Search found 393 matches

by Peter Holmes
Sat May 25, 2019 5:42 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

Peter Holmes wrote: But rules have no truth-value (true or false). And that's why moral rules and assertions aren't factual. It depends on the language and social context of the moral rule or assertion. For instance "We believe that marriage is a lifelong commitment" : "Marriage is a lifelong commi...
by Peter Holmes
Sat May 25, 2019 5:02 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Peter, 1 Mothers will (or do) try to protect their babies. 2 Mothers should try to protect their babies. These utterances are divorced from real life. In real life every utterance has a social context. For instance: 1. "Mothers will try to protect their babies" said the dairy farmer to the dog walk...
by Peter Holmes
Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

Peter Holmes wrote: I think you're ignoring what morality (manifest in a moral code of some sort) actually is: rules guiding the way we behave towards others and the values or aims that inform those rules. That's what I think morality is. Okay. But rules have no truth-value (true or false). And tha...
by Peter Holmes
Fri May 24, 2019 9:12 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Peter, I'd agree that moral universalism is true in the weakest sense that , all else being the same , all humans agree on certain universal principles. But this is a very weak version of moral objectivism because all else is never the same. For instance mothers will try to protect their babies is ...
by Peter Holmes
Fri May 24, 2019 1:27 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Univalence wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Peter Holmes wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 am
'are moral assertions matters of fact (objective) or matters of opinion (subjective)?'
You keep refusing to answer the same question re: epistemic assertions.

I question your intellectual integrity and honesty at this point.
Feel free. I question your grasp of the issues. Stalemate.
by Peter Holmes
Fri May 24, 2019 1:25 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Moral Objectivism { Philosophy Index } www.philosophy-index.com/ethics/meta-ethics/objectivism.php Moral objectivism is the position that moral truths exist independantly from opinion. There are several versions of moral objectivism, of varying levels of strentgth. They area, from weakest to strong...
by Peter Holmes
Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

"Is morality objective or subjective?" doesn't make sense. You may as well ask "Is public transport objective or subjective?" You can express a value judgement about someone's moral code, and about public transport , or about anything else. And you can describe some moral code without evaluating it...
by Peter Holmes
Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

You ignore the first definition of 'error', which is 'a mistake', choosing to go for the second 'being wrong in conduct or judgement'. Yes. because it gets to the point quicker. You are welcome to define "mistake" for us also. And you seem to have forgotten my explanation that what we call 'truth' ...
by Peter Holmes
Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 211
Views: 4398

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Let me cut to the chase: To be objective is to rely on facts, rather than judgements A fact describes a feature of reality correctly 1. Would you say that the notion of 'correctness' is a judgment? 2. https://www.google.co.za/search?q=define+correct adjective: correct 1. free from error; in accorda...
by Peter Holmes
Thu May 23, 2019 9:03 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

Peter Holmes wrote: A people's social behaviour may be guided by a morality (a moral code), but to say their social behaviour is the same kind of thing as a moral code is false. It's a category error. A people's social behaviour is a part of their culture. Cultures change and " moral codes" change ...
by Peter Holmes
Wed May 22, 2019 8:52 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

Peter Holmes wrote: Talk of moral epistemology makes no sense until it can be demonstrated that there are moral things that can be known. In other words, morality isn't about knowledge, empirical or otherwise. Of course, if such things are shown to exist, I'll have to re-think it all. Perhaps my us...
by Peter Holmes
Wed May 22, 2019 2:10 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

The expressions 'objective morality' and 'moral facts' are oxymorons, in my opinion. And I've explained why I think morality is not a matter of knowledge. The distinction between 'facts' and 'moral facts' is equally unjustified. If you think facts can be known, but moral facts can't be known then y...
by Peter Holmes
Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

I assume we're part of a reality I am with you so far... consisting of things Yep. Still with you.... that can be known - of which there can be knowledge. This is where we part ways. How did you argue yourself into this position? May I suggest you read my 'An argument against moral objectivism' whi...
by Peter Holmes
Wed May 22, 2019 1:32 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

Talk of moral epistemology makes no sense until it can be demonstrated that there are moral things that can be known. If the above statement is true, then talk of epistemology (moral or otherwise) makes no sense either until it can be demonstrated that things can be known. In other words, morality ...
by Peter Holmes
Wed May 22, 2019 1:04 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 1659
Views: 39698

Re: What could make morality objective?

I disagree. The point (and importance) of this question is the justification for the moral rules and values that inform a culture. But your question - what could make a culture objective? - is indeed incoherent. You are speaking about 'incoherence' and 'justification'. It sounds to me like you are ...