Search found 776 matches

by wtf
Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Refuting Gödel's 1931 Incompleteness Theorem in one sentence
Replies: 121
Views: 2080

Re: Refuting Gödel's 1931 Incompleteness Theorem in one sentence

We could for example provide an cancer doctor that is all knowing about cancer. This machine would have the sum total of all human general knowledge immediately available for any purpose. Isn't that just the failed idea of expert systems straight out of 1980? Correction. 1965. https://en.wikipedia....
by wtf
Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Does anyone here actually understand formal proofs of mathematical logic?
Replies: 122
Views: 1979

Re: Does anyone here actually understand formal proofs of mathematical logic?

PeteOlcott wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:07 am
AND the Sound deductive inference model proves this is impossible.
In the Sound deductive inference model True is ONLY PROVABLE TRUE,
thus NOT PROVABLE IS NOT TRUE.
Hilbert's failed dream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert%27s_program

Wir müssen wissen.
Wir werden wissen.
by wtf
Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

Instead of looking for such an Integer in the Axiom of Choice ... That's pathetically incoherent. The concept that it is fruitless to look for an integer that is both greater than and less than 5 is incoherent? What do you think that would have to do with the axiom of choice? I really want to hear ...
by wtf
Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

PeteOlcott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:57 pm
Instead of looking for such an Integer in the Axiom of Choice ...
That's pathetically incoherent.
by wtf
Sat May 11, 2019 11:20 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

PeteOlcott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:10 pm
I barely read what you wrote.
All the best brother.
by wtf
Sat May 11, 2019 10:35 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

PeteOlcott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:23 pm
no physical or
conceptual thing can ever totally contain itself.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-well- ... set_theory
PeteOlcott wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:55 pm
Counter-examples to stipulated definitions are not allowed.

Are you honestly under the impression that this is a coherent response to what I wrote?
by wtf
Sat May 11, 2019 9:45 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

I'd like to make some comments on your reply. I don't feel that I"m arguing a position, so you don't need to snap back at each point. I'm just outlining some of the obvious objections that: 1) Will be asked by ANYONE you present your ideas to; 2) And that in my opinion, you haven't handled very well...
by wtf
Fri May 10, 2019 11:01 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

There cannot possibly be a counter-example to my thesis I presented one. Several times. But if you don't think the axiom of choice is a counterexample, just tell me whether it's true or false. You'd become famous if you could answer that question. But you can't even be bothered to look it up on Wik...
by wtf
Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

I am not going to bother to learn every detail of all of mathematics to prove a single point. What you call a "detail" is in fact a counterexample to your thesis. That you can't be bothered to engage with it shows you're not serious. The axiom of choice is the CLASSIC EXAMPLE of a closed wff that i...
by wtf
Fri May 10, 2019 5:51 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

That question was absurd. I don't answer those. The question was perfectly sensible. I asked you about the consequences of redefining material implication to be logical conjunction. So that "2 + 2 = 4 AND Washington is regarded as the father of his country" is the same truth connective as "2 + 2 = ...
by wtf
Fri May 10, 2019 3:33 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

PeteOlcott wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:11 am
It sure as Hell makes much more sense than saying that every truth is logically
entailed by either falsehood or contradiction.
Avoiding the question I asked?
by wtf
Fri May 10, 2019 12:13 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

I would correct it to conform to the English meaning this way: Logical implication p q p ⇒ q T T T T F F F T F F F F Isn't that what everyone else calls logical AND? Would you say that * 2 + 2 = 4 and George Washington is regarded as the father of his country. and * 2 + 2 = 4 THEREFORE George Washi...
by wtf
Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?
Replies: 86
Views: 2419

Re: Possible consequences of falsifying the principle of explosion?

Instead of undecidable logic sentences "proving" incompleteness of formal systems they are merely rejected as derived from unsound deduction. That doesn't make any sense. If a sufficiently interesting system is consistent, it must necessarily contain closed wffs that can neither be proven nor dispr...
by wtf
Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Converting formal proofs to conform to sound deduction
Replies: 30
Views: 1683

Re: Converting formal proofs to conform to sound deduction

Copyright ???? Pete Olcott It's not a legal copyright without a year. When I was a tech writer (a very long time ago) I learned to write "Copyright (C) 1920 Thomas Edison Company" in exactly that format. Just some free legal advice. And of course I'm not a lawyer and the law might have changed sinc...
by wtf
Fri May 03, 2019 4:23 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Converting formal proofs to conform to sound deduction
Replies: 30
Views: 1683

Re: Converting formal proofs to conform to sound deduction

mortal adjective of a living human being often in contrast to a divine being subject to death. Thanks for clarifying your thinking. You are making the point that under your understanding of logic, we should analyze the word "mortal" and so forth. I'd submit that if you show the phrase "All men are ...