Search found 8188 matches

by Immanuel Can
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:45 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: How to Derive "Ought" From "Is" J. Searle
Replies: 6
Views: 44

Re: How to Derive "Ought" From "Is" J. Searle

Veritas Aequitas wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:53 am
Here is a very convincing argument on How to Derive "Ought" From "Is" J. Searle.
Not so convincing.

PN had an article called "Thoughts On Oughts" that dealt with why this one doesn't work. It's an old argument, and a failed one.
by Immanuel Can
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:43 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

it's still a moral opinion which I can explain rationally - and that explanation may persuade others. What "explanation" is that? You haven't explained why anybody else should be "persuaded" by it...you've just gratuitously claimed they might. You can't demonstrate moral objectivity, I can't demons...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:38 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity
Replies: 173
Views: 3230

Re: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

But Jesus was no anarchist. He wanted the power for himself. And yet, he insisted, "My kingdom is not of this world," and when the Jewish people tried to take him and make him a king by force, he evaded their hands. Even when his disciples implored him, "Lord, is it now you're establishing the king...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity
Replies: 173
Views: 3230

Re: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

What is held to be right or wrong are manmade criteria . That's flawed thinking. What "is held to be" right or wrong only speaks of the fallible opinions of men. What "IS right or wrong" speaks of whether or not their opinion is correct. Those are different issues. The function of right and wrong i...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:21 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity
Replies: 173
Views: 3230

Re: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

The old saying is right: When people stop believing in God, they don't believe nothing ; instead, they believe anything. That makes no sense. Non belief in one thing does not result in belief in "anything". Blank cynicism leads to credulity. When one doesn't know what truth is, one can't detect fal...
by Immanuel Can
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:15 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

...the content is a value a part of Peter's personal ethics. Personal ethics =/= moral truth. Thus, questioning that content makes the question a bad question. There's actually no such thing as "personal ethics." One can't "owe something" strictly to oneself, so there is no possible "ought" there. ...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

Sculptor wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 pm
[Do you think the pyramids were made without science; or Stonehenge?
Silly boy. :D

He thinks every use of a tool, every wheel, hammer or chisel, every potion cooked up in a shaman's pot is "science."

Better look up "scientific method."
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:17 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

And I stand by it. So how does "Peter does not like slavery" translate to "It is wrong to enslave people?" Is it a moral imperative that everybody must like what Peter likes? Or does Peter not really care about slavery enough to condemn it in any way that might actually make a difference? What if i...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:07 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

Peter Holmes wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:18 pm
This is unbelievably tedious, as ever. WAFWOT.
Run, Peter, run.

You can't answer the question. How is the claim "Peter doesn't like X" important to anyone but Peter? And how is that "moral"?
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:06 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity
Replies: 173
Views: 3230

Re: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

What "lots of people " believe is not an external standard, but is intersubjective. The external standard you invoked was not "what lots of people believe": it was "time and place." Your words, not mine. You claim that these features make a moral position right or wrong. I was just saying that's no...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

Moral condemnation does not 'invoke the agreement of others'... Then explain what "this is wrong" means, more than "Peter doesn't happen to like X." If you can't, then you're obviously wrong about that. A condemnation that is strictly private is no moral condemnation at all. Rubbish. Can't do it. I...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:55 pm
Forum: Introduce Yourself
Topic: Is God necessary for morality?
Replies: 73
Views: 831

Re: Is God necessary for morality?

Immanuel Can wrote: This is a very difficult moral shake up when people often feel bereft of any fixed moral compass bearing... I wonder who you could be talking about. I don't think Christians are at all having that experience, and I'm certainly not feeling that. Maybe you're speaking more about h...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:47 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity
Replies: 173
Views: 3230

Re: Smart Christianity / Dumb Christianity

Immanuel Can wrote: No. On logic. What does "perspective" matter, if the perspective is wrong? But there is no external standard of right and wrong or of what a religion should be. Sure there is. There are lots of people, for example, who believe religion should be "the truth," or "reality," if you...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:26 pm
Forum: Introduce Yourself
Topic: Is God necessary for morality?
Replies: 73
Views: 831

Re: Is God necessary for morality?

I don't understand. Don't you think The Bible was authorised by God ? Not just "authorized." That's too weak a word. "Revealed," is a better word, perhaps. But since the Bible clearly affirms human freedom of the will, it's hard to see how that would help your case. Maybe you'll explain... at a cer...
by Immanuel Can
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: There are no moral facts
Replies: 86
Views: 610

Re: There are no moral facts

Moral condemnation does not 'invoke the agreement of others'... Then explain what "this is wrong" means, more than "Peter doesn't happen to like X." If you can't, then you're obviously wrong about that. A condemnation that is strictly private is no moral condemnation at all. In fact, at least in ma...