Search found 593 matches

by The Inglorious One
Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:18 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: "freewill"
Replies: 64
Views: 5214

Re: "freewill"

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Nothing is atemporal, except concepts that do no work and have no extension.
Does reality have a beginning? Do either randomness or necessity have a beginning?
by The Inglorious One
Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:49 pm
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: "freewill"
Replies: 64
Views: 5214

Re: "freewill"

What determines randomness? And HOW does the mind manage to mediate this WITHOUT being determined? How can a thing be random when it has been chosen? "Freewill" implies limitation and coordination. Randomness (freedom) and necessity do not exist independently nor is their coexistence temporal. The ...
by The Inglorious One
Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 am
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: Questioning the supremacy of mathematical formalism in understanding the universe
Replies: 40
Views: 3677

Re: Questioning the supremacy of mathematical formalism in understanding the universe

“The final solution was approached in… turning around the question. Instead of asking: How can one in the known mathematical scheme express a given experimental situation? the other question was put: Is it true, perhaps, that only such experimental situations can arise in nature as can be expressed ...
by The Inglorious One
Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:57 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: "freewill"
Replies: 64
Views: 5214

Re: "freewill"

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
The Inglorious One wrote: Yes: determinism and randomness mediated by mind.
And what determines randomness, and how does the mind mediate without being determined?
You answered your own question.
by The Inglorious One
Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:56 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: "freewill"
Replies: 64
Views: 5214

Re: "freewill"

i'm inclined to believe in determinism because logic dictates it. no one can deny the existence of order in the universe, which necessitates the existence of causation. only strict cause and effect can produce order. the existence of -any- randomness is not only impossible, but would only lead to i...
by The Inglorious One
Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:52 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Russell on the Value of Philosophy
Replies: 66
Views: 7061

Re: Russell on the Value of Philosophy

Real thought requires struggle. Culture's laborious emergence from the immediacy of “substantial life” always begins by getting acquainted with general principles and points of view, work up to a general conception of real issues, and then learning to apprehend the rich abundance of life by differen...
by The Inglorious One
Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:55 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

It is in man's nature to transcend nature—at least in part. This makes us a god-like species, giving us the ability to have a huge impact on our environment. It also makes us vulnerable. Every time we strike a match, we are in a sense “playing God.” Yet, the vast majority of human beings would peris...
by The Inglorious One
Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:53 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

A human being is the only creature that has to learn how to identify with universe realities and conform to nature. To negate the self by “unlearning” is to do just the opposite: it is to oppose nature and set oneself apart from the fullness of life's gifts. Simply put, it is a way of escaping from ...
by The Inglorious One
Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:13 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

Again, I am a fan of Watts. I recommend youtubing "Alan Watts is God for 10 minutes" and somewhat ironically, "The wisdom of the ridiculous." Done it. I don't like Watts on YouTube. As a showman I think he sucks. He's a much better writer than a speaker. Also, the world would be a better place if a...
by The Inglorious One
Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

henry quirk wrote: Er, Crom is fiction...never said I 'believe' in Crom.
No kidding? Gee, I thought you believed Conan the Barbarian was holy script. :lol:
"You have lots of content, but no depth."
Yeah, I know.
Then we both do. :wink:
by The Inglorious One
Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

You didn't answer my question. If you understand as much as you say, then you must admit that much of what passes for philosophy of religion in this forum, especially amongst atheists, is utterly absurd. Questions like how many gods there are and whether it's moral for God to punish us is just meani...
by The Inglorious One
Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:45 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re:

"Isn't that what you were getting at with the Meister quote?" My point: don't look around the room for the elephant, just look in the mirror. Good point, very good. I accept that. But how do you convey what Eckhart means to an outsider if they do not first acknowledging the validity of the Watts ex...
by The Inglorious One
Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

Question begging means using circular logic. I haven't done that. This is not the first time someone called Watts' argument flawed and then proceed as though the assertion did not need elaboration (the conclusion is among its premises: Watts argument is flawed because it's flawed). It is the first ...
by The Inglorious One
Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:32 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

Jaded Sage wrote:Question begging means using circular logic. I haven't done that.
Your credibility is gone.
by The Inglorious One
Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here
Replies: 80
Views: 6333

Re: Philosophy of Religion Begins Here

Clearly, Paul's statement is mystical as we've defined here. The other is interesting, in the original form. It sounds panentheistic or pantheistic. That analogy isn't very helpful. I've never read anything mystical that sounds like that. This is pointless. You're begging the question. You've made ...