joint, Immanuel, is directly experienced and also objectively observed in action by yourself. Unlike your elbow joint your brain has no proprioceptors so you cannot observe your own brain in action. If your brain had proprioceptors you would no more attribute a spirit to your physical br...
by Speakpigeon
Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

jayjacobus wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:51 pm
Time cannot exist without a function to create it.
Why not?!
EB
by Speakpigeon
Tue May 28, 2019 7:20 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: Do humans have an inherent capacity to decide that a conclusion follows necessarily from premises?
Replies: 5
Views: 376

Re: Do humans have an inherent capacity to decide that a conclusion follows necessarily from premises?

The question is this: Do humans have an inherent capacity to decide that a conclusion follows necessarily from premises? (Inherent capacity: not dependent on formal or informa learning) While the capacity is natural, it is nurture that is necessary to bring this ability to fruition. Children, for e...
by Speakpigeon
Tue May 28, 2019 1:28 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

Speakpigeon wrote: Which is first? Time or change? Is time change or is change change over time? Time is one of the dimensions of change. Other dimensions of change are spatial dimensions. Time of an event relates to time of other event or events. There is no absolute time, excepting eternity. Ther...
by Speakpigeon
Mon May 27, 2019 12:35 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Can truth be understood as math?
Replies: 2
Views: 199

Re: Can truth be understood as math?

Could Truth be understood as the theorems of human knowledge where basic facts are its axioms? ∃Facts ⊆ Human_Knowledge ∃x ∈ Language(Human_Knowledge) (True(Facts, x) ↔ (Facts ⊢ x)) We know a few facts. Facts are meaningful assertions we happen to know are true. Sometimes we have the necessary voca...
by Speakpigeon
Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Any science of logic?
Replies: 105
Views: 3415

Re: Any science of logic?

That's not at all what we think knowledge is. Who's "we." You have no idea what I know knowledge is. That's fallaciously incomplete. I have no idea what you're talking about. I also don't care what you may possibly think you think. We, i.e. me and other human beings here on Earth, if we know that p...
by Speakpigeon
Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: What is time?
Replies: 315
Views: 7361

Re: What is time?

Time is sequential change. How does that explain that it takes the same time for two people to grow up? Or for two ice-cubes to thaw? EB What you describe is duration not change over time OK, so, If time is sequential change as you claim, and change is not duration as you claim, then time is not du...
by Speakpigeon
Sun May 26, 2019 5:59 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: How do we say this using the notation conventions of mathematical logic?
Replies: 6
Views: 326

Re: How do we say this using the notation conventions of mathematical logic?

Sorry, I don't know which one to respond to. You know you can still modify your posts, so please, make clear which one is your reply. EB What it the most conventional way to formalize this? Γ is a set of WFF of F C is a WFF of F Every element of Γ is true C is provable from Γ This is my first guess...
by Speakpigeon
Sun May 26, 2019 10:35 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Any science of logic?
Replies: 105
Views: 3415

Re: Any science of logic?

How could you know the reason something works if you don't know all the reasons it could possibly fail? That is tantamount to saying, "if you don't know everything, than you don't know anything," No, it's not. If I'm looking at a house, I know what I'm looking at. Yet, I still don't know what the h...
by Speakpigeon
Sun May 26, 2019 10:19 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: How do we say this using the notation conventions of mathematical logic?
Replies: 6
Views: 326

Re: How do we say this using the notation conventions of mathematical logic?

Sorry, I don't know which one to respond to. You know you can still modify your posts, so please, make clear which one is your reply.
EB