Search found 1464 matches

by commonsense
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Are Numbers Manmade?
Replies: 75
Views: 967

Re: Are Numbers Manmade?

If you are USING language, you are USING it in the imperative mood, while pretending (intentionally or ignorantly) to be using the declarative mood. When you say "this IS an apple", what you are really doing is saying "you OUGHT to be called an apple". It's a command/instruction: you WILL call this...
by commonsense
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: My view is that a is not a and is a.
Replies: 63
Views: 461

Re: My view is that a is not a and is a.

A definition is an imposition upon reality. A definition is an abstraction of reality. All things are unique. Each thing exists in its own temporal and spacial reality. a is not equal to a in reality, only in abstract. Clones? No not even clones can occupy the same space/time. In effect every oak l...
by commonsense
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:15 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: My view is that a is not a and is a.
Replies: 63
Views: 461

Re: My view is that a is not a and is a.

All things are unique in some way. No two oak leaves are the same. Since things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to one another, it would be impossible to say there are two oak leaves since 1+1=2, that would be a lie since each leaf is different. You could only say that there is a l...
by commonsense
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:26 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: My view is that a is not a and is a.
Replies: 63
Views: 461

Re: My view is that a is not a and is a.

Impenitent wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:43 pm
henry quirk wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:12 pm
An oak leaf is an oak leaf: A is A.
a gold oak leaf is a major while a silver oak leaf is a lt. colonel …

-Imp
An oak leaf cluster signifies a repeated award.
by commonsense
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:28 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: What Light Is (Not)
Replies: 4
Views: 105

Re: What Light Is (Not)

Impenitent wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:41 pm
light depends on gravity

-Imp
More gravity, less light.
by commonsense
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:12 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: My view is that a is not a and is a.
Replies: 63
Views: 461

Re: My view is that a is not a and is a.

In discussion or understanding with words we talk about what is the same. However nothing remians the same except in a limited way. All things are unique in some way. No two oak leaves are the same. Since things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to one another, it would be impossible...
by commonsense
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:01 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Valus and Things
Replies: 8
Views: 163

Re: Valus and Things

TheVisionofEr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm
Nobody said anything about killing. The issue is what is written.
Is there some other way to destroy humans?
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:22 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Are Numbers Manmade?
Replies: 75
Views: 967

Re: Are Numbers Manmade?

...all phenomena, please
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:56 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Are Numbers Manmade?
Replies: 75
Views: 967

Re: Are Numbers Manmade?

Yes, of course ostensively!

I think the same method is used to name anything. I suppose it would take a certain amount of prior vocabulary and present examples. I’m afraid I’m not well read in philosophy of language.
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:34 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Are Numbers Manmade?
Replies: 75
Views: 967

Re: Are Numbers Manmade?

He created A, but did he create whatever steps are involved in creating a name for a (new) thing? A is itself. A rose is a rose is a rose. “That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” ~ W.S.Shakespeare How did a rose come to be associated with its name, I.e. the word “rose”? ...
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Ethical Relationships
Replies: 5
Views: 82

Re: Ethical Relationships

Ethical Relationships In reality everything that we do and society does, has ethical significance, and pragmatism is the main restraint on what can be achieved...We relate to people in aggregate. We relate to social-politcal groups of people. Social-political groups relate together and to the globa...
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:46 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Are Numbers Manmade?
Replies: 75
Views: 967

Re: Are Numbers Manmade?

Do we invent the symbol making process? In so far as the invented/discovered distinction doesn't matter - yes we do. Aristotle started it all. Law of identity. A is itself. And he created A. He created A, but did he create whatever steps are involved in creating a name for a (new) thing? And is the...
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Valus and Things
Replies: 8
Views: 163

Re: Valus and Things

Maybe destroying the human being is the most beautiful of all the gods or values avalible to the human sense of inner autonomous engenuity. There’s nothing beautiful about killing a human being. Nothing. By extension, there’s nothing beautiful about killing more than one human being and nothing bea...
by commonsense
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:32 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Are Numbers Manmade?
Replies: 75
Views: 967

Re: Are Numbers Manmade?

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 am
Do we invent the symbol making process?
What rules are there, if any, to the process of assigning symbols to numbers (or assigning symbols to anything)?