Search found 2077 matches

by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:49 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

Well, that is his whole argument. You are not measuring space. You are measuring time. Everything is at a certain time distance away from you. When you observe something, what you are observing is something in the past. How can you measure the distance to something in the past? So space does not ex...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:35 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

standard clock? to tell about something that doesn't exist... regularly I believe... Yes, the standard clock. You just measure motion of everything respect to your standard clock. Then you can say that a specific event took that much of time, amount of motion that your standard clock makes. newer? ...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:28 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

Like many other philosophical discussion. What is the benefit? You just know more. So the eight hours I spend at work tomorrow, now I know there is no such thing as time, will feel pretty much like the eight hours I spent there yesterday, when I believed in time? I can't help but question if it was...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:33 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: What is the use of consciousness when it comes to thought?
Replies: 93
Views: 9022

Re: What is the use of consciousness when it comes to thought?

what is involved in driving a car? what are your eyes doing? is that all? what are your hands doing? is that all? what are your feet doing? is that all? what are your ears doing? is that all? that's at least 4 discreet and different things at once... aren't you glad you are habitually (in Plato's a...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:30 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

farmers "know" when to plant, when to harvest... That really doesn't mean that time exist. We just know that we should do something in a specific condition, when our standard clock tell us. besides, the language itself, complete with verb tenses, denotes time -Imp That only mean that there is order...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:47 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

It is a good answer. We are curious beings and we enjoy any fruitful debate. I think there is quite a way to go before this debate yields any fruit ripe enough to eat. Can you really not give me a specific answer the the question, In what way would people benefit by rejecting the idea of time? Like...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:43 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: We cannot have a relationship with God
Replies: 182
Views: 12847

Re: We cannot have a relationship with God

That is no question begging based on definition . The question begging or circular reason is when the conclusion supports premise. You may be right but it is beside the point. The fact remains that your argument relies on God being changeless. If it turns out that God isn't changeless, you no longe...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:35 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: We cannot have a relationship with God
Replies: 182
Views: 12847

Re: We cannot have a relationship with God

God is changeless. Relationship is about cause and effect. As an example, you do something to please another person (act), this act changes the person (effect), the person in reply does something to please you. This means that making relationship with God is impossible since we cannot change Him. S...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: What is the use of consciousness when it comes to thought?
Replies: 93
Views: 9022

Re: What is the use of consciousness when it comes to thought?

. Yeah,...um, like I said, you are viewing a framework that doesn't exist. That framework is actually your problem. The fact that you off-handedly dispense my opinion is telling. Making an asinine statement that both halves of the brain cannot work simultaneously is below the dignity of this forum....
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:08 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: We cannot have a relationship with God
Replies: 182
Views: 12847

Re: We cannot have a relationship with God

That is not question begging. You can assume otherwise and see how argument precedes. Yes it is begging the question. Your original assertion is based entirely on the primes that God is changeless yet it has not yet been established that he is changeless. That is no question begging based on defini...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:00 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: In the same way you benefit from debates on any subject.
That's not much of an answer. Can you not give an answer specific to my question?
It is a good answer. We are curious beings and we enjoy any fruitful debate.
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:43 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: We cannot have a relationship with God
Replies: 182
Views: 12847

Re: We cannot have a relationship with God

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: We can define it for sake of argument
But I think this is what is known as begging the question. It's sort of like cheating.
That is not question begging. You can assume otherwise and see how argument precedes.
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:40 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Time does not exist.
Replies: 547
Views: 39376

Re: Time does not exist.

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: So most people are wrong. That is the use of argument/debate to overcome ignorance.
In what way would people benefit by rejecting the idea of time?
In the same way you benefit from debates on any subject.
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:38 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: What is the use of consciousness when it comes to thought?
Replies: 93
Views: 9022

Re: What is the use of consciousness when it comes to thought?

. I think the problem that you are confronting is actually caused by the way you framed the problem . Forget conscious & sub-conscious gestalts. These are old and generally non-accepted concepts in modern schools of thought. There are , physically and philosophically, two halves of our brains . For...
by bahman
Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:16 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: We cannot have a relationship with God
Replies: 182
Views: 12847

Re: We cannot have a relationship with God

Harbal wrote:
bahman wrote: We define God as Changeless being.
How do we know he is changeless?
We can define it for sake of argument otherwise we are talking about another God.