Search found 45 matches

by Gustaf
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

Gustaf, I would add that there is a huge moral difference between accidental and purposeful killings. Would you say that condemning a murderer is hypocritical because of the thousands of people who die in car accidents every year? Not at all. But someone who is in favour of spending resources to fi...
by Gustaf
Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:29 am
Forum: Introduce Yourself
Topic: Hello from sewage waste truck driver
Replies: 27
Views: 10341

Re: Hello from sewage waste truck driver

I heard being a long distnacve lorry driver give you the same luxury of being able to zone out whilst on long hauls That is a common practice in the industry, but it is not what one would call a "best practice". There is a reason why driving a vehicle for a living puts you in the top 10 most danger...
by Gustaf
Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:06 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

Say person A has a rare blood disease that can only be cured by running a 9 month round-the-clock infusion from person B. Would we be allowed to hold person B against his will and force him to support person A? This really depends on whether or not B has willfully taken action that, as any reasonab...
by Gustaf
Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:58 am
Forum: Introduce Yourself
Topic: Hello from sewage waste truck driver
Replies: 27
Views: 10341

Re: Hello from sewage waste truck driver

I am back to doing network security. There is simply not enough money in sewage hauling, school bus driving, etc. - especially if you live in an old house that is in serious need of some repairs. It is nice to have a job where zoning out for a few seconds will not result in me crunching a few cars a...
by Gustaf
Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:25 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

Would you kill a 3 year old child ? Probably not. Then ask the same question: would you kill a 2 year old, 1 year old, one month old, one second old, two days before being born, a month before being born, .... You can make the steps of one minute only. There is no other possibility than to make a s...
by Gustaf
Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:22 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

That's a good way for a politician to behave, but I reckon a philosopher needs more than just "it's not very interesting" as a reason to dismiss an argument. It is perfectly reasonable to do so. There is an infinity of arguments I could spend time thinking about, so I necessarily must reject some, ...
by Gustaf
Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:18 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

duszek wrote:How about making space for innocent babies by disposing of bad adult individuals ?
I am in favour of euthanasia for people who simultaneously oppose abortion and also oppose subsidized daycare and welfare for single mothers.
by Gustaf
Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

If 50% of pregnancies miscarry and you conclude that it's therefore ok to intervene and terminate the pregnancies then what does that say about 100% of lives ending and whether we can intervene and terminate them early? Ask whoever is making this argument. If, and I say "if", life starts at the poi...
by Gustaf
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:45 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

-about 50% of all conceptions spontaneously abort - if we are to take the anti-abortion movement's claims at face value, this means we have an ongoing epidemic worse than the Black Death. But since they are in fact not really concerned about this, they are clearly arguing in bad faith. 100% of huma...
by Gustaf
Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:01 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

The Catholic church would say: because the embryo has a soul and is therefore a human being. This claim requires a great deal of clarification and support before it can be much of an answer. What is a "soul"? What is the evidence for its existence? In what way is a human being harmed by being kille...
by Gustaf
Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:42 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Why is abortion necessary?
Replies: 60
Views: 18421

Re: Why is abortion necessary?

What are some reasons to be for abortion? I personally are AGAINST abortion, it's murder! But for my R.E class, we are talking about abortion and the religious attitudes to contraception and abortion. Bad thing is, my teacher just asked the class to write a debate speech on abortion, and she hersel...
by Gustaf
Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer
Replies: 81
Views: 21920

Re: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer

Someone who is stupid enough to bring a baseball bat to a gunfight would, even if they survived that particular incident, do something else suicidally stupid sooner or later. e.g. celebrating 21st birthday with 21 shots of tequila, street racing in their car, whatever. If someone celebrates their bi...
by Gustaf
Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:39 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer
Replies: 81
Views: 21920

Re: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer

chaz wyman wrote:Clearly you don't know what a PhD is! LOL I have one. You only need one. Very few people have more than one.
There is this thing called 'sarcasm'. I suppose they do not teach it to substitute gym teachers.
by Gustaf
Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:34 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer
Replies: 81
Views: 21920

Re: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer

chaz wyman wrote:
Gustaf wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:Actually I have a PhD in Ancient History, an MA in Intellectual History and a Post grad qualification in IT teaching.
And I am the Queen of Sweden.

Is that a gay thing?
With all your PhD's you could not think of a better comeback?

What are you going to do next, racial slurs?
by Gustaf
Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:01 am
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer
Replies: 81
Views: 21920

Re: Teen Shot Dead By Police Officer

Actually I have a PhD in Ancient History, an MA in Intellectual History and a Post grad qualification in IT teaching. And I am the Queen of Sweden. Telling you to get a life is a heart felt piece of advice to a brain dead moron. You definitely sound like a teacher there. I have no trouble believing...