Search found 3299 matches

by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

Skepdick wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 pm
attofishpi wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:55 pm
The coins are proven to be equal in every way.
That's exactly what I would expect a manufacturing fault to produce.

Equally biased coins.
Illogik
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:55 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

But you stated:- "God" is whatever made your coin biased. So? I could've assigned any label to "the thing that made the coin biased". You assigned the label "God". I assigned the label "Manufacturing fault". And so when I use the phrase "manufacturing fault" you can translate that into your languag...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

Do you see the problem of quick fire posting!!!
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

Skepdick wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:49 pm
attofishpi wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pm
Let's say we can determine there was no bias.
Define "absence of bias" without appealing to the language of statistics?

Absence of bias implies 50/50 coin.
But you stated:- "God" is whatever made your coin biased.
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

I have a question. Suppose I asked 1000 people to toss a coin - all the coin have heads and tails. I state, that at least 90% of those coins will result in tails, because God exists, and 'it' will make it so. Well over 900 of the coins turn up tails. Is this any form of evidence? If so what is it c...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:46 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

I'll tell you what they MEAN LESS than - the etymology that they are supposed to have arrived from. Etymology is not prescriptive. How a word evolved needs not be the way I use it. I have a question. Suppose I asked 1000 people to toss a coin - all the coin have heads and tails. I state, that at le...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

This is what I am trying to suck out of you! The words you used is that language is MEANINGLESS - to you what is above language that us mere humans typically converse in? Denotational semantics are meaningless. They reduce down to grammar! Philosophical language games/linguistics. Operational seman...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

It's ultimately a simple case of requiring definitions - translation. If you put that into a compiler you'd get an error, unless the programmer of the compiler had attributed some logic to correctly compile it to binary in the desired way - similar goes for someone learning a new language. OK! So l...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

So you under_stand that language has meaning - a purpose? You are equivocating 'meaning'. To the person who writes the words - there is some meaning. Even if that meaning is only intent. To the person who reads the words - no meaning can be inferred unless an intent can be inferred also. What is th...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:23 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

It's by no means a strawman. You ARE stating that language is meaningless. One cannot address the metaphysical study of the nature of being and existence without some form of communication - between each other and to ones self...using language. And you are the one who's tripping up over me saying i...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

"Understand" - I am not sure we can continue to BOTHER conversing using language if you see it as meaningless. In fact, what to you does it MEAN LESS than? This is called a strawman. I don't think I am going to engage it beyond the minimum necessity. Language is for communication. Not ontology. Ont...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

Skepdick wrote:The language I use to describe myself it not my ontology. It's just language. Meaningless language.
"Understand" - I am not sure we can continue to BOTHER conversing using language if you see it as meaningless.

In fact, what to you does it MEAN LESS than?
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:57 pm
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: The Simulation Argument
Replies: 158
Views: 4970

Re: The Simulation Argument

I wish you would quote at least two levels deep as I do - it keeps things a little more in context for any readers, and myself when attempting to ensure I am still within the context on my replies ;) You are not mapping the mind - not mapping the brain! You are triggering the synaptic connections mi...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:40 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: God, Satan, Adam and Eve, and origin of evil
Replies: 13
Views: 102

Re: God, Satan, Adam and Eve, and origin of evil

It is said that God created Satan with evil nature (Satan could feel pride) and Satan was first who fell in the sin of pride. Satan then fooled Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge. The question is who is the origin of Evil? Hi bahman Do you believe these things literally - or as a metaph...
by attofishpi
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:01 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: God, Satan, Adam and Eve, and origin of evil
Replies: 13
Views: 102

Re: God, Satan, Adam and Eve, and origin of evil

It is said that God created Satan with evil nature (Satan could feel pride) and Satan was first who fell in the sin of pride. Satan then fooled Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge. The question is who is the origin of Evil? Hi bahman Do you believe these things literally - or as a metaph...