Search found 8185 matches

by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:35 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: slavery
Replies: 7
Views: 55

Re: slavery

"only"? yep, only ...banning didn't stop it or blunt it...banning only forced a shift in business model Your argument doesn't admit of nuance. Taken to its logical extreme it would ban banning anything by appeal to uselessness. bans, enacted by gov, of anything, are useless slavery is just plain wr...
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: rules are for the ignorant
Replies: 6
Views: 40

Re: rules are for the ignorant

TANSTAAFL is still true

it'll always be true cuz that's how Reality works

-----

Heinlein cannot be necessarily be credited with the ideas of his characters

he can for this one (and a whole whack of others he crammed into his characters' mouths: he weren't no commie
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: On wars
Replies: 39
Views: 263

Re: On wars

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:04 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:59 pm

me too
it's got to be what I judge as a just war

if it is: I'll serve
You sure must love government if you're eager to die for it.
first, if the cause is just (I determine that) I don't give a flip if gov is on my side or the other side

second, if I'm lucky, I won't be the one dyin'
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:44 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: slavery
Replies: 7
Views: 55

Re: slavery

Slavery existed almost everywhere in history until whites abolished it. Blacks should support white power. slavery still exists, and thrives, almost everywhere outlawin' it in certain places only pushed it underground "only"? yep, only ...banning didn't stop it or blunt it...banning only forced a s...
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: slavery
Replies: 7
Views: 55

Re: slavery

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:36 pm Slavery existed almost everywhere in history until whites abolished it. Blacks should support white power.
slavery still exists, and thrives, almost everywhere

outlawin' it in certain places only pushed it underground
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: rules are for the ignorant
Replies: 6
Views: 40

Robert Heinlein

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:04 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: On wars
Replies: 39
Views: 263

Re: On wars

commonsense wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm HQ, if you were the right age for it, would you go to war?
yep
me too
it's got to be what I judge as a just war

if it is: I'll serve
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:02 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: On wars
Replies: 39
Views: 263

Re: On wars

Would you sell your wife or child for a TV? no, cuz I love them, and, slavery is wrong, but: sure as shit, I'll shoot a stranger who comes into my home and tries to make off with what's mine (tv, computer, spatula, toothpick, piece of moldy bread, etc.) What happens if your wife or child attempts t...
by henry quirk
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: On wars
Replies: 39
Views: 263

Re: On wars

commonsense wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm HQ, if you were the right age for it, would you go to war?
yep
by henry quirk
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:33 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 98
Views: 729

Re: The observer cannot be observed

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm
thanks for nuthin', DAM
You're welcome Henry.

And just remember, any time your in for another one to one encounter, do pop in, I am open all hours of eternity. :D
get bent, guy
by henry quirk
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 98
Views: 729

Re: The observer cannot be observed

ok? no, not okay I'm tried to be nice about all this (and I got nuthin' but lecture for my trouble), so, let me be plain... you're wrong..flat out, plain as the very real, very crooked, nose on my lopsided face; wrong on just about everything in this thread...your assessments of the world, reality,...
by henry quirk
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:54 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: P=P is a Contradiction
Replies: 241
Views: 833

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Because of circular reasoning, the beginning is the same as the end. It is arguing identity is a loop which contradicts the standard fallacies. so, if I say I am me (and no other) , that is, quirk is quirk , my self-reference (circular reasoning) is contradictory and -- in fact -- I am not me ok, t...
by henry quirk
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Forum: Applied Ethics
Topic: On wars
Replies: 39
Views: 263

Re: On wars

What has any of that got to do with war?

hell if I know...I was respondin' to a non-war comment made up-thread by klewchuk
by henry quirk
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 98
Views: 729

Re: The observer cannot be observed

The painful separation Metaphor is also known in the Jesus Christ story when Jesus was hanging on the cross. In his despair he cried out to his Father, why have you forsaken me. But upon realisation just before he passed away, it suddenly dawned on him that he was the one aka the child of his Fathe...
by henry quirk
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: The observer cannot be observed
Replies: 98
Views: 729

Re: The observer cannot be observed

But how would you know you've never suffered from separation anxiety or existential angst if this feeling has never been your experience? obviously, if I never feel anxiety or fear when alone, if I don't pine for the company of others, if the absence of others brings no apprehension: I don't have s...