Search found 1943 matches

by commonsense
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:09 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: How can I know right from wrong?
Replies: 80
Views: 1769

Re: How can I know right from wrong?

Because unlike you I do not see that everyone has their own individual consciences. And whilst you hold this belief, then it 'has to' be true, right, and correct, for you? Drop the sarcasm. When you said that you “do not see...” you said as much as you don’t believe... So, whilst you do not see, it...
by commonsense
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:58 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: How can I know right from wrong?
Replies: 80
Views: 1769

Re: How can I know right from wrong?

Consider this: there are Muslims and Jews who avoid eating pork because their religion says so and their conscience dictates that they adhere to religious rules. An atheist’s conscience wouldn’t require observance of such rules.
by commonsense
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:03 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: How can I know right from wrong?
Replies: 80
Views: 1769

Re: How can I know right from wrong?

I do not know an adult human being who always follows the(ir) Conscience. So, we agree that (the) Conscience guides human beings to do the right thing, and that that is Its actual purpose. Do we also agree that there is just one Conscience? Or do you say that every human being has their very own in...
by commonsense
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:00 pm
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: Do any of you clowns have a fucking job?
Replies: 14
Views: 317

Re: Do any of you clowns have a fucking job?

:lol: I've wondered how many people here are simply sitting around stewing in their stagnant mental states, while they spout off about one manic thing or another? Who here has a real paying job and doesn't routinely rely on any kind of government financial assistance/payouts? After all, how broad c...
by commonsense
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:32 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: How can I know right from wrong?
Replies: 80
Views: 1769

Re: How can I know right from wrong?

Lack of accountability is a factor in indifference to the callings of conscience. Its formalization began for the States with a policy called No Child Left Behind. There was no longer any shame in failing. There was no reason to try your best or to take pride in your efforts. After all, everyone rec...
by commonsense
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:32 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: How can I know right from wrong?
Replies: 80
Views: 1769

Re: How can I know right from wrong?

Is this an absolute fact? Or, just your view on this? It is my view that this is absolutely true because it is impossible to be otherwise. I thought that this was obvious. To ignore conscience is to defeat the very purpose of the thing. Conscience without its purpose cannot be conscience. Did you k...
by commonsense
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:16 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: How can I know right from wrong?
Replies: 80
Views: 1769

Re: How can I know right from wrong?

Or, do they actually have a Conscience, but they just choose to ignore It? No. Is this an absolute fact? Or, just your view on this? It is my view that this is absolutely true because it is impossible to be otherwise. I thought that this was obvious. To ignore conscience is to defeat the very purpo...
by commonsense
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: Capitalism v Socialism
Replies: 20
Views: 580

Capitalism v Socialism

I have no problem contrasting capitalism and socialism. However, it seems to me that capitalism and free enterprise are the same.

(n.b. I have revised the thread title where I was able.)
by commonsense
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: Capitalism v Socialism
Replies: 20
Views: 580

Capitalism v Socialism

henry quirk wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm
What you shoulda titled the thread: Free Enterprise vs Capitalism/Socialism
What is the difference between free enterprise and capitalism?
by commonsense
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: Capitalism v Socialism
Replies: 20
Views: 580

Capitalism v Socialism

Both have both benefits and disadvantages in particular situations, but on the whole does one system offer more than the other?
by commonsense
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 pm
Forum: Coronavirus Discussions
Topic: 2020: not safe for anyone...beer virus humor, etc. (post your own)
Replies: 584
Views: 7085

Re: beer virus humor (post your own)

Dubious wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:09 pm
It seems Gestapo methodologies were transferred to the U.S. after the war - especially if one is off-color.
Maybe earlier than that.
by commonsense
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Boredom and Isolation
Replies: 11
Views: 916

Re: Boredom and Isolation

Isolation doesn't have to be boring. There are plenty bored people who aren't isolated. More to the point, there are isolated people who aren’t bored. That was the meaning of Isolation doesn't have to be boring. The converse of that would be There are plenty bored people who aren't isolated. Got it...
by commonsense
Sun May 31, 2020 8:42 pm
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: space suits
Replies: 3
Views: 153

Re: space suits

The suits can double as COVID suits :mrgreen:
by commonsense
Sun May 31, 2020 6:46 pm
Forum: Coronavirus Discussions
Topic: 2020: not safe for anyone...beer virus humor, etc. (post your own)
Replies: 584
Views: 7085

Re: nuthin' to see here...

henry quirk wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:07 pm
commonsense wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
henry quirk wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:22 pm
EF82D68A-1C9A-4EB2-9F06-D245F83D97D1.jpegF48E65F8-A7D5-4802-ABF0-0689B02A90A0.jpeg
Unbelievable juxtaposition. Explain yourself.
nope
Okay
by commonsense
Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Forum: Coronavirus Discussions
Topic: 2020: not safe for anyone...beer virus humor, etc. (post your own)
Replies: 584
Views: 7085

Re: nuthin' to see here...

henry quirk wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:22 pm
EF82D68A-1C9A-4EB2-9F06-D245F83D97D1.jpegF48E65F8-A7D5-4802-ABF0-0689B02A90A0.jpeg
Unbelievable juxtaposition. Explain yourself.