Search found 3965 matches

by Obvious Leo
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: A Critique on Objective Morality
Replies: 356
Views: 27713

Re: A Critique on Objective Morality

If you can't see the circularity of this argument then we have a problem. Perhaps the problem is that you may have overlooked the emphatic hypothetical "IF." I was not asking you to believe it (yet), and I wasn't asking you to concede my hypothetical condition to be true (yet): it's sufficient if y...
by Obvious Leo
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:53 am
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: A Critique on Objective Morality
Replies: 356
Views: 27713

Re: A Critique on Objective Morality

Immanuel Can wrote: IF there actually is such a standard, then if two people disagree you just use whatever the actual objective moral standard is, and judge the case by that, of course.
If you can't see the circularity of this argument then we have a problem.
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:06 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: A Critique on Objective Morality
Replies: 356
Views: 27713

Re: A Critique on Objective Morality

Immanuel Can wrote:The answer to that wouldn't be hard IF such a thing as an objective moral standard existed. Then it would be very easy, wouldn't it?
In that case please answer the question.
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:35 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"
Replies: 81
Views: 6692

Re: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"

Well, I'm obviously not in a position to discuss the source, but I have disclosed a series of mystical occurrences relating to Ouzo, including visual and auditory hallucinations, automatic writing, and instances of apparently divine inspiration, guidance and intervention that I would be more than h...
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:00 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: A Critique on Objective Morality
Replies: 356
Views: 27713

Re: A Critique on Objective Morality

IC. How can one know this universal moral position which you claim must bind us all? If you say that a particular action is good and I say that it is bad then by what objective standard would a third party be able to judge which of us is right? For instance I reckon that brainwashing children into b...
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"
Replies: 81
Views: 6692

Re: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"

Mr. Oblivious, you continue to mistake the meaning of the term "prophecy" in this context as being a prediction instead of a divinely inspired utterance. By "divinely inspired" do you mean originating from a source external to physical reality? That sounds about right. Tell us about this transcende...
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: Does the past exist ?
Replies: 59
Views: 5787

Re: Does the past exist ?

But if everybody forgets about this fact and there will be no records of it, where and how will this fact exist ? The information of the event will continue to exist regardless of whether the event is recorded or remembered because ALL events in physical reality are causal agents which initiate a c...
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:47 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"
Replies: 81
Views: 6692

Re: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"

bobevenson wrote: Mr. Oblivious, you continue to mistake the meaning of the term "prophecy" in this context as being a prediction instead of a divinely inspired utterance.
By "divinely inspired" do you mean originating from a source external to physical reality?
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:32 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"
Replies: 81
Views: 6692

Re: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"

(please refer to the book of Revelation and "The Ouzo Prophecy" for additional details). The entrails of poultry have traditionally been considered as far more reliable portents of the future, Bob. The Romans ruled the world for a millennium on the back of this methodology so you should give it a t...
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:00 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: A Critique on Objective Morality
Replies: 356
Views: 27713

Re: A Critique on Objective Morality

That's like the difference between cutting someone's hair and severing their limbs. No it isn't. The moral issue being considered is one of mutilating the genitals of children without their informed consent. Why is it OK to do this to boys and not to girls? Kindly answer this question in the contex...
by Obvious Leo
Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:22 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: A Critique on Objective Morality
Replies: 356
Views: 27713

Re: A Critique on Objective Morality

The bible clearly insists that the genitals of little boys be mutilated so on what logical grounds should this commandment not be extended to little girls? Kindly explain the "objective" difference. Heh. Well, I could give you a primer on the difference between a bris and a female genital mutilatio...
by Obvious Leo
Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: Why are bombs OK, but guns bad?
Replies: 334
Views: 24992

Re: Why are bombs OK, but guns bad?

The simple fact is that in everyday society enjoyed by all the countries of Europe and most of the rest of the world, the possession of guns is not a need nor a necessity. This statement very much reflects the majority opinion in my country. Most people quite literally would not be able to comprehe...
by Obvious Leo
Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:36 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: ~ The Case For Socialism ~
Replies: 349
Views: 20601

Re: ~ The Case For Socialism ~

SpheresOfBalance wrote:What, do I make you nervous now,
You don't make me nervous, SOB. I've been around a long time and your type are ten a penny.
by Obvious Leo
Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:33 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"
Replies: 81
Views: 6692

Re: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"

What? That wasn't in the reading at all. It wasn't in the highly selective passage offered for our comment but it was part of James' world-view nevertheless. Essentially he was saying that the personal experiences of epiphany experienced by the few can have long term consequences for the many becau...
by Obvious Leo
Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:18 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"
Replies: 81
Views: 6692

Re: "The Varieties of Religious Experience"

Jaded Sage wrote: I must've missed something. Did somebody say he meant someone like Manson? Within context yes. William James was arguably the first scholar to establish behavioural psychology as a legitimate science and when this lecture is taken into context it becomes clear that his ideas in th...